Author Topic: Young Nats Fan Looking For Help  (Read 1412 times)

Offline AbigailsDad

Young Nats Fan Looking For Help
« Topic Start: November 08, 2019, 08:06:48 PM »
Hi WNFF Members,

My seven year old daughter is a semifinalist in the 2019 WTOP Junior Reporter contest.  For her entry, she interviews her baby sister-to-be (in her very pregnant mom's tum) and her two dogs for their reaction to the Nationals being in the World Series.  We have bizarre dogs who offer different reactions.

She is one of 61 entries in the K-5 category.  Only the top ten vote recipients advance and she is currently outside the top ten.  We have exhausted our outreach via employers, FB, etc and still cannot crack the top ten. 

There is no editing or special effects, but she did something unique.  I won't claim we are longtime Nats fans as we really started following them in August after returning from overseas.

WTOP allows people to vote once per day with voting ending at 1700 on Sunday.  I do not know if she'll advance, but thought I'd reach out to Nats fans for help.  Regardless, she had a lot of fun making the video.

The voting is at https://wtop.com/contests/2019-junior-reporter-voting/

If she advances and were to win, she would receive $1000, her school, Oakton Elementary, would receive $1000, and she would have the opportunity to be interviewed live on WTOP.  (She is most excited about the last one.)

Her name is Abigail Boylan.  If anyone has an idea on how to potentially get more support for her from Nats fans, I would be very appreciative.

Abigail's Dad,
Greg

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Young Nats Fan Looking For Help
« Reply #1: November 09, 2019, 10:19:25 AM »
bump

Offline AbigailsDad

« Reply #2: November 09, 2019, 10:25:57 AM »
I would also like to add that should Abigail advance and win (an admitted longshot at this point), she will donate her $1000 to a charity in the Combined Federal Campaign.  She loves Paw Patrol, so I'm guessing one of the groups that support dog rescue teams would be her choice.

With two days of voting left and Abigail just being outside the top 10 that advance, things do not look good.  But with the Nats theme of her entry, we're hoping for some late inning heroics from Nats Nation.

https://wtop.com/contests/2019-junior-reporter-voting/

Thanks again,
Abigail's Dad

Offline The Chief

« Reply #3: November 09, 2019, 10:36:26 AM »
Who doesn't love Paw Patrol? :lol:

You might want to check out the nationals fan sub on reddit as well if you haven't already.  Reddit gets a lot of traffic and I'm sure they'd be able to help you out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nationals

Offline AbigailsDad

« Reply #4: November 09, 2019, 11:03:04 AM »
Thanks for the lead, Chief.  I just opened a reddit account and posted a plea for Abigail, so we'll what happens:)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #5: November 09, 2019, 12:50:43 PM »
Done...happy to help...and welcome to the forum...

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #6: November 09, 2019, 01:49:39 PM »
How does she feel about the Shutdown? Did she want to fire Davey on May 23rd?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #7: November 09, 2019, 01:54:54 PM »
Thanks for the lead, Chief.  I just opened a reddit account and posted a plea for Abigail, so we'll what happens:)

Done, glad you were able to get this posted!

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #8: November 09, 2019, 01:56:22 PM »
Done.

Offline AbigailsDad

« Reply #9: November 09, 2019, 02:56:31 PM »
How does she feel about the Shutdown? Did she want to fire Davey on May 23rd?

She was six months old when the shutdown happened so knowing how bbn impetuous she is, she probably would have blamed it for the subsequent first round playoff disappointments.  Also, would have called for Martinez to be fired based on the slow start.

Conversation at breakfast before the first day of Kindegarten:
Me:  I remember my first day of Kindergarten.  I had butterflies in my stomach.  Do you have butterflies?
Abigail: Daddy, I don't have butterflies in my stomach. I'M VEGETARIAN!

Thanks for everyone's help.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #10: November 09, 2019, 06:08:21 PM »
Super cute!  Voted, hope she wins :thumbs:

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #11: November 09, 2019, 10:33:19 PM »
Voted!

Offline AbigailsDad

« Reply #12: November 10, 2019, 10:26:15 AM »
Thanks to everyone who voted for her.  The voting ends at 1700 today. If you voted yesterday, we'd love your vote again today as the public is allowed to vote once per day.  If you haven't voted yet, we'd love to have you join Team Abigail as were she to win, she will donate her $1000 to charity.

She currently remains outside the top 10 that advance to the finals but as Nats fans know better than anyone, we're not ruling out late-inning heroics.

https://wtop.com/contests/2019-junior-reporter-voting/

Abigail's Dad,
Greg

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #13: November 10, 2019, 11:44:37 AM »
Just saw this, voted.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #14: November 10, 2019, 12:10:30 PM »
Just saw this, voted.

Same. Good luck! Let's get this done, wnff!

Offline wj73

« Reply #15: November 10, 2019, 01:44:32 PM »
Adorable!  Voted!  :thumbs:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #16: November 10, 2019, 01:45:12 PM »
New day = voted again :thumbs:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #17: November 10, 2019, 02:15:53 PM »
got one from me

Offline trangert418

• Quit Clowning Around
« Reply #18: November 10, 2019, 02:46:54 PM »
Wish I'd checked in here sooner....just voted

Offline AbigailsDad

« Reply #19: November 10, 2019, 07:05:40 PM »
I just wanted to thank everyone for supporting Abigail after I dropped in on WNFF on Friday evening. We'll find out on the 13th whether she advanced.  She was not in the top 10 at the end of the competition, so I'm doubtful she advances but who knows.  She had a blast doing the video and in the end, that's what matters.  She has lived six of her seven years overseas and cheering the Nats on with her 2nd grade class gave her a huge assist in terms of adjusting to life  Americana.  (Apple pie will be next.:) )

I look forward to taking her to Nats games in the Spring.  If we run into people like the type we met on WNFF, we are in for a treat.

Abigail's Dad,
Greg

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #20: November 10, 2019, 07:14:01 PM »
Good luck!

Offline dracnal

« Reply #21: November 11, 2019, 02:40:46 AM »
I just wanted to thank everyone for supporting Abigail after I dropped in on WNFF on Friday evening. We'll find out on the 13th whether she advanced.  She was not in the top 10 at the end of the competition, so I'm doubtful she advances but who knows.  She had a blast doing the video and in the end, that's what matters.  She has lived six of her seven years overseas and cheering the Nats on with her 2nd grade class gave her a huge assist in terms of adjusting to life  Americana.  (Apple pie will be next.:) )

I look forward to taking her to Nats games in the Spring.  If we run into people like the type we met on WNFF, we are in for a treat.

Abigail's Dad,
Greg

Good luck, have fun next season, and don't attend any game against the Phillies in our park - or at least, don't bring Abigail.