Author Topic: Now Rendon Is With The Angels  (Read 8655 times)

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
Re: Now Rendon Is With The Angels
« Reply #50: December 12, 2019, 06:46:11 AM »
Can we put this thread to rest now? I said 7/250 and wouldn't you know it he gets 7/245.

LAC

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #51: December 12, 2019, 06:58:57 AM »
Crap.  Well okay, sign Donaldson or trade for someone else.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #52: December 12, 2019, 07:01:11 AM »
Crap.  Well okay, sign Donaldson or trade for someone else.
Can we like, not with Donaldson. I'd rather sign nobody and roll into next season with Kieboom than sign Donaldson. He has, maybe, one more productive year left. He's basically Adam Dunn.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

« Reply #53: December 12, 2019, 07:07:50 AM »
Can we like, not with Donaldson. I'd rather sign nobody and roll into next season with Kieboom than sign Donaldson. He has, maybe, one more productive year left. He's basically Adam Dunn.
I completely agree. Donaldson is going to fall off hard after he gets paid. But I still rather get Kris Bryant and offer the 7/210 to him

Online Slateman

« Reply #54: December 12, 2019, 07:12:20 AM »
I completely agree. Donaldson is going to fall off hard after he gets paid. But I still rather get Kris Bryant and offer the 7/210 to him
He just saw Rendon get 245. Why would he get less? If anything, he's going to want more because he's going to be the same age, has won an MVP award before, and got freaked over by the Cubs. Why would he take less to sign here?

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #55: December 12, 2019, 07:30:49 AM »
Sad to see him go but wish him well.  He will be missed.

One can't help but notice the tone on the boards regarding his departure for greener pastures unlike Harper. It's nice to see so many here wishing Tony well and thanking him for taking us to the promised land. He will get a standing ovation the next time he's in Nats Park for years to come.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #56: December 12, 2019, 07:32:43 AM »
He just saw Rendon get 245. Why would he get less? If anything, he's going to want more because he's going to be the same age, has won an MVP award before, and got freaked over by the Cubs. Why would he take less to sign here?

He won't and neither will Donaldson. Supply and demand are working in their favor. There are no other decent 3rd basemen to be had. They know it and so does Boras.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #57: December 12, 2019, 07:35:31 AM »
https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/rangers/2019/12/12/what-are-the-next-steps-for-the-rangers-after-losing-out-on-top-free-agent-target-anthony-rendon-2/

The Rangers lost out because they wanted a hometown discount of 6 years and less than $200m.
His hometown is Houston. So they were bound to fail.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #58: December 12, 2019, 07:37:01 AM »
His hometown is Houston. So they were bound to fail.

Artistic license on my part. It's all part of Texas. Deal with it.  :crackup:

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #59: December 12, 2019, 07:37:22 AM »
I don’t get Donaldson. He’s 34 and 4 years seems too long for us to commit to.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #60: December 12, 2019, 07:42:55 AM »

Plus he's got that redneck haircut so pass.  :crackup:

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #61: December 12, 2019, 07:53:50 AM »

Oldest team in baseball will win the WS.  Sign all them old fellers.

Offline loshjott

« Reply #62: December 12, 2019, 08:03:30 AM »
Second fiddle on his second-fiddle team

Just the way he wants it.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

« Reply #63: December 12, 2019, 08:08:02 AM »
Grass is greener syndrome. I think he wants out of Chicago. But I would give Bryant the same deal rendon got. 2 years younger at same deal. Maybe he wont mind deferred money who knows.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #64: December 12, 2019, 10:04:54 AM »
This stinks in particular because I like watching Rendon and it's pretty hard to catch Angels games.

I also can't imagine them making the playoffs the next couple years while Rendon is in his prime, but maybe they'll make some more big moves? Idk.

He's got a ring. Now he gets to live in LA where there isn't going to be much pressure and where he isn't going to be a major celebrity. Perhaps quality of life did matter

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #65: December 12, 2019, 10:13:15 AM »
He's got a ring. Now he gets to live in LA where there isn't going to be much pressure and where he isn't going to be a major celebrity. Perhaps quality of life did matter
If I'm Ohtani, boy would I want to hit between Trout and Rendon.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #66: December 12, 2019, 10:14:49 AM »

He seemed to focus on the house not being packed most of the season, and I’ve wondered if that factored in. Of course, the lion’s share of the fanbase comes from Virginia and they shut done the Blue and Yellow lines south of National Airport, making commutes and the drive into the city for weekday games even more congested. This added to those already reluctant to chance Metro which shuts down so early and often runs horribly on weekends now. Plus, the area has become a quagmire many nights with even more of the development opening up, which is bound to work with the rest to affect walkup traffic. It is what it is, but I don't think he ever got that.

Offline Expos

« Reply #67: December 12, 2019, 10:16:28 AM »

They have been saying that for years with Donaldson. And year after year he continues to rake and play elite defense.

Plus he is one of the most competetive guys in baseball and a great tram-mate.

He would be perfect until one of Kieboom or Garcia is ready.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #68: December 12, 2019, 10:18:24 AM »
I'll miss his contributions on the field + approach at the plate, and I appreciate what he's done for the team, but Rendon's personality never strongly endeared him to me.  He just kind of comes off like he's too good for it all.  Someone will inevitably come in here and accuse me of being "bitter" or something but that's really not it.  I don't blame him for taking the best deal and I sincerely hope he'll be happy in LA.  I just don't find the "baseball is boring" attitude compelling.

/thread, now let's talk about extending Soto :stir:

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

« Reply #69: December 12, 2019, 10:33:22 AM »
He seemed to focus on the house not being packed most of the season, and I’ve wondered if that factored in. Of course, the lion’s share of the fanbase comes from Virginia and they shut done the Blue and Yellow lines south of National Airport, making commutes and the drive into the city for weekday games even more congested. This added to those already reluctant to chance Metro which shuts down so early and often runs horribly on weekends now. Plus, the area has become a quagmire many nights with even more of the development opening up, which is bound to work with the rest to affect walkup traffic. It is what it is, but I don't think he ever got that.

I fail to see how DC traffic will compare to LA traffic.

LA traffic is just as bad if not worse.

I think Rendon is just not an East coast guy. I think you could tell in his demeanor and interviews that the game is not that important to him. He got a ring. He stayed for his contract. There is nothing that says he had to stay. Fans will be upset but players leave teams all the time. Very few HoFers stay on one team their entire career.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

« Reply #70: December 12, 2019, 10:34:12 AM »
I'll miss his contributions on the field + approach at the plate, and I appreciate what he's done for the team, but Rendon's personality never strongly endeared him to me.  He just kind of comes off like he's too good for it all.  Someone will inevitably come in here and accuse me of being "bitter" or something but that's really not it.  I don't blame him for taking the best deal and I sincerely hope he'll be happy in LA.  I just don't find the "baseball is boring" attitude compelling.

/thread, now let's talk about extending Soto :stir:

Chief do us all a favor and put this thread to bed.  ;)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71: December 12, 2019, 10:43:08 AM »

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72: December 12, 2019, 10:49:48 AM »
Let's keep this open for 24 hours so folks can post their last thoughts.

As for attitude, I'd take Rendon's level-head and humor over Soto-lite's glamour-seeking any day of the week.  I think a good chunk of Rendon's success has to do with being oblivious to pressure.  I don't necessarily believe in a clutch skill, but I do believe that guys gag in a and underperform in clutch situations.  Rendon was immune to that.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #73: December 12, 2019, 10:59:40 AM »
Let's keep this open for 24 hours so folks can post their last thoughts.

Why put a timer on it? Until we have something else happening this is it.

Online Slateman

« Reply #74: December 12, 2019, 10:59:45 AM »
They have been saying that for years with Donaldson. And year after year he continues to rake and play elite defense.

Plus he is one of the most competetive guys in baseball and a great tram-mate.

He would be perfect until one of Kieboom or Garcia is ready.
You mean he has continued to decline. Four years ago he was an 8+ WAR player. Now he is half that. He's gone from an 18.7% strikeout rate to 23.5%, His wRC+ dropped almost 13% from his last full season. ISO and WOBA are all down from his last full season and show a four year downward trend.

You sign Donaldson to a deal, you can really only count on 1 year of actual value. After that, he's going to drop off a cliff. Oh and let's not forget, he's the anti-Rendon in the postseason. He's hit .133 in the last two years of playoff play.