Author Topic: Astros stealing signs - But Dusty to the Rescue  (Read 26669 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Astros stealing signs
« Reply #451: January 17, 2020, 04:36:11 PM »
I talked to one today. He said they are missing at least a ring because of this.

I replied you couldn’t beat us. You couldn’t beat the cheaters, we beat the cheaters.

They're talking about 2017. CC was already on shows whining about how they would have won in 2017

Offline Five Banners

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #453: January 17, 2020, 05:04:13 PM »
They're talking about 2017. CC was already on shows whining about how they would have won in 2017

Nah. He was talking about all 3 years lol

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #454: January 17, 2020, 05:18:59 PM »
Congress wants to investigate this. :lmao:

Gotta love it.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #455: January 17, 2020, 05:27:15 PM »
Considering how few whistleblowers there are at all, doing it was still a good thing. And just because he waited doesn’t mean there wasn’t any risk. There is a non-zero chance this guy doesn’t get signed by any team, and even if he does he’s going to be ostracized.

He’s literally the first guy who has said “I am going on the record with firsthand knowledge of this. I think he deserves a fair bit of credit for that, even if it was late.
It's pretty hard to imagine a player turning on his own team while he is still on that team. 

I keep coming back to this a pitcher vs batter war more than team vs team war.   Pitchers are going to feel obliged to stand up for each other because this has been hurting all of them, and maybe badly in some cases.   Batters are going to have a much different take on it all.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #457: January 17, 2020, 10:04:41 PM »
When we watch everyone  bringing up the Astros Home/Away splits

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #458: January 17, 2020, 10:10:23 PM »
LaRussa:  https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28503160/jack-mcdowell-says-tony-la-russa-had-sign-stealing-system-white-sox-80s
FP told a story once about how one of his managers had him watching center field the whole game to see if there was some kind of light giving signals that he was convinced the team was using.  I don't remember the manager or opposing team in the story.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #459: January 18, 2020, 02:37:15 PM »
For you old timers, I heard someone quip they ought to make a new film called "Bang the Trash Can Slowly".

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #460: January 19, 2020, 05:36:55 AM »

Gotta love it.

WTF?  Typical.  Total waste of time/resources.

The steroid scandal warranted interference because it involved controlled substances, interstate commerce, underground PED rings, questionable medical practices, etc.

This?  Might as well launch an investigation into why the nWo were able to recruit referee Nick Patrick and get him to rob The Giant of the WCW title against Hollywood Hogan.

No relation to Danny McBride

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #462: January 19, 2020, 10:46:17 AM »
WTF?  Typical.  Total waste of time/resources.

The steroid scandal warranted interference because it involved controlled substances, interstate commerce, underground PED rings, questionable medical practices, etc.

This?  Might as well launch an investigation into why the nWo were able to recruit referee Nick Patrick and get him to rob The Giant of the WCW title against Hollywood Hogan.

(Image removed from quote.)

No relation to Danny McBride

If it results in Congress removing the antitrust exemption, I’m all for it.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #463: January 19, 2020, 03:50:05 PM »

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/astros/article/Astros-try-to-move-on-from-scandal-but-players-14986694.php

"Crane said he had spoken to four or five players and expected that players will “want to get united on the same page” before the public can expect any elaboration on the degree to which players knowingly cheated in 2017 and 2018 by using opponents’ signals relayed from a centerfield camera to the team’s dugout."

Just look at what this guy is actually saying. Isn't that literally working together to make sure they have their story straight rather than actually being forthright, e.g. actually saying they used the whistles, thumps and other cues "in 2017 and 2018" and/or beyond and offering specifics?

Just look at last week to see how the untrustworthiness of the players due to their previous actions raises a cloud of suspicion over everything that they did and will do. One sure way to get people to disconnect from the game and continue to question its legitimacy is to let guys like this just say "I don't want to talk about; it let's move on" while not only keeping past records, titles and accomplishments but competing against others for more.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #464: January 19, 2020, 08:59:37 PM »
Right, because why do one single goddamn thing that a law making body would normally do?

Throw them all out.

Gotta love it.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #465: January 19, 2020, 10:12:55 PM »
Why would removal of the antitrust exemption be a positive event ?

If it results in Congress removing the antitrust exemption, I’m all for it.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #466: January 20, 2020, 12:19:37 AM »
Why would removal of the antitrust exemption be a positive event ?

Generally, alternatives lead to competition. Competition leads to either a better product, a cheaper product, or both. When there cannot be a major league team outside the MLB's control and no alternate leagues of that level (sending talent to Japan, etc) it means we're missing out on alternative options that might provide an entertaining venue.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?

Offline rileyn

« Reply #468: January 20, 2020, 07:02:01 AM »
Spring training in WPB would be so interesting with Dusty with the Astros.

Offline MtPleasantNatsFan

« Reply #469: January 20, 2020, 07:31:39 AM »
There’s a complexity that not many people are talking about...

Many baseball players are not that smart.  I can have deep conversations with Doolittle, Hale, Henley and some others- they’re smart guys.  When you talk to them they get it.  You see this in Doolittle’s comments about Trea’s twitter screw up where he’s like- guys you don’t recognize how the public sees us or who the public is. 

But I spoke to... a few of players in 2014 and I walked away like- oh man these guys are stupid- I mean really brain dead- two players aren’t with the Nats anymore.  I was always concerned about Werth saying the wrong thing, but in the end I never had a conversation with him and just don’t know the guy.  One guy I spoke to was really nice to my kids but his eyes were blank- nothing behind them at all— Then later I find out he was a member of a cult church. 

And these are the kinds of players who get caught up in these scandals because they can’t see two feet ahead of them. For people who have normal managerial or executive jobs where you need a finance background, you can look at the home/away splits and it’s obvious because we do that math daily, but they’re like- “am I tipping my pitches?” 

I’ve noticed that people make fun of the Twitter Detectives sometimes, and so do I, but this looks more and more like some really stupid jocks in TX who have no idea that Sabremetrics is going to cost them their careers...  and more and more I say to myself- how dumb are these guys?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #470: January 20, 2020, 08:08:55 AM »
Generally, alternatives lead to competition. Competition leads to either a better product, a cheaper product, or both. When there cannot be a major league team outside the MLB's control and no alternate leagues of that level (sending talent to Japan, etc) it means we're missing out on alternative options that might provide an entertaining venue.
So do other major sports have cheaper or better products?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #471: January 20, 2020, 08:32:10 AM »
There’s a complexity that not many people are talking about...

Many baseball players are not that smart.  I can have deep conversations with Doolittle, Hale, Henley and some others- they’re smart guys.  When you talk to them they get it.  You see this in Doolittle’s comments about Trea’s twitter screw up where he’s like- guys you don’t recognize how the public sees us or who the public is. 

But I spoke to... a few of players in 2014 and I walked away like- oh man these guys are stupid- I mean really brain dead- two players aren’t with the Nats anymore.  I was always concerned about Werth saying the wrong thing, but in the end I never had a conversation with him and just don’t know the guy.  One guy I spoke to was really nice to my kids but his eyes were blank- nothing behind them at all— Then later I find out he was a member of a cult church. 

And these are the kinds of players who get caught up in these scandals because they can’t see two feet ahead of them. For people who have normal managerial or executive jobs where you need a finance background, you can look at the home/away splits and it’s obvious because we do that math daily, but they’re like- “am I tipping my pitches?” 

I’ve noticed that people make fun of the Twitter Detectives sometimes, and so do I, but this looks more and more like some really stupid jocks in TX who have no idea that Sabremetrics is going to cost them their careers...  and more and more I say to myself- how dumb are these guys?

Being stupid is no excuse for breaking the rules

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #472: January 20, 2020, 08:34:09 AM »
Spring training in WPB would be so interesting with Dusty with the Astros.
Where will people put their trash without cans this year?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #473: January 20, 2020, 10:58:17 AM »

Baseball players and pro athletes generally aren't the smartest guys but to make it at this level you know one thing - baseball. Being unable to read a book doesn't mean you can be excused for breaking the rules and cheating. They knew this was against the rules, any player who says otherwise is a bold-faced liar.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #474: January 20, 2020, 11:46:20 AM »
So do other major sports have cheaper or better products?
XFL!