Author Topic: MERRY STRASMAS: STRAS IS BACK  (Read 5748 times)

Offline aspenbubba

Re: MERRY STRASMAS: STRAS IS BACK
« Reply #100: December 10, 2019, 09:24:49 AM »
So who gets the ball opening day? Stras or is the team going to keep disrespecting him by continuing the charade that Max is our true ace?
That's an interesting point. I always felt that one of the reasons J.Zimmermann left is that even though he was better than Strasburg ( mind fact) when they were teammates Strasburg always pitched OD.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #101: December 10, 2019, 09:26:10 AM »
So who gets the ball opening day? Stras or is the team going to keep disrespecting him by continuing the charade that Max is our true ace?
gotta think it's Stras.
It's the dude who has won 2 Cy Youngs as a National, had a higher WAR last season, a lower ERA, Lower FIP, and pitched the day after breaking his nose.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #102: December 10, 2019, 09:57:14 AM »

Huh? Charade? The dude came into last year as Cy Young runner up. Hell, he finished higher than Strasburg *this* year in the Cy Young balloting.  Also had better stats *this* year.

There is a ton of recently bias on this forum.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #103: December 10, 2019, 10:11:07 AM »
Huh? Charade? The dude came into last year as Cy Young runner up. Hell, he finished higher than Strasburg *this* year in the Cy Young balloting.  Also had better stats *this* year.

There is a ton of recently bias on this forum.

Strangey people remember a World Series winning playoff run

Offline expos1994

« Reply #104: December 10, 2019, 10:24:02 AM »
Strangey people remember a World Series winning playoff run

Max was great in the post-season. Remember... he had back spasms but then came in and won Game 7.  Oh and took a no hitter into the 7th vs St Louis.

They are Ace #1 and Ace #2. Put your favorite in first. The edge has to go to Max if you're being a subjective as possible.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #105: December 10, 2019, 10:27:29 AM »
Max was great in the post-season. Remember... he had back spasms but then came in and won Game 7.  Oh and took a no hitter into the 7th vs St Louis.

They are Ace #1 and Ace #2. Put your favorite in first. The edge has to go to Max if you're being a subjective as possible.

Max was great, Strasburg was better

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #106: December 10, 2019, 10:36:03 AM »
:roll: Because AJ Hinch is a dumbass.

It must be tough going through life feeling completely out of control about everything all the time :poke:

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #107: December 10, 2019, 10:36:06 AM »
Max was great, Strasburg was better
Max was better in the regular season.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #108: December 10, 2019, 10:38:06 AM »
Max was better in the regular season.

:shrug: I don’t see many people rocking 2019 wild card winner shirts and hats, I see a whole lot of World Series gear around though

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #109: December 10, 2019, 10:51:15 AM »
do we open at home? If we open on the road, one gets opener, one gets home opener, but I think we open at home with the Mets.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #110: December 10, 2019, 11:05:03 AM »
do we open at home? If we open on the road, one gets opener, one gets home opener, but I think we open at home with the Mets.

You have bluestreak on ignore? He's got a 2020 schedule thread started. :popcorn:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #111: December 10, 2019, 11:52:21 AM »
ok.  So on the road for the season opener, then we have a home opener.  I imagine Scherzer gets game 1, Stras gets the home opener.

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #112: December 10, 2019, 01:43:28 PM »
ok.  So on the road for the season opener, then we have a home opener.  I imagine Scherzer gets game 1, Stras gets the home opener.

Yup.

Offline vicki4471

« Reply #113: December 10, 2019, 02:51:31 PM »

Agreed, let Mr. World Series MVP pitch the home opener/ring ceremony.

And this is off topic and yes I am petty, but I really wanted the home opener/ ring ceremony to be against the Phillies.

On that note I hope none of the 2019 Nats become Mets. That would be awkward

Offline expos1994

« Reply #114: December 10, 2019, 03:35:20 PM »
:shrug: I don’t see many people rocking 2019 wild card winner shirts and hats, I see a whole lot of World Series gear around though

I know what you're saying, and it doesn't make much sense because without winning the wild card, there would be no world series.

Strasburg was the hottest pitcher in the final month. Max had some injuries that kept him from being effective and he hadn't quite returned to form when the playoffs started. It was weird because they started Scherzer over Stras against Milwaukee, but it was Stras who came in and held the game close to allow the comeback. That was a mistake by the Nats not playing their best card at the time (Strasburg). but they survived it.

The only guarantee for next year is the 162 game schedule. The playoffs don't happen without good performance during the season. So I don't care how many world series t-shirts you see. You need a durable, dependable pitcher. Not just a guy who got hot during the post season.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #115: December 10, 2019, 03:48:03 PM »
I made the argument at the time that the decision to start Scherzer in the Wild Card was the correct one. Whoever started wasn’t pitching a complete game. Both guys were going to pitch. And if you accept that, then I think how they did it was optimal. Much easier to recover from a Max Error in the first than in the 8th.

I’m a Max guy. I realized I’m biased. But he had a great year last year. With a significant injury. Objectively his stats were very good. Strasburg also had a good season, and had a great postseason.
But I think it’s funny folks are basically writing Scherzer off as done because of muscle injury, but touting the guy 8 years post TJ surgery as the workhorse of the future.

Offline expos1994

« Reply #116: December 10, 2019, 04:01:37 PM »
I made the argument at the time that the decision to start Scherzer in the Wild Card was the correct one. Whoever started wasn’t pitching a complete game. Both guys were going to pitch. And if you accept that, then I think how they did it was optimal. Much easier to recover from a Max Error in the first than in the 8th.

I’m a Max guy. I realized I’m biased. But he had a great year last year. With a significant injury. Objectively his stats were very good. Strasburg also had a good season, and had a great postseason.
But I think it’s funny folks are basically writing Scherzer off as done because of muscle injury, but touting the guy 8 years post TJ surgery as the workhorse of the future.

I agree with everything you said except the part about starting Max in the WC game. I just think you play your best hand in the playoffs and have no regrets. Although I can see your POV, I don't think you want to risk falling behind at all. Who knows, maybe Stras would have thrown a 9 inning gem in that WC game.

But you're right. Max has been the #1 for many years. with Stras firmly in the 1B role. I don't see that changing. Max is still the man. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #117: December 10, 2019, 04:11:26 PM »

Since when is saying Strasburg should start the home opener writing Scherzer off?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #118: December 10, 2019, 04:14:50 PM »
Since when is saying Strasburg should start the home opener writing Scherzer off?

It’s not that. It’s the whole, “it’s clear Strasburg is the ace now” attitude.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #119: December 10, 2019, 04:19:12 PM »
It’s not that. It’s the whole, “it’s clear Strasburg is the ace now” attitude.
You are correct. They are basically both number ones. Who pitches what game doesn’t matter until the playoffs.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #120: December 10, 2019, 04:50:40 PM »
And then it's our real ace, Stras. ;)

You are correct. They are basically both number ones. Who pitches what game doesn’t matter until the playoffs.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

« Reply #123: December 10, 2019, 11:08:20 PM »
Meh overpaid  :mg:

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House