Author Topic: Attendance impact of World Series  (Read 2656 times)

Offline nats4ever

Re: Attendance impact of World Series
« Reply #25: November 05, 2019, 04:09:43 PM »
All about winning. If the nats stay consistent winning the attendance will be fine.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #26: November 05, 2019, 04:11:54 PM »
All about winning. If the nats stay consistent winning the attendance will be fine.
The attendance will rebound next year win or lose. And probably a year beyond that.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #27: November 05, 2019, 07:50:37 PM »
Logging out until April.  Has been a great season.  Looking forward to see you again in the Spring. A Taco Bell goodbye

Why? The forum is great in the offseason.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #28: November 05, 2019, 07:56:52 PM »
Why? The forum is great in the offseason.
there is at least 18 GMs who can spend their Lerners money better than Rizzo on this board, so they think

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
« Reply #29: November 05, 2019, 08:23:16 PM »
there is at least 18 GMs who can spend their Lerners money better than Rizzo on this board, so they think
rizzo is one of the best gms in baseball. You got to respect that in a city of pure incompetence that we have at least an NHL and MLB front office that know what they are doing

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #30: November 05, 2019, 10:52:17 PM »
Logging out until April.  Has been a great season.  Looking forward to see you again in the Spring. A Taco Bell goodbye

Sleep well.. hope that H.A.L. does not kill you...

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #31: November 05, 2019, 11:21:39 PM »
Good in April, maybe May. But if the Nats arent winning, itll all be for nothing.

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #32: November 05, 2019, 11:44:37 PM »
Good in April, maybe May. But if the Nats arent winning, itll all be for nothing.

I'm a negative fan...my behavior this year proves that...

But I don't know why you and RZKazoo have to be so damn negative and ruin everything.

Online Slateman

« Reply #33: November 05, 2019, 11:46:39 PM »
I'm a negative fan...my behavior this year proves that...

But I don't know why you and RZKazoo have to be so damn negative and ruin everything.
What are you talking about?

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #34: November 06, 2019, 12:41:37 AM »
Given the change from the 1st part of the season at 19 - 31 and the rest of the season, you're wrong again on your negative predictions.  But then, what else is new ?

Online Slateman

« Reply #35: November 06, 2019, 06:34:54 AM »
Given the change from the 1st part of the season at 19 - 31 and the rest of the season, you're wrong again on your negative predictions.  But then, what else is new ?

Offline SharkNats

Re: Re: Postseason Awards
« Reply #36: November 06, 2019, 07:59:39 AM »
The resale market will drop next year with all the season tickets bought during playoffs.

Attendance will jump next year. This season came off a rough one, there was no offseason buzz, and they started 19-31. Even with the big turnaround, people just lost interest. I also think people expected everything to collapse. The Game 4 NLDS attendance told the tale of a fan base that pretty much wrote down a loss.

Yup, exactly.
Alot of people bought season tickets just to get the World Series tickets and they plan on selling the season tickets to make back their money which will deflate prices.  So tickets sales will be up but attendance will be alot lower than the sales.

Offline SharkNats

« Reply #37: November 06, 2019, 08:02:58 AM »
Do we not think that people will actually go to more games next year because the team won the World Series. People here act as this won’t drive genuine interest in the team and that any increase in attendance is just from increase in season ticket holder base.

I think it depends if Strasburg, Rendon and to a lesser extent Kendrick and Parra are retained.

If they go cheap and it doesn't look like the team will contend for another World Series it will probably go back to the same attendance.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38: November 06, 2019, 08:05:51 AM »
Yup, exactly.
Alot of people bought season tickets just to get the World Series tickets and they plan on selling the season tickets to make back their money which will deflate prices.  So tickets sales will be up but attendance will be alot lower than the sales.

The Nats use dynamic pricing for their tickets. And they use Stubhub. It’s not clear to me why extra Season ticket holders would drive down prices. Those tickets are being sold on the secondary market either by the Nats or by a plan holder. Plus a person actually having a ticket makes them more likely to go.

Also, the Attendance number is based on ticket sales, not turnstile clicks.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #39: November 06, 2019, 08:42:13 AM »
In terms of actual butts in seats, I agree that the team's performance in the spring of 2020 will be a bigger factor than the World Series championship. In term of money in the Lerners pockets, they have already cashed in on a significant ticket sales boost and may continue to do so during the offseason.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #40: November 06, 2019, 08:55:17 AM »
In terms of actual butts in seats, I agree that the team's performance in the spring of 2020 will be a bigger factor than the World Series championship. In term of money in the Lerners pockets, they have already cashed in on a significant ticket sales boost and may continue to do so during the offseason.
No. The Nats are actually cool now. Attendance will be up. If they don’t perform in 2020 the effect will be in 2021. Attendance always lags behind performance.

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #41: November 06, 2019, 09:22:57 AM »

I completely misread what you wrote. My apologies.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #42: November 06, 2019, 09:33:40 AM »
Edited some posts.  Please stop insulting people without cause.  Negativity "call-outs" are borderline, but straight up name-calling is going to garner a formal warning next time.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #43: November 06, 2019, 09:42:13 AM »
No. The Nats are actually cool now. Attendance will be up. If they don’t perform in 2020 the effect will be in 2021. Attendance always lags behind performance.

Nats have been cool since 2012.

Offline SharkNats

« Reply #44: November 06, 2019, 09:47:55 AM »
The Nats use dynamic pricing for their tickets. And they use Stubhub. It’s not clear to me why extra Season ticket holders would drive down prices. Those tickets are being sold on the secondary market either by the Nats or by a plan holder. Plus a person actually having a ticket makes them more likely to go.

Essentially alot of non fans/ticket brokers or non diehard fans bought 2020 season ticket plans in order to get WS tickets to either go to or make a profit.  Their plan is to sell their season tickets either as a block or to individual games (in order to recoup their cost or make profit) which will flood the resale market driving prices down.

In terms of Attendance number, it's the look test.  It may say sold out but if the stadium is half empty then it's a half empty stadium.

Online Slateman

« Reply #45: November 06, 2019, 09:51:45 AM »
Like I said, you'll see a nice boost in April and May. Lot of people are going to want to take their kids/friends to games to see the WS champs. After that, it's mostly performance driven.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46: November 06, 2019, 10:05:38 AM »
Essentially alot of non fans/ticket brokers or non diehard fans bought 2020 season ticket plans in order to get WS tickets to either go to or make a profit.  Their plan is to sell their season tickets either as a block or to individual games (in order to recoup their cost or make profit) which will flood the resale market driving prices down.

In terms of Attendance number, it's the look test.  It may say sold out but if the stadium is half empty then it's a half empty stadium.

I understand why people are thinking this. But tickets prices dropping would be the result of tickets being on the market that otherwise wouldn’t be there. But there are a fixed amount of seats in the park. And every seat is for sale. So it doesn’t matter if that ticket is being sold by a season ticket holder on Stubhub or by the Nationals on their website or on Stubhub. If the Nats hadn’t sold those tickets to more casual fans in the form of season plans, they wouldn’t have kept them off the market, they would have sold them.
And I would argue that a ticket is less likely to make it on the market if it’s owned by a season plan holder than it is if it’s held by the Nationals. A plan holder may decide to go, or give it to a friend, or thinks it’s a pain to list it on stub hub that day. The Nationals are guaranteed to try to sell it.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #47: November 06, 2019, 10:16:33 AM »

I think folks are suggesting that the extra season tickets sold will lead to the secondary market being flooded by   folks who really were not intending to go to too many regular season games.  I suppose if it is a decision between "should I try to resell the ticket I have tonight through my single half season seat plan or should I think about going to see the Mariners mid-week," I'll guess the resale value will be limited, so maybe that person goes if it is a nice night, or maybe they just say "FP kind of grows on you when you are on your 3d gin and tonic."

Bluestreak - re: your immediately prior explanation of your thoughts - I don't think the Nats will ever sell a ticket below face unless it is in a group deal.  You'll get 2:1 offers, maybe liberalization of RCRs for specific games, but never below face.  Flooding the secondary market will lead to sales below face there.  It's like what I used to do with an extra pair - sell a $130 pair out of a quad to reseller outside the stadium for $20 so I get my beer and dog covered.  I'm out the $130, so any money is better than none.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #48: November 06, 2019, 10:24:25 AM »
I understand why people are thinking this. But tickets prices dropping would be the result of tickets being on the market that otherwise wouldn’t be there. But there are a fixed amount of seats in the park. And every seat is for sale. So it doesn’t matter if that ticket is being sold by a season ticket holder on Stubhub or by the Nationals on their website or on Stubhub. If the Nats hadn’t sold those tickets to more casual fans in the form of season plans, they wouldn’t have kept them off the market, they would have sold them.
And I would argue that a ticket is less likely to make it on the market if it’s owned by a season plan holder than it is if it’s held by the Nationals. A plan holder may decide to go, or give it to a friend, or thinks it’s a pain to list it on stub hub that day. The Nationals are guaranteed to try to sell it.

I’d suspect that the team is more sophisticated than just selling all open seats in the market place for whatever they will get- if nothing else, how far below face they want to go before they worry about impacting season ticket and multi game purchases is something that a broker or season ticket holder trying to just get anything doesn’t have to take into consideration

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49: November 06, 2019, 10:30:45 AM »
I’d suspect that the team is more sophisticated than just selling all open seats in the market place for whatever they will get- if nothing else, how far below face they want to go before they worry about impacting season ticket and multi game purchases is something that a broker or season ticket holder trying to just get anything doesn’t have to take into consideration

But I’m pretty sure the team uses stubhub to sell inventory (not all of it, and I think it’s to avoid the issues you cite above). And they definitely don’t have a “face value” any more. The tickets are dynamically priced based on demand even when sold on the Nats website.