Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Cole Freeman, 2B  (Read 692 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Follow the Prospects: Cole Freeman, 2B
« Topic Start: December 21, 2019, 10:24:57 AM »
Full Name: Cole Sean Freeman
Birthplace: Metairie, LA
Bats/Throws: R/R Ht: 5' 9" Wt: 175
Draft: Round 4 (2017, WSH)
School: Louisiana State

MLB.com:
Second baseman -- Cole Freeman, Potomac (123 games): A fourth-round pick out of LSU in 2017, Freeman posted a second full season that was terrific across the board. His 31 stolen bases led the organization. The Carolina League mid-season All-Star's 141 hits and 82 runs scored both slotted second. He slashed .311/.294/.404 with 27 doubles while drawing 53 walks and whiffing only 60 times in 534 plate appearances. The No. 26 Nationals prospect made 54 starts at second but more than 47 in the outfield as well.

"He's a sparkplug," Scialabba said. "He's a catalyst at the top of the lineup. He looks to put the ball in play and use his legs and hit the ball hard consistently to all fields. He's someone that is a grinder and works at-bats."

.311   .394   .404 3HR, 31SBs in 453 ABs at Potomac in 2019

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Follow the Prospects: Cole Freeman, 2B
« Reply #1: February 07, 2020, 01:56:42 PM »
Nationals: Cole Freeman, OF/2B
The 2017 fourth-rounder’s line-drive, hit-to-all fields approach and strong on-base skills help him to get the most out of his plus-plus speed. He’s been successful in more than 80 percent of his steal attempts in two pro seasons and posted the second-most steals (31) last year in the Carolina League. The Nationals moved Freeman from second base to center field along the way, and he impressed by making a smooth transition to the new position, showing the necessary range and closing speed to profile there long term.

https://www.mlb.com/news/each-team-s-fastest-prospect?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2: February 07, 2020, 02:03:55 PM »
Who was the slappy outfielder we traded to either KC or Oakland who stuck around for a few years?

I like the ability to draw a walk, but I fear that he may be one of those guys you aren't afraid to challenge in the strike zone because he cannot crush a meatball. At 25, he's getting old for his level. Roster Resource projects he'll be bumped to AA.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #3: February 07, 2020, 02:21:21 PM »
Who was the slappy outfielder we traded to either KC or Oakland who stuck around for a few years?

I like the ability to draw a walk, but I fear that he may be one of those guys you aren't afraid to challenge in the strike zone because he cannot crush a meatball. At 25, he's getting old for his level. Roster Resource projects he'll be bumped to AA.

HOFer Lombardozzi?

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #4: February 07, 2020, 02:46:25 PM »

The great Billy Burns?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5: February 08, 2020, 12:48:45 PM »
The great Billy Burns?
that's who it was.  HE actually had more walks than Ks at every level from Hagerstown to Potomac to Harrisburg, but ended up with a 1:3+ K:BB in the majors to go with his .083 ISO over almost 900 PAs.  Somehow, he had 5 HRs in 2015.  I forget how many were inside the park jobs where he hit a grounder through a 7 man infield.  Apparently, he was playing at Scranton last year.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #6: February 10, 2020, 07:52:34 AM »
that's who it was.  HE actually had more walks than Ks at every level from Hagerstown to Potomac to Harrisburg, but ended up with a 1:3+ K:BB in the majors to go with his .083 ISO over almost 900 PAs.  Somehow, he had 5 HRs in 2015.  I forget how many were inside the park jobs where he hit a grounder through a 7 man infield.  Apparently, he was playing at Scranton last year.

I was a huge Billy Burns believer, but he was a major lesson in learning to believe scouts rather than numbers. The scouts always said he couldn't do enough damage to keep up his all-contact no-power approach in the majors, and they were right!

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #7: February 10, 2020, 08:32:23 AM »
I was a huge Billy Burns believer, but he was a major lesson in learning to believe scouts rather than numbers. The scouts always said he couldn't do enough damage to keep up his all-contact no-power approach in the majors, and they were right!
Depends what numbers you look at. He had a MILB career OPS of .713. In 2014 right before he was traded it was a combined .618 at Potomac and Harrisburg. Those numbers tell the story. In the old days he might have made it but too many guys nowadays almost as fast with more power.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #8: February 10, 2020, 09:17:50 AM »
In 2014 right before he was traded it was a combined .618 at Potomac and Harrisburg.

He was traded in December 2013, coming off a Potomac/Harrisburg season where he hit about .315/.425/.380.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #9: February 10, 2020, 10:14:22 AM »
He was traded in December 2013, coming off a Potomac/Harrisburg season where he hit about .315/.425/.380.
You’re right. I misread the chart. Looks like when he got to Triple A the stats went down.

Offline imref

« Reply #10: February 10, 2020, 11:09:35 AM »
I saw Burns play a few times at Potomac.  He was helped by the fact that a lot of pitchers at that level have terrible moves to first. and a lot of catchers can't throw well.  It was almost like watching a little league game when he got on base.  The pitchers would constantly throw to first because of his speed, and usually they'd throw the ball away allowing him to take 2nd or 3rd.  If he did steal, the catchers would throw it into the outfield, allowing him to go to 3rd.

Offline Section214

« Reply #11: February 17, 2020, 07:24:20 AM »
Freeman is 25, played big time college ball and now has three years in the minors. Position versatility, ability to get on base and speed to wreak havoc. Seems like a kid that should move up to the top of the system and get a real shot sooner rather than later.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #12: February 17, 2020, 11:48:27 AM »
Freeman is 25, played big time college ball and now has three years in the minors. Position versatility, ability to get on base and speed to wreak havoc. Seems like a kid that should move up to the top of the system and get a real shot sooner rather than later.
Small sample size but he didn't fare too well in the AFL.  So don't get your hopes up too much. 

Offline Section214

« Reply #13: February 19, 2020, 09:31:56 AM »
Small sample size but he didn't fare too well in the AFL.  So don't get your hopes up too much. 

True. I just don't want to see him down in low ball again this year. Put him in AAA where he is facing professional pitchers every night and see if there is something there with him. Seems like a future UTIL guy who we could certainly use.

Offline imref

« Reply #14: August 09, 2022, 05:53:55 PM »
released on 8/9/2022