Author Topic: Astros stealing signs - But Dusty to the Rescue  (Read 27329 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Yep- and he’s better at it than most of the guys paid to do it

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Yep- and he’s better at it than most of the guys paid to do it
Is he though?

Offline HalfSmokes

Is he though?

8 finals appearances, 3 championships - how many active GMs come close?

Offline HalfSmokes

https://sports.yahoo.com/astros-strike-back-at-critics-were-going-to-go-out-there-and-win-and-shut-everybody-up-153113117.html

The Astros just said to bring it, nages.

team cheats and wins- tries to prove innocence by winning- I wonder if people will consider them vindicated or just assume they found a more clever way to cheat?

Offline UMDNats

“[The teams talking trash are] going to have to play us,” McCullers told The Washington Post. “Except for the guys who are popping off the most.

“Those guys aren’t going to have to face us, which is maybe why they feel like they can speak like that,” McCullers continued. “But we’re moving on. That’s not what people may want to hear, but we stood here as men and we addressed [the scandal]. … We’re just looking forward to playing baseball again.”

:lmao:

Ah yes, this is just normal guys talking trash, isn't it. These guys are such jerks. You can tell the entire organization takes it cues from Crane and the former GM, who, shockingly, was a turd person!

Offline machpost

when these slimeballs show up in July, the crowd should bring buzzers, whistles, anything that produces some noise and ramp it up when these clowns are at bat...what a collection of unethical dirtbags....and those pathetic 'apologies' were worse than any drivel spewed by a politician who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar....the boo birds should be out in droves....maybe we get could get a rolling 'bzzzzt' sound from the crowd when these j-offs are at the plate...
Someone should buy a few hundred cheap plastic whistles and hand them out on Half Street before one of the games. That would be entertaining.

Offline Five Banners

team cheats and wins- tries to prove innocence by winning- I wonder if people will consider them vindicated or just assume they found a more clever way to cheat?

I don't think anyone ever said they couldn't win legitimately. Even if they were to win, what value is it given the taint already on the pieces of metal the commissioner essentially affirms just as readily?

Plus, they evidently  messed with the integrity of the game at Black Sox levels, so I don't think I'm alone in not planning to esteem what they would accomplish, especially in view of the damage done.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Brett Anderson discussing if the A's ever cheated like the Astros.  His response:

The only way for Oakland to communicate would be through the ballpark's decaying infrastructure. "The lights go out and it's a curveball. If there's a sewage backup, it's a fastball

The rest of the quote is pretty good, but NSFW:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EROzo3cUUAMjVCW?format=jpg&name=900x900

Offline Natsinpwc

I heard someone on the radio the other day say they should have the Astros go in front of all the kids at the Little League World Series and explain why what they did was wrong. Kind of like that.

Offline Five Banners

I heard someone on the radio the other day say they should have the Astros go in front of all the kids at the Little League World Series and explain why what they did was wrong. Kind of like that.

"Hi, kids. Reading is fundamental, and to learn why we feel bad, read the commissioner's report. Now who wants to take a picture next to a World Series trophy!"

Offline HalfSmokes

Cheaters never prosper, except they get to keep the rings, playoff shares and contracts earned with inflated numbers

Offline Natsinpwc

"Hi, kids. Reading is fundamental, and to learn why we feel bad, read the commissioner's report. Now who wants to take a picture next to a World Series trophy!"
Be nice to those poor fellows. Getting death threats now. Or so Reddick says.

Offline Five Banners

Be nice to those poor fellows. Getting death threats now. Or so Reddick says.

Not good to have as much credibility as the boy who cried wolf

Offline Dave in Fairfax

I am watching what appears to be a B-squad game, since the only name I recognize is Yordan Alvarez. The Marlins starter hit the first batter. This is the second game so far where I have seen an Astro hit by pitch.

I think Altuve was hit in the fifth inning yesterday, and all the coverage called it unintentional. If it keeps happening, though ...

MLB Network seems to have lost the feed, as now they are running filler material.

EDIT: the HBP was utility infielder Aledmys Díaz, whom I actually have heard of.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

I am watching what appears to be a B-squad game, since the only name I recognize is Yordan Alvarez. The Marlins starter hit the first batter. This is the second game so far where I have seen an Astro hit by pitch.

I think Altuve was hit in the fifth inning yesterday, and all the coverage called it unintentional. If it keeps happening, though ...

MLB Network seems to have lost the feed, as now they are running filler material.

EDIT: the HBP was utility infielder Aledmys Díaz, whom I actually have heard of.

One giveaway might be who is getting hit.  If it's guys like Diaz who weren't on the 2017 team, it looks a lot less suspicious than if it's Altuve, Bregman, Springer, and Correa over and over. 

Offline Dave in Fairfax

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
That was a little high for Spring Training retribution. Aim for the hip.
Seven HBP so far. Latest is Bregman.

https://twitter.com/AsteriskTour/status/1232758260819746818

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
Throwing at Astros has no impact on the game

Offline Dave in Fairfax

Just a coincidence.
I actually do think it is more coincidental than anything else, but if the trend continues, questions may be asked. The Astros are only one ahead of four other teams in getting hit in spring training. As of right now, the HBP stats are:

7 - Houston
6 - Cincinnati, Detroit, Philadelphia, St. Louis
4 - San Diego

The other teams have 3 or fewer at this point.

EDIT TO ADD: Only two of the 7 Astros (Altuve and Bregmann) were on the 2017 team. The others were minor leaguers or on other teams.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Seemed pretty intentional

Offline Elvir Ovcina

That was a little high for Spring Training retribution. Aim for the hip.

If you bean dudes with breaking balls, you get a little more leeway on location.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Throwing at Astros has no impact on the game
they have so much talent, they were going to get hit anyway.  You can't reinvent history to say, if they weren't so talented, the other teams would not have hit them.  That's just speculation.