Author Topic: Howie is back  (Read 1532 times)

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

Re: Hot Stove: 2019-2020 Offseason
« Reply #25: December 06, 2019, 12:45:47 PM »
We all love Howie, but that's a ton of money for a part time player who is injury prone.  I guess he can play 2B only on occasion.  Hopefully he can stay healthy.  Cross your fingers.

About 400 PA's at or near the level he's been hitting is well worth it, not to mention his value in the clubhouse that isn't in the stat sheets.  I love Zim, but he's really the guy here who doesn't quite fit.  I think he'll back to split 1B with Howie, but a lot of that is just sentimental.  I'd like to have Howie playing 4 days a week at 1B and maybe a super-utility guy playing the other days at 1B in addition to filling in some other spots.  I don't care for an Adams type. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #26: December 06, 2019, 01:11:55 PM »
Not sure why you think Zimm doesn't fit? His foot injuries are behind him. He can still hit the ball hard. I mean, his arm is crap, but he's still got a great glove.

About 400 PA's at or near the level he's been hitting is well worth it, not to mention his value in the clubhouse that isn't in the stat sheets.  I love Zim, but he's really the guy here who doesn't quite fit.  I think he'll back to split 1B with Howie, but a lot of that is just sentimental.  I'd like to have Howie playing 4 days a week at 1B and maybe a super-utility guy playing the other days at 1B in addition to filling in some other spots.  I don't care for an Adams type.

« Reply #27: December 06, 2019, 01:37:51 PM »
Not sure why you think Zimm doesn't fit? His foot injuries are behind him. He can still hit the ball hard. I mean, his arm is crap, but he's still got a great glove.

Because Howie ideally plays 2/3 of the time at 1B.  Giving Zim 5 or 6 mill to play the rest of the time is a lot.  That's likely what happens, but it's more a reward to him as a Cornerstone. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Howie is back
« Reply #28: December 06, 2019, 01:45:34 PM »
Because Howie ideally plays 2/3 of the time at 1B.  Giving Zim 5 or 6 mill to play the rest of the time is a lot.  That's likely what happens, but it's more a reward to him as a Cornerstone. 

If Rendon comes back, you have Kieboom and 2nd, Zimm and 1st, and Howie as the third option.  Kieboom could also play short or third.  So maybe you sign one more IF option, Dozier perhaps, or go with Difo.

Without Rendon, Kieboom starts at third, Howie at 2nd, Zimm and 1st, and you need two more bench players. 

As much as I love Howie and Zimm, an infield of Kieboom, Turner, Howie, and Zimm isn't all that awe-inspiring.

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #29: December 06, 2019, 01:55:16 PM »
^^^

It's not awe inspiring at all. Wouldn't even make the playoffs.

« Reply #30: December 06, 2019, 01:57:34 PM »
If Rendon comes back, you have Kieboom and 2nd, Zimm and 1st, and Howie as the third option.  Kieboom could also play short or third.  So maybe you sign one more IF option, Dozier perhaps, or go with Difo.

Without Rendon, Kieboom starts at third, Howie at 2nd, Zimm and 1st, and you need two more bench players. 

As much as love Howie and Zimm, an infield of Kieboom, Turner, Howie, and Zimm isn't all that awe-inspiring.

I don't see Zim being a regular at 1B over Howie.  I'd expect them to split, and I'd expect Howie to play the most unless Zim all the sudden starts being a better hitter than Howie.  It really hasn't been close in recent years though.  I also don't see Howie playing much 2B at this point.  It's taxing on his body and he's not very good there anymore.  If Rendon returns, I think Kieboom is the 2B.  If Rendon doesn't return, we likely sign a full-time 3B or 2B and play Kieboom at the other spot. 

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #31: December 06, 2019, 01:58:47 PM »
^^^

It's not awe inspiring at all. Wouldn't even make the playoffs.
Kieboom belongs at 2B, and as a backup SS.   3B is problematic -- after Rendon and Donaldson, the quality of outside options drops off a cliff.  Donaldson is going to get paid big bucks.  I don't necessarily see a decline in him in the next couple of years.  Assuming Rendon is gone, we need Donaldson.

BTW -- Howie is too short to play 1B -- nowhere to hide him. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #32: December 06, 2019, 02:06:34 PM »
Kieboom belongs at 2B, and as a backup SS.   3B is problematic -- after Rendon and Donaldson, the quality of outside options drops off a cliff.  Donaldson is going to get paid big bucks.  I don't necessarily see a decline in him in the next couple of years.  Assuming Rendon is gone, we need Donaldson.

BTW -- Howie is too short to play 1B -- nowhere to hide him.
Like Steve Garvey?

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #33: December 06, 2019, 02:19:18 PM »
Like Steve Garvey?

LOL. Remember when guys like that won MVPs for blooping a couple more singles over outstretched gloves?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #34: December 06, 2019, 04:22:27 PM »
LOL. Remember when guys like that won MVPs for blooping a couple more singles over outstretched gloves?
He won because of his Hollywood good looks.

Offline LightningMcQueen

« Reply #35: December 06, 2019, 05:46:12 PM »
Great to have him back. Nationals infield, as it stands, looks kinda.......

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #36: December 17, 2019, 08:23:54 AM »
howle turned down a better deal from Tampa to return to the Nats:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/12/fa-rumors-ryu-ozuna-cards-twins-rays-kendrick.html

Earlier this offseason, playoff hero Howie Kendrick chose to re-sign with the Nationals on a one-year, $6.25MM guarantee. But it turns out the Rays, once the reported front-runners to sign Kendrick, actually outbid the Nationals. They offered the 36-year-old infielder more money and term than Washington gave him, Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times writes. Kendrick could have been part of the first base/designated hitter mix for the Rays, who just added a potential solution for at least one of those spots in Japanese free agent Yocrapomo Tsutsugo.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #37: December 17, 2019, 08:29:22 AM »

Offline vicki4471

« Reply #38: December 17, 2019, 08:39:39 AM »
howle turned down a better deal from Tampa to return to the Nats:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/12/fa-rumors-ryu-ozuna-cards-twins-rays-kendrick.html

I could be wrong but I sort of see Howie as being in a similar mindset as Zimmerman. He was already thinking about retirement once, gave the Nats a chance and fell in love with the game all over again. I think he is still playing again this year because he got an offer to play for the Nats. I see Howie retiring as a Nat. When his time in DC is over I bet he will hang up his glove. Not sure what happened to him in LA but from his interviews it was not pleasant

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #39: December 17, 2019, 09:03:15 PM »

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #40: December 18, 2019, 09:02:06 PM »

Great frame job by Gomes in that Correa punch out.