Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Sterling Sharp, RHP  (Read 1358 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Follow the Prospects: Sterling Sharp, RHP
« Topic Start: November 12, 2019, 02:58:15 PM »
Former WR and current analyst for the NFL network

Full Name: Sterling Sharp
Birthplace: Southfield, MI
Bats/Throws: R/R Ht: 6' 3" Wt: 170
Draft: Round 22 (2016, WSH)
School: Drury, MO

Currently the #13 Nationals Prospect (as of November 2019)

2019:  Pitched at GCL, Auburn, and Harrisburg
 http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=643532#/career/R/pitching/2019/ALL

2019 AFL: 24 IP, 11BB, 24Ks, 1.50 ERA 0.917 WHIP

2018 Scouting report:
https://www.masnsports.com/byron-kerr/2018/12/nats-top-prospects-no-8---rhp-sterling-sharp.html

“He’s one of the guys that maybe has taken one of the biggest jumps,” Collazo noted. “Obviously, he wasn’t in our top 10. I’m not even sure we ranked him in the top 30 prior to this year. Drafted in 2016. With Sharp what stands out with him is just exceptional athleticism.”
MLB.com did not have Sharp in its top 30 in 2017, but ranked him at No. 11 in 2018.

“He might not have a plus tool in a sense of his pitches or his control at this point, but his athleticism is elite,” Collazo added. “He was recruited to play basketball at the college level and could’ve played there, so I think he’s probably the most athletic guy in this entire system. Maybe Victor Robles has an argument there as well, but we went with Sharp.”

Collazo says Sharp’s fastball is 90-92 mph, but has a real good boring action down to the lower half of the strike zone, which makes it difficult for hitters to loft. Sharp features the fastball, slider and changeup.

“He’s a fastball, slider guy, kind of a sinking fastball,” Collazo said. “With his body control and the groundball rate that he has, and a really exciting arm, in my mind, and I heard nothing but good things about Sharp when I talked to scouts and Washington officials this year.”

mlb.com:

Scouting grades: Fastball: 55 | Slider: 45 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 50 | Overall: 45

A 30th-round pick by the Braves out of high school in 2013, Sharp opted not to sign and instead honored his commitment to Eastern Michigan, where he pitched for one season before transferring to Division II Drury University and sitting out for all of '15. Taken by Washington in the 22nd round the following year, Sharp is looking like a Draft steal after making steady progress in each pro season en route to his first taste of Double-A in 2018.

A two-sport standout who could have played college basketball, Sharp's tremendous athleticism translates and gives him big upside on the mound. The 6-foot-4 right-hander has an exceptional sinker -- it has an average spin rate of about 1900 rpm -- that sits in the low 90s and nets him ground balls at an elite clip. His 59.7 percent ground-ball rate in 2018 was tops among qualified starters in the Nationals' farm system and ranked inside the top 10 in the entire Minors. Sharp pairs his heater with a quality changeup, giving him two above-average offerings, and the Nationals have been pleased with his development of a slider.

Sharp possesses average control and command because his athleticism allows him to repeat his delivery and arm action so well. That feel for pounding the zone allows for Sharp's three-pitch mix to play up, and he's never had issues keeping the ball in the park. Sharp is still a work-in-progress, and therefore his ceiling is still coming into view, but his impressive development and remaining projection portends to at least a back-end starter role at the highest level.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Follow the Prospects: Sterling Sharp, RHP
« Reply #1: November 13, 2019, 03:18:10 PM »
Someone tell Max to show him the ways of the slider. He develops that pitch better, and he's a number 3 in a good rotation.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #2: November 16, 2019, 03:48:09 AM »
Now we just need a catcher named "Brett Farv."

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #4: December 10, 2019, 07:58:13 PM »
So we left him unprotected? He’s showing up on a lot of boards as a top Rule 5 pick.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #5: December 10, 2019, 09:28:12 PM »
So we left him unprotected? He’s showing up on a lot of boards as a top Rule 5 pick.
talent-wise, he's a goner, but you have to hope that he is too far from the majors for anyone to stash him for a year on a roster

Offline Slateman

« Reply #6: December 11, 2019, 06:43:53 AM »
talent-wise, he's a goner, but you have to hope that he is too far from the majors for anyone to stash him for a year on a roster
Eh, I think if you're a team like the Marlins or Royals, this is exactly the player you're looking to snag in the Rule 5 draft :(

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7: December 11, 2019, 09:27:21 AM »
Eh, I think if you're a team like the Marlins or Royals, this is exactly the player you're looking to snag in the Rule 5 draft :(
I'm not sure, but I think there's a limit on the size of staffs when they went to 26 man rosters.  If not, then he's exactly the type you snag.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #8: December 11, 2019, 09:30:31 AM »
I'm not sure, but I think there's a limit on the size of staffs when they went to 26 man rosters.  If not, then he's exactly the type you snag.
I thought they only had to add him to the 40 man if they claimed him in Rule 5

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9: December 11, 2019, 09:32:39 AM »
I thought they only had to add him to the 40 man if they claimed him in Rule 5
26 man.  has to be in the majors for a year.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #10: December 11, 2019, 01:39:41 PM »

Seems like an inefficiency in tanking to me- if you don’t care about winning, why do you care about a wasted roster space being occupied by an actual asset?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11: December 11, 2019, 01:55:30 PM »
Seems like an inefficiency in tanking to me- if you don’t care about winning, why do you care about a wasted roster space being occupied by an actual asset?
you tank to acquire an asset.  So, I suppose, if you are tanking, you can use a roster spot on the kid and not care that you can't have an actual player. The team might not do it if they thought essentially taking a year off or getting shelled would hurt his development. Otherwise, you are onto something.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12: December 12, 2019, 12:49:49 PM »
Marlins select him with the 3d pick of the Rule 5 draft.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #13: December 12, 2019, 01:18:52 PM »
Marlins select him with the 3d pick of the Rule 5 draft.
Nooooo

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14: December 12, 2019, 01:25:41 PM »
Why in the freak did they leave him unprotected.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #15: December 12, 2019, 01:27:18 PM »
26 man.  has to be in the majors for a year.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
« Reply #16: December 12, 2019, 01:33:49 PM »
Good question. I rather they had used him as BP arm then resigned some of the trash we have now (strickland,guerra,elias)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17: December 12, 2019, 02:46:51 PM »

The Nats didn't have to keep him on the 26 man. Just nay team that selected him. Nats just had to have him on the 40 man. I think they could have left him there until after the Draft and then moved him off. 

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #18: December 12, 2019, 02:54:11 PM »
I’m really annoyed by this

Offline imref

« Reply #19: December 12, 2019, 03:19:26 PM »
really not understanding the decision to leave him unprotected, will lock this in a few days.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #20: December 12, 2019, 03:21:23 PM »
really not understanding the decision to leave him unprotected, will lock this in a few days.
Because we dont have space for him on the 26 man roster all season.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21: December 12, 2019, 03:56:52 PM »

He doesn’t have to stay on the 26 man all year if the Nats had kept him. You only have to do it if you select a player from another team.

Offline imref

« Reply #22: December 12, 2019, 04:02:18 PM »

he would only have to go on the 40 man.  We've got plenty of space there.

Fangraphs profile notes he throws low-90s and is almost 25, ZIPS has him projected at around a 4.60 ERA next year, so better than Rosenthal, but losing him isn't going to cost us a repeat trip to the WS.

Offline imref

« Reply #23: December 21, 2019, 10:21:15 AM »
locking as he's with the Marlins for now.

Offline imref

« Reply #24: August 28, 2020, 08:45:05 AM »
Sharp clears waivers and is returned to the Nationals, officially he's assigned to Fresno but will probably end up in Fredericksburg.