Author Topic: Astros stealing signs - But Dusty to the Rescue  (Read 27172 times)

Offline MtPleasantNatsFan

Heard some of Dusty’s presser. Classic Dusty.

They asked about analytics and he said he was always open to change. Then said he was just listening to BB King playing with Eric Clapton. And The Rolling Stones with Muddy Waters.  So anything was possible.  Didn’t say anything about firing up with Jimi.

My favorite Dusty quotes are when he starts talking about 1960s TV shows.  He once described himself as “feeling like Fred Macmurray” with “my three sons”- scherzer, stras and Gio, and you coukd just see a reporter's eyes go blank

Offline hohoho

PR move. Nice try.

Offline nats2playoffs

Re: Re: Fire Rizzo
« Reply #527: February 03, 2020, 08:17:26 PM »
Dusty’s very clean...

He was clean too:

Wilfrid Brambell as Paul McCartney's fictional grandfather, It's a Hard Day's Night starring The Beatles

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Dan Steinberg:
Before the World Series, several Dodgers reached out to Nats second baseman Brian Dozier to say Houston was stealing signs. And Tony Sipp told Max Scherzer the Nats needed to be concerned even when there were no runners on base.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/mlb/astros-cheating-open-secret/2020/02/11/1830154c-4c41-11ea-9b5c-eac5b16dafaa_story.html

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Sipp was a former Astro.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
Sipp was a former Astro.

Well at least he finally came thru for the Nats : )

Offline UMDNats

Astros shat their pants today during their press conference. Excellent work all-around.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Astros shat their pants today during their press conference. Excellent work all-around.
Yep. Only one who sounded sincere was Carlos Correa.

Offline imref

Zuck tweets that while the press conference was going on, the Nats were holding their first "circle of trust" meeting with Calma playing in the background.

Offline Natsinpwc

What do you expect. Everyone knows they cheated. And they know everyone knows. They can try and minimize it but it’s all BS.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
This is so Natinals. They win the series, after having a .1% chance, and at Spring Training the following year, they aren't the story.

Offline hohoho

Astros with lying non-apology "apology" insults everyone's intelligence.
Gutless MLB should throw the book at them (player suspensions, WS annulment, etc.) but won't - "protecting" the brand.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Astros/MLB got ripped off by their crisis management consultants.

Offline Natsinpwc

Astros/MLB got ripped off by their crisis management consultants.
I had low expectations.

Offline imref

What could they say though?  We're a bunch of cheaters, we got caught, but hey, WS title!!

Zuck writes:

Will Harris owns a 2017 championship ring. So even though he now pitches for the Nationals, the veteran reliever couldn't avoid addressing the Astros scandal today. Like other now-former Houston players, Harris said he wishes he had spoken up at the time about the cheating and tried to help put an end to it. Though he didn't benefit from the sign stealing the way position players did, he wouldn't hang them out to dry.

"We were a team, so I'm not going to separate myself from everybody who was involved," Harris said. "I was on that team. I take responsibility for it just like every other man that was in there."

Offline HalfSmokes

By take responsibility does he mean say he cares while knowing there will be zero consequences?

Offline Five Banners

By take responsibility does he mean say he cares while knowing there will be zero consequences?

Mistakes were made / oopsie / now I've addressed it, don't bring it up or expect consequences

Rinse, repeat

Offline HalfSmokes

Hopefully some reporters will continue to bring it up until we actually get detail- I would love Altuve to get asked about the buzzer every presser until he answers followed by his view of cheaters in the hall

Offline Five Banners

Hopefully some reporters will continue to bring it up until we actually get detail- I would love Altuve to get asked about the buzzer every presser until he answers followed by his view of cheaters in the hall

The other thing that needs readdressing is the whistle issue. Given the need for the plan to evolve, it would stand to reason that a certain whistling -- which appears to be clearly done -- would have been the next step.

The argument against it was that it didn't prove to be as definitively borne out as the thumping, but it didn't need to be. An evolution of the scheme could've been akin to what the reaction to the sign stealing was -- sets of signals, mechanisms to change them up as needed, etc. As a bonus, they could easily start signaling false signs and whistles to not only cover tracks but make the opposition overprepare and lose focus.

Remember, part of this thing was named Codebreaker, and one of the most common aspects of code systems in competition/warfare is misdirection. And when investigated solely on correlation, the plausible deniability is built in -- that is, for those like MLB who don't particularly want to find out bad things if they don't have to bother. It also works for reporters who don't like legwork.

However, enough suspect whistles appeared to have logged when it counted, and those inclined to pore over these tapes might start looking for clusters of patterns, especially in certain situations. I don't think this is over by a long shot.

Offline imref

Doolittle said it's important that folks apologize for their behavior, not for getting caught.  I don't think we're there yet.

Offline UMDNats

Beltran went from lock HOF'er and rising star manager to blackballed from baseball in like 6 weeks. Amazing. Everyone at the top of MLB and from the Astros has placed literally 100% of the blame at Beltran and Cora, two guys who coincidentally aren't around anymore. Weird!

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Naw, dont bother. The Astros dont care. Let the players deal with it.

Offline HalfSmokes

Beltran went from lock HOF'er and rising star manager to blackballed from baseball in like 6 weeks. Amazing. Everyone at the top of MLB and from the Astros has placed literally 100% of the blame at Beltran and Cora, two guys who coincidentally aren't around anymore. Weird!

Shocking to see an owg sport blame the Latin guys

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
These guys are going to get thrown at so much.