Author Topic: Now Rendon Is With The Angels  (Read 8657 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Now Rendon Is With The Angels
« Reply #125: December 16, 2019, 07:31:35 AM »
When compared to Strasburg YES!!!
Strasburg opted out of deal, interviewed with other clubs he had ZERO intention of signing with, all to leverage the Nationals into overpaying for him. You want to talk about "how much did he really need?" Strasburg could have just kept his original contract, not opted out, and still had generational wealth.

Rendon was clear about not wanting deferred money. That's totally reasonable, considering we're talking about the only time in his career he will have a say in where he plays. Truth be told, I'm wondering if he would have taken the contract extension offered at the end of last season if there were no deferred money in it.

Seems to me your beef is more with the greedy Lerners than with the players who want to cash in.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #126: December 16, 2019, 09:00:45 AM »
Strasburg opted out of deal, interviewed with other clubs he had ZERO intention of signing with, all to leverage the Nationals into overpaying for him. You want to talk about "how much did he really need?" Strasburg could have just kept his original contract, not opted out, and still had generational wealth.

You must work for Boras and were personally involved in the discussions to assert what you did above.  Otherwise, it's entirely possible that you are wrong, and that Strasburg met with other clubs to explore his options before deciding to return to the Nationals.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #127: December 16, 2019, 09:08:02 AM »
You must work for Boras and were personally involved in the discussions to assert what you did above.  Otherwise, it's entirely possible that you are wrong, and that Strasburg met with other clubs to explore his options before deciding to return to the Nationals.
Which is why he was working out at Nats Park?

I think it's pretty obvious what Boras and Strasburg did.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #128: December 16, 2019, 09:36:25 AM »
I don't get being mad at free agents- why does anyone begrudge someone being able to choose where they want to live and work?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #129: December 16, 2019, 09:37:20 AM »
The key is not to have respect for any of these guys in the first place...

Offline Slateman

« Reply #130: December 16, 2019, 09:40:24 AM »
I don't get being mad at free agents- why does anyone begrudge someone being able to choose where they want to live and work?
Jealousy, I assume.

Online imref

« Reply #131: December 16, 2019, 09:57:49 AM »

because we're selfish and want our team to have the best players. :)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #132: December 16, 2019, 10:07:22 AM »

For real.  This is a guy who is almost 30 who has never before had the choice of where he wants to work and where to live most of the year. 

He had one shot at choosing where he and his family are going to live and where his kids are going to grow up while still able to maximize his income (or come close to it).  I can't begrudge the man his choice, and it strikes me he made a much better one than some other recent free agent moves out of DC. 

Online imref

« Reply #133: December 16, 2019, 10:15:20 AM »
For real.  This is a guy who is almost 30 who has never before had the choice of where he wants to work and where to live most of the year. 

He had one shot at choosing where he and his family are going to live and where his kids are going to grow up while still able to maximize his income (or come close to it).  I can't begrudge the man his choice, and it strikes me he made a much better one than some other recent free agent moves out of DC. 

I don't know.  OC is really really crowded, like worse than Tysons crowded over a larger scale.  I wish him well, but it's not where I'd want to live.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #134: December 16, 2019, 10:25:50 AM »
I don't know.  OC is really really crowded, like worse than Tysons crowded over a larger scale.  I wish him well, but it's not where I'd want to live.

Yeah, but when you can pick any one of the beaches to live right on the ocean and pay someone else to drive you everywhere?  I get you - it wouldn't have been my #1 choice either - but if I weren't a DC native I'd still take it over most major league cities, including DC.  I'd sure as hell choose it over Philly or anywhere in Texas.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #135: December 16, 2019, 10:25:56 AM »

Forget crowded.....earthquakes, mud slides , drought, traffic , taxes etc.

Online imref

« Reply #136: December 16, 2019, 10:34:21 AM »

nice beaches though, and there is Disney Land.  A neighbor of mine moved out there about five years ago, I figured he'd last a year but they haven't looked back and love it. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #137: December 16, 2019, 10:52:28 AM »

The OC on his salary is arguably one of the best places in the country to live

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #138: December 16, 2019, 11:23:42 AM »
Rendon will not be driving to the beach. For these players they get home late most nights. So they sleep late. Wake up and eat. And then drive to the park. And then they are out of town the other half of the time.  Weather is probably the biggest thing for the guys who don’t have families. And then for a guy like Rendon it’s SOCAL so no one will be bothering him for autographs when he does go out. Laid back just like him.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #139: December 16, 2019, 11:28:40 AM »
Rendon will not be driving to the beach. For these players they get home late most nights. So they sleep late. Wake up and eat. And then drive to the park. And then they are out of town the other half of the time.  Weather is probably the biggest thing for the guys who don’t have families. And then for a guy like Rendon it’s SOCAL so no one will be bothering him for autographs when he does go out. Laid back just like him.

He's married with a kid- His wife probably has a pretty big say over where they live

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #140: December 16, 2019, 11:35:34 AM »
They. Paid. Him. The. Most. Money.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #141: December 16, 2019, 11:51:32 AM »
He's married with a kid- His wife probably has a pretty big say over where they live
Ok.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #142: December 16, 2019, 01:00:51 PM »
I'm grateful to Rendon for being a big part of bringing a world series to DC but I am tired of the press always saying Rendon is a different cat than other players. In the end he signed with the team that paid him the most money for the most years just like every other player. He promotes the idea he's different but he's not. I don't blame him a bit and I hope he has a very successful rest of career but the press needs to quit with the he's different stuff.

Online imref

« Reply #143: December 16, 2019, 01:12:49 PM »
I'm grateful to Rendon for being a big part of bringing a world series to DC but I am tired of the press always saying Rendon is a different cat than other players. In the end he signed with the team that paid him the most money for the most years just like every other player. He promotes the idea he's different but he's not. I don't blame him a bit and I hope he has a very successful rest of career but the press needs to quit with the he's different stuff.

agreed.  I harbor no ill will, but man I'm going to miss seeing him here.  He's been the most reliable hitter on the team the last five years or so, and a highlight-reel fielder.  Replacing him is almost impossible. 

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #144: December 16, 2019, 04:34:06 PM »
And the most contaminated air in the U.S.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #145: December 16, 2019, 04:52:56 PM »
You people are bitter. :)

Online imref

« Reply #146: December 16, 2019, 05:05:47 PM »
You people are bitter. :)

nah, just realizing that under no likely scenario are we better off without him than we were with him.  You could say that about everyone else we lost: Harper, Desmond, Zimmermann, Ramos, but not Anthony.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #147: December 16, 2019, 05:08:34 PM »
And the most contaminated air in the U.S.
he's from Houston.  LA is now cleaner (South Coast Air Quality Management District).

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #148: December 16, 2019, 05:11:05 PM »
From the reporting, he more of less told the LAD dodgers that they were not in the running because he did not want to deal with the lifestyle, meaning the profile and attention.  He was surprised how Orange County was much more anonymous.  I honestly think he limited his cities due to whether he felt comfortable in them, and then pursued the $$$.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #149: December 16, 2019, 05:35:21 PM »
From the reporting, he more of less told the LAD dodgers that they were not in the running because he did not want to deal with the lifestyle, meaning the profile and attention.

Does that mean he’s hoping that the angels don’t do well?