Author Topic: Countdown to Opening Day: 2020  (Read 4911 times)

Offline ajcartwright

Re: Countdown to Opening Day: 2020
« Reply #125: July 23, 2020, 09:50:12 AM »
I'm not even really excited to have them back, as I feel the product is going be basically an extended spring training.  Lots of players out, lots of players not in full game shape.  All of the rules changes, players shuffling in and out.  It's a de facto exhibition season.

I guess it will be better than nothing, which is the best compliment I can give the effort at this point.
agreed

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #126: July 23, 2020, 09:51:49 AM »
I will admit to barely paying attention the last few weeks.  I'm not even really excited to have them back, as I feel the product is going be basically an extended spring training.  Lots of players out, lots of players not in full game shape.  All of the rules changes, players shuffling in and out.  It's a de facto exhibition season.

I guess it will be better than nothing, which is the best compliment I can give the effort at this point.

After four months of COVID-induced sports shut-down I'm practically willing to try anything once.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #127: July 23, 2020, 10:01:32 AM »
I'm excited but it's not the same as a normal year for sure.  Will be a weird season.  More excited for NHL playoffs since they are basically finishing what they largely completed. 

Offline tenken627

« Reply #128: July 23, 2020, 10:21:07 AM »
Well we may be stuck on 1 (or 2..) because yeah... DC mid-summer storms waits for nobody... corona smoroma

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #129: July 23, 2020, 11:00:27 AM »
0-0

Everyone's record on Opening Day as the defending World Series Nationals embark on their quest for a repeat!

Offline catocony

« Reply #130: July 23, 2020, 11:23:12 AM »
This season will have to have a ginormous asterisk beside it in the record books as far as World Series goes.  It's a one off, so regardless if the Nats do well or poorly, they'll still be the defending champs next year to a lot of people.  This season, even if they make it through October, just won't be a legitimate season. 

It really is like spring training - no real League identity, just playing the teams closest to you.  Guys moving in and out every day.  Fredericksburg becomes the complex for the summer, where the guys stay in shape or get healthy while shuttling in and out of the active roster.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #131: July 23, 2020, 11:45:46 AM »
Number 8 on the initial ESPN power rankings. A good thing since ESPN is usually wrong.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29503275/2020-mlb-season-preview-power-rankings-everything-need-know-60-game-sprint

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #132: July 23, 2020, 11:55:55 AM »
Well, we did it! Made it to opening day! Here's to whatever the season may be, at least we have one :cheers:

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #133: July 23, 2020, 01:59:36 PM »
I am the target audience, I guess, because I enjoyed the exhibitions and am looking forward to this series.  There's only so many Marvel Universe movies and Zwift simulation TdF stages i can watch.  As long as Thanos isn't calling the balls and strikes (not the guy you want to argue with), I'm good.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #134: July 23, 2020, 03:17:21 PM »
I am the target audience, I guess, because I enjoyed the exhibitions and am looking forward to this series.  There's only so many Marvel Universe movies and Zwift simulation TdF stages i can watch.  As long as Thanos isn't calling the balls and strikes (not the guy you want to argue with), I'm good.

I'm just looking forward to watching baseball again.

Offline Tim Cullen

« Reply #135: July 23, 2020, 04:14:59 PM »
Will the flag raising at CF plaza and above the scoreboard be televised live?  The game is slated for 7:08 with the broadcast starting at 7:00 on ESPN.  I know if this was the originally scheduled opening day these activities would've probably been happening prior to a TV broadcast.  I  hope they don't just show us a quick shot of the flag raising before the first pitch. I was hoping that MASN would have a pregame show that featured this but I checked their TV schedule tonight and it doesn't appear so.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #136: July 23, 2020, 04:23:37 PM »
Will the flag raising at CF plaza and above the scoreboard be televised live?  The game is slated for 7:08 with the broadcast starting at 7:00 on ESPN.  I know if this was the originally scheduled opening day these activities would've probably been happening prior to a TV broadcast.  I  hope they don't just show us a quick shot of the flag raising before the first pitch. I was hoping that MASN would have a pregame show that featured this but I checked their TV schedule tonight and it doesn't appear so.
I’m sure they will show some highlights even if not live. I mean how long does a flag unveiling take?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #137: July 23, 2020, 05:12:27 PM »

my kids were thinking of going down to the park, team store is open until 9, they figure they might be able to peek through the gates and see something.

Offline Natsinpwc