Author Topic: "I Don't Know" - Third Base  (Read 20613 times)

Online Natsinpwc

Re: "I Don't Know" - Third Base
« Reply #75: December 14, 2019, 02:22:56 PM »
And you know this .... how?
Because there are few rookies who put up those kind of numbers.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #76: December 14, 2019, 02:40:23 PM »
Because there are few rookies who put up those kind of numbers.

There were 7 rookies this past season.

Would you like to know how many 34 year olds did? None.

More rookies posted a .900+ OPS this season than there are 34 year olds posting a .900+ OPS in the last five years

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #77: December 14, 2019, 03:05:57 PM »
Angels' news conference introducing Rendon is live on MLB network now.   :'( . He's about to speak.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #78: December 14, 2019, 03:16:09 PM »
Angels' news conference introducing Rendon is live on MLB network now.   :'( . He's about to speak.
Not much to say.  He likes the weather out there and feels the Angels are a family oriented organization.  The Angels' ownership promised him that they're going to build a winning team.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #79: December 15, 2019, 11:17:37 AM »
The political tangent may have started with some good natured ribbing, but keep politics out of this thread, like all threads in the clubhouse.  There's special place in hell our politics forum if you want to discuss politics as it related to the Nats ability to attract / develop / keep players.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #80: December 16, 2019, 09:36:13 AM »
See what Carter can do at 3rd.

Trying to replace Rendon is a foolish thing to do. Even Rendon may have trouble meeting that level over and over.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81: December 16, 2019, 09:48:10 AM »
See what Carter can do at 3rd.

Trying to replace Rendon is a foolish thing to do. Even Rendon may have trouble meeting that level over and over.

I expect a Rendon to have a drop off.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #82: December 16, 2019, 09:52:00 AM »
I expect a Rendon to have a drop off.

If Carter hit .260 with 20... I'd think that would be enough. He wouldn't be batting 3rd in the lineup.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #83: December 19, 2019, 04:46:53 PM »
Maikel Franco

Signs with the Royals, 1 year / $3 million

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #84: December 19, 2019, 04:50:53 PM »
Maikel Franco

Signs with the Royals, 1 year / $3 million
That’s a good thing. Can’t hit. Can’t field. Slow runner.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85: December 19, 2019, 05:11:53 PM »
Rosenthal wrote an article on the Arenado trade market. Interesting part about Rendon though.

Teams much prefer signing free agents to giving up talent in trades, so the Rockies would need to be open-minded on how much cash they would include in a deal, and realistic about how other clubs value Arenado and even Rendon. A rival executive points out that for Rendon to get his money, he needed to join a team coming off four straight losing seasons and move to the state with the highest income tax in the country.

The Rangers reportedly had the next-highest bid for Rendon — a six-year, $192 million contract that was more than $50 million below what he got from the Angels (albeit in a state with no income tax). The Nationals reportedly offered seven years at $210 million to $215 million before Rendon became a free agent. So, considering that $245 million for Rendon is seemingly an outlier, it’s doubtful a team interested in Arenado would take on his entire contract and give up premium young talent.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #86: December 19, 2019, 05:15:56 PM »
I dont see any way any way that Arenado opts out with 164+ million on the table at age 31. Whoever trades for him is getting the whole deal.

Since Rendon was too expensice, I'm betting Arenado's is too expensive. So unless hes will to renegotiate and take deferred money,  Arenado is as much of a pipe dream as Rendon

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #87: December 19, 2019, 09:38:44 PM »

I dont see any way any way that Arenado opts out with 164+ million on the table at age 31. Whoever trades for him is getting the whole deal.

Since Rendon was too expensice, I'm betting Arenado's is too expensive. So unless hes will to renegotiate and take deferred money,  Arenado is as much of a pipe dream as Rendon.
If Arenado's stock had risen since he signed that monster contract, maybe the Rockies could have tried to flip him.  But it's roughly at the same level.  The Rockies would have to eat some of that money if they want anything in return.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #88: December 20, 2019, 10:31:31 AM »
If Arenado's stock had risen since he signed that monster contract, maybe the Rockies could have tried to flip him.  But it's roughly at the same level.  The Rockies would have to eat some of that money if they want anything in return.
Whenever looking at a Colorado guy, you want to look at home/away splits.  He was significantly better at home in 2019.  Indicating that his stats are inflated by playing in Colorado.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #89: December 20, 2019, 10:39:51 AM »
Whenever looking at a Colorado guy, you want to look at home/away splits.  He was significantly better at home in 2019.  Indicating that his stats are inflated by playing in Colorado.

DJ LeMahieu and Matt Holliday disagree.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #90: December 20, 2019, 10:47:16 AM »

I don’t believe this as much as I once did. I don’t think it’s as simple.  I believe that Colorado players have a penalty when they return to sea level. I’m guessing they become used to how differently the ball behaves at altitude that it’s hard to readjust when they leave for short stints. They seem to do better once they are at sea level on a regular basis.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #91: December 20, 2019, 10:50:56 AM »
I don’t believe this as much as I once did. I don’t think it’s as simple.  I believe that Colorado players have a penalty when they return to sea level. I’m guessing they become used to how differently the ball behaves at altitude that it’s hard to readjust when they leave for short stints. They seem to do better once they are at sea level on a regular basis.
Agreed. I also think this extends to pitchers and explains their difficulty. You get used to your breaking ball acting a certain way and then the environment changes that.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #92: December 21, 2019, 12:01:43 AM »
Vinny Castilla:
Atlanta 2002 and 2003 -- 61 and 76 RBIs, respectively
Colorado 2004 -- 131 RBIs (past his prime)

It's much more difficult for a pitcher in Colorado.  Conversely, it's easier for a hitter.  It's takes a bit more out of a player to go back and forth between sea level and mile high, but that effect is dwarfed by the advantages gained by hitting there.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #93: December 23, 2019, 09:37:08 AM »
I hate all the options available.

I say bring back Asdrubal Cabrera and rotate him and Wilmer Difo to start the season. Cabrera swung the bat well last season and if his bat falls off you still have Difo's glove. They can get you to the trade deadline when you can evaluate the trade market and also have a better idea on Carter Kieboom.

Prefer to spend half a season with an awkward pairing at 3B then give a panic contract to Josh Donaldson. There are always going to be options at the deadline.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94: December 23, 2019, 10:03:22 AM »
After all the "he's better than Arenado" stuff we have been saying about Rendon, I wonder if we have the system to trade for him. I suppose the only way is if we pick up more of his contract than other suitors, which isn't happening.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #95: December 23, 2019, 10:12:16 AM »
After all the "he's better than Arenado" stuff we have been saying about Rendon, I wonder if we have the system to trade for him. I suppose the only way is if we pick up more of his contract than other suitors, which isn't happening.
For us to give up anything of real value,  the Rockies would have to wat 75% of it.

Hes not opting out at age 31 with 165 million still on the books. You trade for Arenado, you get the whole deal.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #96: December 23, 2019, 10:49:01 AM »
For us to give up anything of real value,  the Rockies would have to wat 75% of it.

Hes not opting out at age 31 with 165 million still on the books. You trade for Arenado, you get the whole deal.
I would think for the Nats to get into the game they would need to pick up at least $25MM per year, and multiple prospects b/c we don't have quality

Offline Slateman

« Reply #97: December 23, 2019, 10:52:34 AM »
I would think for the Nats to get into the game they would need to pick up at least $25MM per year, and multiple prospects b/c we don't have quality
Lol, hard pass. Someone else can trade for the Rockies salary dump

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98: December 23, 2019, 01:24:20 PM »
Lol, hard pass. Someone else can trade for the Rockies salary dump
Rosenthal I think was saying that the Rangers are willing to pay it all.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #99: December 23, 2019, 01:49:09 PM »
so are we closing in on Jake Noll as our 2020 3B?