Author Topic: Extend Rizzo  (Read 2485 times)

Offline nats4ever

Re: Extend Rizzo
« Reply #50: September 05, 2020, 08:54:36 PM »

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #51: September 05, 2020, 09:15:06 PM »
Done. 3 years.  Lock thread.

Or we could discuss the extension here.  :shrug:

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #52: September 05, 2020, 09:18:58 PM »
Extending Rizzo was more important than any player they could sign. Glad to see it.

3 years is an odd term length given his success and the typical long term nature or talent cycles. I wonder how much longer Rizzo wants to work and if he’ll be able to groom a successor here.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #53: September 05, 2020, 09:31:32 PM »
3 years is an odd term length given his success and the typical long term nature or talent cycles. I wonder how much longer Rizzo wants to work and if he’ll be able to groom a successor here.
it's sort of like he is sticking around long enough to see them through a reload / rebuild and some big contracts ending

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #54: September 06, 2020, 09:00:03 AM »
Zuck notes that when Rizzo's contract expires, he'll be 62 and will have spent 15 years running the Nats.  That's a remarkable run if it ends at that point.  If he wants to stick around past that I can't imagine that the ownership wouldn't give him another extension.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #55: September 06, 2020, 09:09:55 AM »

Genuinely curious - is there an industry standard/more common length? I read 3 and figured that was just the length GMs got

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #56: September 06, 2020, 10:47:49 AM »
Genuinely curious - is there an industry standard/more common length? I read 3 and figured that was just the length GMs got

It seems a little short to me. Rebuild cycles take years. If a GM only has a couple years is he going to honestly evaluate his team and the potential need to retool or is he going to want to win to keep his job.

Maybe Rizzo is old enough and close enough to retirement that it doesn’t matter, idk

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #57: September 06, 2020, 01:31:36 PM »
It seems a little short to me. Rebuild cycles take years. If a GM only has a couple years is he going to honestly evaluate his team and the potential need to retool or is he going to want to win to keep his job.

Maybe Rizzo is old enough and close enough to retirement that it doesn’t matter, idk
It's not likely that the Lerners think they are in a rebuild.  They see a high salary level for the team and think playoffs. 

Online Natsinpwc