Author Topic: "I Don't Know" - Third Base  (Read 20632 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: "I Don't Know" - Third Base
« Reply #425: January 17, 2020, 10:43:33 AM »
I think it's pretty evident with Altuve's actions protecting his jersey that he got a special buzz to let him know Chapman wa throwing a slider.
That’s because in retrospect you know they cheated so it’s what you want to see. Same with someone picking up tape or whatever from the ground. We will see how they do this year.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #426: January 17, 2020, 10:52:29 AM »
That’s because in retrospect you know they cheated so it’s what you want to see. Same with someone picking up tape or whatever from the ground. We will see how they do this year.

By this logic, is any law enforcement officer going over previous actions and patterns or inconsistencies going to note merely what they want to see?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #427: January 17, 2020, 10:53:13 AM »
By this logic, is any law enforcement officer going over previous actions and patterns or inconsistencies is merely what they want to see?
Yes.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
« Reply #428: January 17, 2020, 11:00:05 AM »
By this logic, is any law enforcement officer going over previous actions and patterns or inconsistencies going to note merely what they want to see?
Media does that all the time. You act as if this is nothing new.

the spin is the news.

But altuve's reasoning for not ripping the shirt makes for a more suspicious reason. Becuase his wife got mad? Really. That is such a fake lie.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #429: January 17, 2020, 11:13:39 AM »
That dude rants about everything. No evidence his beloved Yankees were cheated.  And if they did cheat the Yankees it would be funny.

I agree with the ranting part, except he’s a pretty vocal Giants fan.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #430: January 17, 2020, 11:43:25 AM »

No, its because he said he was "shy" and his wife would get mad, yet there are pictures of him from previous years with his shirt off after a walk off win.  He wasn't "shy" then.  Also, he took a beeline right after crossing the plate to the dugout and came out with a different shirt on.  Why does a guy, instead of celebrating with everybody else, immediately go to the dugout to change?  More than suspicious given what else we know.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #431: January 17, 2020, 11:44:46 AM »
Media does that all the time. You act as if this is nothing new.

the spin is the news.

But altuve's reasoning for not ripping the shirt makes for a more suspicious reason. Becuase his wife got mad? Really. That is such a fake lie.

Yea, do Astros wives have to wash and repair damaged jerseys?  Haha what a joke.  He is a liar!

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #432: January 17, 2020, 12:47:50 PM »
I agree with the ranting part, except he’s a pretty vocal Giants fan.
He said he was certain the Yankees were going to beat the Astros so he's still sore.  Had to be the cheating. 

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #433: January 17, 2020, 04:27:06 PM »
No, its because he said he was "shy" and his wife would get mad, yet there are pictures of him from previous years with his shirt off after a walk off win.  He wasn't "shy" then.  Also, he took a beeline right after crossing the plate to the dugout and came out with a different shirt on.  Why does a guy, instead of celebrating with everybody else, immediately go to the dugout to change?  More than suspicious given what else we know.
Agreed -- he was hiding something.  My question is, going forward, will there be a process in place to prevent players from attaching devices to their body?

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #434: January 17, 2020, 05:22:03 PM »
Agreed -- he was hiding something.  My question is, going forward, will there be a process in place to prevent players from attaching devices to their body?
If they are going to do a bunch of crazy stuff to prevent it, the real fix is allowing catchers and pitchers to use some kind of electronic signalling to each other.  Then there are no signs to steal.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #435: January 17, 2020, 08:00:56 PM »
If they are going to do a bunch of crazy stuff to prevent it, the real fix is allowing catchers and pitchers to use some kind of electronic signalling to each other.  Then there are no signs to steal.

And then you get teams hiring hackers to find a flaw in the signal so they can get the call 100% of the time by just eavesdropping. Don't think it matters what system you use, aside from catcher going to the mound to agree on pitch behind closed gloves. Technology will always be creatively applied to cheat.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #436: January 17, 2020, 08:03:44 PM »
Dave said Carter will get opportunity to win 3rd base job. Will be strictly used for 3rd base.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/01/nl-notes-kieboom-harrison-giants.html

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #437: January 17, 2020, 08:17:49 PM »
Dave said Carter will get opportunity to win 3rd base job. Will be strictly used for 3rd base.

makes sense. Garcia is supposed to have a very good glove.  If Trea is re-signed, probably the best internal arrangement is Garcia at Short, Trea sliding to 2B, and Kieboom at 3B. Might as well give Kieboom a real shot at 3B, let Castro play 2B, and hope it works.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #438: January 17, 2020, 08:19:49 PM »

It's pretty easy to define the rules, right? Whatever can be seen with the naked eye by players or coaches on the field or in the dugout is fair. Everything else is foul. Levy enormous penalties - like the entire payroll for a year - if a team is found doing anything with optics or electronics.

Fans are watching now.

Offline Expos

« Reply #439: January 18, 2020, 01:43:52 PM »

Yeah, he will get 1st crack but I don't know man. 4 errors in 10 games at 3B last year isn't the most promising review.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #440: January 18, 2020, 02:30:38 PM »
Yeah, he will get 1st crack but I don't know man. 4 errors in 10 games at 3B last year isn't the most promising review.

In a Post article, Martinez said about Kieboom: “We need to fill a void at third base, and we think he’s appropriate.  He can do the job.”  Martinez wants Kieboom to focus on his defense at third base during spring training, because he thinks his hitting will be fine.  He also opined that once Kieboom learns how to position himself at third base, he'll be okay there.  Martinez also stated that Castro will be his "everyday" second baseman because that's his best defensive position.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/01/17/dave-martinez-rookie-carter-kieboom-nats-third-baseman-he-can-do-job/

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #441: January 18, 2020, 11:18:08 PM »

In a Post article, Martinez said about Kieboom: “We need to fill a void at third base, and we think he’s appropriate.  He can do the job.”  Martinez wants Kieboom to focus on his defense at third base during spring training, because he thinks his hitting will be fine.  He also opined that once Kieboom learns how to position himself at third base, he'll be okay there.  Martinez also stated that Castro will be his "everyday" second baseman because that's his best defensive position.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/01/17/dave-martinez-rookie-carter-kieboom-nats-third-baseman-he-can-do-job/
In terms of getting appropriate playing time for everyone involved, the numbers don't add up if Kieboom is playing everyday at any position.  Howie and Thames need to get 'x' number of at-bats.  Cabrera needs to be utilized, also.  You certainly don't pay Castro that much money to sit on the bench.  And then there's Zim (possibly)...Looks to me like Kieboom stays in the minors unless/until there is some significant injury to one of the others.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #442: January 19, 2020, 07:52:53 AM »
Howie / Thames would be primary 1B and no Zimm

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #443: July 04, 2020, 04:19:15 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/markzuckerman/status/1279452906685640706?s=21
Davey Martinez says "as of right now," he expects Carter Kieboom to be the starting third baseman.