Author Topic: Nationals Prospect Reports / Minor League System Rankings 2020  (Read 2425 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Eric Cross of Fantrax (@EricCross04)

My post-draft Top-15 #Nationals prospects.

1. Kieboom INF
2. Garcia MI
3. Rutledge RHP
4. Cavalli RHP*
5. Denaburg RHP
6. De La Rosa OF
7. Lara RHP
8. Mendoza 1B/3B
9. Romero LHP
10. Quintana OF
11. Yean RHP
12 Crowe RHP
13 Cate RHP
14 Henry RHP*
15 Antuna SS/3B

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
https://www.mlb.com/prospects/international/

Nats said to be the favorite to sign #4 prospect Armando Cruz

Offline Glockypoo

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/international/

Nats said to be the favorite to sign #4 prospect Armando Cruz
Has there been an official announcement on when the international signing period will begin?

Cruz's scouting report:

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/international/armando-cruz-694182

Cruz might be the best defender at any position in this year’s class, and he’s definitely a player to watch now and for years to come.

Cruz’s medium build has drawn comparisons to a young Jose Iglesias, which says a lot about the player he could become. He’s known as a plus defender with an extraordinary combination of footwork and hands. He has also shown plus range with average arm now that projects to be well above average as he continues to mature and develop. He already displays above average carry on his throws.

The shortstop’s hands also play in the batter’s box. The right-handed hitter has shown good bat speed and a slight upstroke with his swing. He consistently barrels up the ball and is proficient at hitting line drives across the entire outfield. Power isn’t part of his game, but he still projects to add strength to his overall game as he matures. He’s an average runner now with basestealing potential, and speed is expected to be a plus tool in the future. Scouts also love his baseball IQ and plus makeup.

Cruz is trained by John Carmona, a member of MLB’s Trainer Partnership Program, in Santo Domingo. He is expected to sign with the Nationals.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Good deeds beget good opportunities.  At this point, the DR operation is almost like the Yankees before the draft era when it comes to attracting prospects. 

Offline blue911

Good deeds beget good opportunities.  At this point, the DR operation is almost like the Yankees before the draft era when it comes to attracting prospects.

They stole Dipuglia from the Red Sox

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
They stole Dipuglia from the Red Sox
the Sox did OK in the DR and Carribean after that.  But, a lot of that was spending money. Devers & Moncada in particular, plus didn't they do the sign a bunch of guys who kick money to the guy you really want routine?

Did he come direct from the Sox or was there a stop in between?

Offline imref

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/nationals  Updated top 30. Cavelli checks in at #5

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Dead last for our system per Mayo / MLB.com's mid-season rankings.

30. Washington Nationals
2020 preseason rank: 29
2019 midseason rank: unranked
2019 preseason rank: unranked
Top 100 Prospects: Carter Kieboom, SS/2B (No. 23)

The Nationals have tapped into their farm more than ever this year, assigning Kieboom to their Opening Day roster and then promoting prospects such as Luis García, Wil Crowe and Seth Romero within the season’s first month. The organization won’t have a Top 100 prospect after Kieboom graduates, though right-handers Jackson Rutledge and Cade Cavalli, Washington’s respective first-round picks in 2019 and ‘20, both are future Top 100 candidates.
https://www.mlb.com/news/2020-midseason-farm-systems-rankings

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
I'm bullish on Rutledge.  Plus were getting a top 3 international free agent in Armando Cruz.  Should help

Offline UMDNats

Top 10 pick will help this year. Assuming we do our usual "first round pick is a high-risk guy, rest of draft picks suck" strategy, we should get one top-100 guy for a couple years.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Top 10 pick will help this year. Assuming we do our usual "first round pick is a high-risk guy, rest of draft picks suck" strategy, we should get one top-100 guy for a couple years.

The elephant in the room with prospects this year is that the 2020 draft was only 5 rounds.  The ability of front offices to pull in anything useful from the free-agent crop beyond that will show up in 3-4 years.  Those rounds are often fertile ground for relievers and toolsy, lottery-ticket types, and given the Nats' struggles in producing anything from those rounds in the past I'm not optimistic.

But you'll also see better college guys coming out in a couple years as the HS guys who might have signed over-slot in those rounds now will be playing college ball. 

Offline imref

Dead last for our system per Mayo / MLB.com's mid-season rankings.
https://www.mlb.com/news/2020-midseason-farm-systems-rankings

Graduating so many top prospects into the bigs this year seems to be a positive, no?

Offline Natsinpwc

Graduating so many top prospects into the bigs this year seems to be a positive, no?
Wasn’t Kieboom sent back down?

Offline UMDNats

"top prospects"

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Technically, I think both Garcia and Kieboom have not lost rookie status.  Kieboom is at 107 PAs and Garcia around 64.  however, with Kieboom, a bit of the color on the bloom has faded because of 2 failed exposures to the majors.  I'd be surprised if he maintains a 20th or so place on prospect lists.  Garcia, OTOH, may move up if he does not graduate.  Romero and Crowe probably are just organizational depth now.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
If we can't get rocker or letter in the draft, then I want Brady house

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Technically, I think both Garcia and Kieboom have not lost rookie status.  Kieboom is at 107 PAs and Garcia around 64.  however, with Kieboom, a bit of the color on the bloom has faded because of 2 failed exposures to the majors.  I'd be surprised if he maintains a 20th or so place on prospect lists.  Garcia, OTOH, may move up if he does not graduate.  Romero and Crowe probably are just organizational depth now.

Crowe has had literally one game, and Romero had seven appearances after never pitching above A ball...it's a little early to declare these dudes failures.  With this level of patience, it's no wonder the league is littered with decent guys the Nats dumped.   

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Crowe has had literally one game, and Romero had seven appearances after never pitching above A ball...it's a little early to declare these dudes failures.  With this level of patience, it's no wonder the league is littered with decent guys the Nats dumped.   
my point is I don't see them as being top 100 prospects next year. I don't see a guy like Mayo or BP / BA/ fangraphs mentioning them as reasons we have even a middling prospect group

Offline Elvir Ovcina

my point is I don't see them as being top 100 prospects next year. I don't see a guy like Mayo or BP / BA/ fangraphs mentioning them as reasons we have even a middling prospect group

Oh, heck no.  Agree totally.  Behind Kieboom and Garcia, there's basically nothing in the system until the A-ball pitchers, who won't move up rankings with no evidence.  Crowe and Romero are the types of players every system has almost as a result of passive existence.