Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Sterling Sharp, RHP  (Read 1359 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Follow the Prospects: Sterling Sharp, RHP
« Reply #25: August 28, 2020, 09:27:58 AM »
I'm perplexed by the Marlins move.  I'm guessing they think they are close to a playoff team, marginal enough that they can't waste a spot on the 28 to carry him for 5 more weeks.  Maybe it's because they are stretched thin with double headers.  Even so, I know the Nats blasted him, but you'd figure they would  have mop  up duty where he could save others arms.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #26: August 28, 2020, 09:29:36 AM »
I'm perplexed by the Marlins move.  I'm guessing they think they are close to a playoff team, marginal enough that they can't waste a spot on the 28 to carry him for 5 more weeks.  Maybe it's because they are stretched thin with double headers.  Even so, I know the Nats blasted him, but you'd figure they would  have mop  up duty where he could save others arms.
Maybe they have a farm system where they have actual prospects and figure he’s just no good?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27: August 28, 2020, 09:40:00 AM »
Maybe they have a farm system where they have actual prospects and figure he’s just no good?
Well, that'd be a big change of heart from last winter and the spring.  They didn't add that much to their organization, so if you are right, then somebody made a bad call about where he'd stand among the organizational prospects when they drafted him and kept him.  Sure, they likely soured on him and definitely feel they have a better use of the 28 man roster slot. I'm just a bit surprised they think that way, and think it may be a bigger indication of their intentions at the trade deadline and going forward.  Or, (more likely?) Officer Barbrady may know better than me and there''s nothing to see here.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #28: August 28, 2020, 09:45:15 AM »
Well, that'd be a big change of heart from last winter and the spring.  They didn't add that much to their organization, so if you are right, then somebody made a bad call about where he'd stand among the organizational prospects when they drafted him and kept him.  Sure, they likely soured on him and definitely feel they have a better use of the 28 man roster slot. I'm just a bit surprised they think that way, and think it may be a bigger indication of their intentions at the trade deadline and going forward.  Or, (more likely?) Officer Barbrady may know better than me and there''s nothing to see here.

I think it's pretty simple: they assumed they'd suck and having him eat a roster spot while pitching a few mediocre innings wouldn't be a problem.  Now they've been winning games with guys they thought were behind him on the prospect train, he hasn't been doing very well, and they need the roster spots for returning coronavirus dudes - they have like 6 or 7 relievers still to return.  So yes, they may think they actually might be making the playoffs, or making an honest attempt to do so.  Or Officer Barbrady and his shades are reflecting both of us.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #29: August 28, 2020, 02:10:02 PM »
I think it's pretty simple: they assumed they'd suck and having him eat a roster spot while pitching a few mediocre innings wouldn't be a problem.  Now they've been winning games with guys they thought were behind him on the prospect train, he hasn't been doing very well, and they need the roster spots for returning coronavirus dudes - they have like 6 or 7 relievers still to return.  So yes, they may think they actually might be making the playoffs, or making an honest attempt to do so.  Or Officer Barbrady and his shades are reflecting both of us.
If they make the playoffs will Jeter suit up?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30: August 28, 2020, 04:50:22 PM »
If they make the playoffs will Jeter suit up?
I'm guessing he'd be able to DH if he had a week to get his eye back.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #31: June 19, 2021, 06:55:13 PM »
Sharp is pitching for Rochester, so he has made it to AAA. I saw him pitch a few innings (MiLB.TV) and it was hard to follow. Might have been a screwy camera placement, but every pitch seemed down-hill to a batter's ankles. Stats are good for a very bad team -- 1 win and 1 losses, 3.05 ERA fitting a 1.21 WHIP. Not the next Strasburg or Zim-nn, but maybe another Voth.

He does look skinny, though. (what does it say at the top, 6-3 and 175 pounds?)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #32: August 17, 2022, 09:47:53 AM »
Released, now with the Portland Sea Dogs