Author Topic: Astros stealing signs - But Dusty to the Rescue  (Read 27178 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Astros stealing signs
« Reply #51: November 14, 2019, 09:28:44 AM »
LoL. Let's see how we feel when it comes out that the Nats do something very similar.
I’ve had the thought, but I doubt they were using inside the park cameras or anything like that.
If we were implicated this year...would you care?

No idea where this comes from but it's moronic.  Anyone that's followed this team long enough should know better than to think RZ would ever tolerate out-and-out cheating.

Call me naive for banking on that if you want, that's fine, but others have made a pretty good point about the Nats bats sucking throughout the homestand :lol:

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #52: November 14, 2019, 09:30:10 AM »
No idea where this comes from but it's moronic.  Anyone that's followed this team long enough should know better than to think RZ would ever tolerate out-and-out cheating.
Not sure if serious . . .

Offline The Chief

« Reply #53: November 14, 2019, 09:31:45 AM »
Not sure if serious . . .

Yes I'm serious Mr perennial rain cloud.

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #54: November 14, 2019, 09:33:23 AM »

Call me naive for banking on that if you want, that's fine, but others have made a pretty good point about the Nats bats sucking throughout the homestand :lol:

You drinking already this morning, chief?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #55: November 14, 2019, 09:35:30 AM »
Dipped into the mint schnapps early

Offline The Chief

« Reply #56: November 14, 2019, 09:35:52 AM »
Nah, I'm dead serious.  Forget about character judgment, I just don't see any reason at all to suspect the Nats have ever done anything like that.  For people to bring it up in a discussion about Astros cheating (with a fair amount of supporting evidence) could be construed as concern trolling if I didn't know better.

Just seems stupid and rankles me.  Like we don't hit our contrarian/trolling quota from Slate already :roll:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #57: November 14, 2019, 09:40:33 AM »
Not sure I feel the same way. No one can ever take from me Game 7 night, staying up until 3am watching interviews and celebrations.

i would be really disappointed if it turned out we were doing the same thing.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #58: November 14, 2019, 09:41:08 AM »
i would be really disappointed if it turned out we were doing the same thing.

Fortunately you won't, because it won't, because they didn't.  EZ. 8)

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #59: November 14, 2019, 09:44:28 AM »
Remember when the Astros called the Yankees crazy for saying they did this? Good times. freak off, AJ Hunch.

Alex Bregman couldn't be reached for comment because he's still laying in bed with the lights off recovering from getting absolutely humiliated on national television by the strong Latin gestures of Juan soto

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #60: November 14, 2019, 09:47:17 AM »
The Astros have a better road record than home record this season. I'm not sure that stealing signs works all that great.
Nice article yesterday, I think FG, which points out the dramatic drop in Astro hitters' swinging strikes from 2016 to 2017, which I think continued to 2017.  knowing change up v. fastball, which essentially is what they were signaling, probably makes changeups much less effective. 

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
« Reply #61: November 14, 2019, 09:48:40 AM »
Beating them makes this World Series all the more better.

19-31
0.1% chance to win WS
Go on absolute tear and have best record in baseball since June
Walk into playoffs firing on all cylinders
Come back in 8th inning against elite set up man
Beat previous rivals in Dodgers, furthering the meme about Clayton Kershaw being a choke artist.
Sweep the Cards despite prior heartbreak in 2012
Late inning magic in so many games
Come up against stacked roster and pitching
Beat exposed cheaters in their own house every single game.

You cant make up a more drama fueled victory for an underdog. Astros are such a scumbag organization. They wont vacate their title but it should carry an Asterisk.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62: November 14, 2019, 09:49:03 AM »

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #63: November 14, 2019, 10:00:46 AM »
Nice article yesterday, I think FG, which points out the dramatic drop in Astro hitters' swinging strikes from 2016 to 2017, which I think continued to 2017.  knowing change up v. fastball, which essentially is what they were signaling, probably makes changeups much less effective. 

In 2016, the Astros ranked 28th out of 30 MLB teams in contact rate. From 2017-2019 they ranked 1st, 2nd, and 1st again.

They cut their strikeouts by 22% and increased their ISO by 15% at the same time.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #64: November 14, 2019, 10:02:49 AM »
Remember when the Astros called the Yankees crazy for saying they did this? Good times. freak off, AJ Hunch.

Alex Bregman couldn't be reached for comment because he's still laying in bed with the lights off recovering from getting absolutely humiliated on national television by the strong Latin gestures of Juan soto

He keeps winking involuntarily.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #65: November 14, 2019, 10:05:09 AM »
Dipped into the mint schnapps early

FYI when I want to get drunk it's long islands all the way  :glug: :lol:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66: November 14, 2019, 10:06:22 AM »
damn... You know you outgrow that stuff at some point.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #67: November 14, 2019, 10:06:26 AM »
He keeps winking involuntarily.

My favorite quote from the after-partying:

My favorite moments were Juan Soto getting in a rundown on his wild card hit and not caring because he was so pumped, and...well...Juan Soto again, nodding his head a billion times after Justin Verlander told him to stop doing the shuffle. And then calmly sending Verlander's next pitch into outer space.

:lmao:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #68: November 14, 2019, 10:07:49 AM »
damn... You know you outgrow that stuff at some point.

Yeah it doesn't happen very often anymore :P

Offline Slateman

« Reply #69: November 14, 2019, 11:17:11 AM »
Yea, drinks with straws make sense with those arms

Offline The Chief

« Reply #70: November 14, 2019, 01:10:20 PM »
Yea, drinks with straws make sense with those arms

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #72: November 14, 2019, 02:52:47 PM »

Not sure why I’m a quoted moron :lol: I said I doubt they would do it. It doesn’t seem like a Rizzo move.

I did sit back and ponder it, I try to always think about “If the Nats did this, how would I feel?” as I’m judging other clubs.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
« Reply #73: November 14, 2019, 03:04:24 PM »
Not sure why I’m a quoted moron :lol: I said I doubt they would do it. It doesn’t seem like a Rizzo move.

I did sit back and ponder it, I try to always think about “If the Nats did this, how would I feel?” as I’m judging other clubs.
Well if you were a patriots fan you are just waiting so you can feel vindicated in the sense you arent the only cheater club that got caught

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #74: November 14, 2019, 03:12:29 PM »

Right? The boss can be the boss but the overreaction about a hypothetical is funny.

I'm a WVU Mountaineer and if we won it all in MBB or football, just like we did as Nats fans, I would not care two craps if we were proven to be the Reggie Bush USC Trojans 8 years after said championship.