Author Topic: Rob Manfred's plan to destroy minor league baseball  (Read 1879 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
That's pretty much the problem from a player development view, though: the players who need the Rookie and low-A levels to develop (and there are guys, especially late-round picks, who really make their names as prospects in those leagues) will suddenly be competing for Atlantic League-type jobs with 30-year-old AAA washouts.  The 19-year-olds will just get squeezed out in that scenario. 
It's the opposite. MLB teams will be quicker to drop Quad A fodder in favor of potential stars.

Offline Count Walewski

Yeah I think if anyone gets screwed in this it will be the guys like Scott Podsednik who, for whatever reason, take a long time to develop.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
I'm not clear, after reading through all this, what problems the MLB thinks it's trying to solve.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I'm not clear, after reading through all this, what problems the MLB thinks it's trying to solve.
The one where they pay the minor leaguers crap and can't get away with it anymore.

Offline HalfSmokes

The expense of paying players with no realistic shot of ever making an impact for the parent club

Offline NJ Ave

The expense of paying players with no realistic shot of ever making an impact for the parent club
The one where they pay the minor leaguers crap and can't get away with it anymore.

I think these are both right? It's all well and good to field a million minor league teams as long as players are cool with being paid peanuts in exchange for a lottery ticket. But when the players want real salaries and benefits, you start asking whether there's any benefit to having them around?

Offline HalfSmokes

https://sports.yahoo.com/more-100-congress-ask-mlb-reconsider-minors-plan-214300623--mlb.html

:whip:

We want you to fully understand the impact this could have not only on the communities we represent, but also on the long-term support that Congress has always afforded our national pastime on a wide variety of legislative initiatives.

:popcorn:

Offline Elvir Ovcina

It's the opposite. MLB teams will be quicker to drop Quad A fodder in favor of potential stars.

Not a chance.  Quad A fodder has the potential to at least help them in the short term.  And that's what they care about, at least the majority of them.They're not going to sit on 15th-round picks who can help them in four years when they can offload all that responsibility onto someone else, at least so they hope. 

I think these are both right? It's all well and good to field a million minor league teams as long as players are cool with being paid peanuts in exchange for a lottery ticket. But when the players want real salaries and benefits, you start asking whether there's any benefit to having them around?

Pretty easy way to square that circle: much higher pay at the higher levels, still peanuts at the bottom. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Slightly off topic, but the Red Sox AAA team, formerly the Paetucket Red Sox or Pawsox, will be called the WooSox when they move to Worcester.

Online imref

Slightly off topic, but the Red Sox AAA team, formerly the Paetucket Red Sox or Pawsox, will be called the WooSox when they move to Worcester.

WooSox Clan?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

I understand they can't change the MLB team's name, but they could have at least called this one the Mjerks.

Online imref

I understand they can't change the MLB team's name, but they could have at least called this one the Mjerks.

Ric Flair has to throw out their first pitch.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Ric Flair has to throw out their first pitch.

That's tWOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Actually, they will be called the WorSox

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Worcester is pronounced "Woo-stah."

Actually, they will be called the WorSox

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
I know - I lived there.  But the team will be known as the WorSox

Worcester is pronounced "Woo-stah."

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Really?

I thought the whole name thing was a joke.

I know - I lived there.  But the team will be known as the WorSox

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Really?

I thought the whole name thing was a joke.

as far as I know, WooSox was what the team announced on NESN

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
The problem with minor league players and the way baseball is played now is you have ultimately a VERY short prime window (roughly 3-5 years) and they are already on the tail end. When the game first started you had guys playing at 18-20 all the way into their 40s. That doesnt happen now. So a lot of these records will never be broken because they simply dont have enough time to do it.

MiLB should be paid more because they are taking the time to develop your all stars you should reward the rest of them with a somewhat livable wage. Holding hostage people's dreams is definitely a scumbag thing to do.

That being said, MiLB used to be fun. I used to go to Bowie Baysox games as a kid. But I still think some of the best logos/names in sports are in MiLB.

Offline Dave in Fairfax

Does anyone think that when the CBA expires, a big sticking point is going to be shortening the period of team control? Until a few years ago, it seems that players tolerated a certain period of team control because of the expectation that they could make money on the back-end. Jose Bautista, when he more or less said there was an expectation to be paid based on past performance, was only saying what many players believed. But more and more, these players are not getting the payday in their 30s. So players are likely to push for shorter team control and/or changes to arbitration to get those paydays in the late 20s/early 30s.

One of owenership's biggest arguments in favor of team control is that they bear the cost of player development. Is it possible that this move to shrink MiLB, as well as get more cooperation with the NCAA, is a way to preemptively cut these development costs prior to the CBA renegotiation?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Does anyone think that when the CBA expires, a big sticking point is going to be shortening the period of team control? Until a few years ago, it seems that players tolerated a certain period of team control because of the expectation that they could make money on the back-end. Jose Bautista, when he more or less said there was an expectation to be paid based on past performance, was only saying what many players believed. But more and more, these players are not getting the payday in their 30s. So players are likely to push for shorter team control and/or changes to arbitration to get those paydays in the late 20s/early 30s.

One of owenership's biggest arguments in favor of team control is that they bear the cost of player development. Is it possible that this move to shrink MiLB, as well as get more cooperation with the NCAA, is a way to preemptively cut these development costs prior to the CBA renegotiation?
MArvin Miller said he allowed for team control because he did not want to glut the market with players every year.  6 years v 5 years will not be dramatic, but if it is 3 years, I think it would not help players due to oversupply

Offline HalfSmokes

MArvin Miller said he allowed for team control because he did not want to glut the market with players every year.  6 years v 5 years will not be dramatic, but if it is 3 years, I think it would not help players due to oversupply

I dont think the the problem is major league control, it’s minor league options- a rookie in their late 20s starts way behind the 8 ball

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
Maybe there needs to a be a salary floor and ceiling. No MLB team should get away with spending less than 100 million on their payroll. Baseball is truly lucky at keeping team control for as long as it does. I think if the Nats had less time with Harper they probably woulda signed him way long ago. It makes cheap ass owners have to actually stop delaying extensions.