Author Topic: reviewing the wild card game  (Read 2510 times)

Offline vernon337

Re: reviewing the wild card game
« Reply #50: March 21, 2020, 11:33:53 AM »
Was thinking last night how this game -- and the bottom of the eighth specifically -- is the epitome of how having the breaks go their way was the difference between this past year's team and some of those pennant winners earlier in the decade.

I know it's a point that was made at the time, but, damn! The Zimmerman hit would have been an easy out in other years.  And then to have the Brewers right fielder make such a basic error at THE CRUCIAL POINT of the whole game!  That was Bill Buckner territory. 

Not taking anything away from Soto's hit, as clutch as you can get and even more impressive because he hadn't even been able to get the ball into fair territory in his first three at bats (what a gift to have such irrational confidence in yourself -- reminds me of QBs who have a horrible game up until the last quarter, then carve their opponent apart to win the game, or a basketball shooter who ...)

I believe the 2019 team won partly because they were more cohesive than past editions, but I also have to acknowledge that luck was a factor.  And that's okay.  We were due some.   

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #51: March 21, 2020, 11:49:37 AM »
I've said it before. Everything broke right for us in 2019.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #52: March 21, 2020, 05:55:43 PM »

Aided by literally staying in the fight after things were going south. Some of the ump calls in that game and others were stunners

Offline rileyn

« Reply #53: March 22, 2020, 07:30:05 AM »
Every team that wins can look back and point to things that broke their way (luck) that allowed them to win.  Do you think the Cardinals spend this much time talking the close strikes on Game 5 2012 that could have ended the game, or the ball up the middle that Desmond couldn't handle?  Do the 2014 Giants talk about Standard Decision taking JZimm out of the game like we talk about Grienke from Game 7.  Do the 2016 Cubs talk about that crazy ass inning where Matt Weiters spazzed on us behind the plate?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #54: March 22, 2020, 10:00:30 AM »
Every team that wins can look back and point to things that broke their way (luck) that allowed them to win.  Do you think the Cardinals spend this much time talking the close strikes on Game 5 2012 that could have ended the game, or the ball up the middle that Desmond couldn't handle?  Do the 2014 Giants talk about Standard Decision taking JZimm out of the game like we talk about Grienke from Game 7.  Do the 2016 Cubs talk about that crazy ass inning where Matt Weiters spazzed on us behind the plate?
We didn’t play the Cubs in 2016. Point taken though.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #55: March 22, 2020, 11:41:34 AM »
I don't think there is a right or wrong answer yet on who is the guy to go to in a big game between Max and Stras.   
I think the decision would rest heavily on who pitches better in relief.  There's not enough data at this point, I think I've seen each once, but based on that, Strasburg seems better in relief than Max.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #56: April 02, 2020, 03:03:40 PM »
Bottom of the 7th on replay

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #57: April 02, 2020, 03:09:29 PM »
Bottom of the 7th on replay

Grins popping up in Brewers dugout and field, crowd shots aplenty; commentators actually noting that the the crowd senses this is a different team -- and that the Brewers have gotten the benefit of a lot of calls as the ump calls a really low one a strike

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #58: April 02, 2020, 03:55:33 PM »
Did we win?

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #59: April 02, 2020, 05:38:46 PM »

Yep, but that is the only way you win a championship that is given to a winner of 3-4 small sample sized playoff series.   The key ingredients to winning a World Series are 1. Make the playoffs 2. Have a team (esp starting pitchers) capable of competing against the best 3. Be healthy 4. Be lucky.   Everything else is superfluous.