Author Topic: Attendance impact of World Series  (Read 2668 times)

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
Attendance impact of World Series
« Topic Start: November 04, 2019, 07:04:28 PM »
   Washington   81   2,259,781   27,898

Yikes. Not even 28k average attendance at home in a stadium built for 41.3k. That is good for 16th in MLB.

67% capacity. 1/3 seats was empty all season long.

I know all the words about the fans supporting the team is all placating garbage now. I am willing to bet the number was way lower until about August/Sept.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Re: Re: Postseason Awards
« Reply #1: November 04, 2019, 07:34:23 PM »

Yikes. Not even 28k average attendance at home in a stadium built for 41.3k. That is good for 16th in MLB.

I know all the words about the fans supporting the team is all placating garbage now. I am willing to bet the number was way lower until about August/Sept.

What does this have to do with postseason awards?

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #2: November 04, 2019, 07:37:26 PM »
Nothing.

But weighing in, I can’t afford to go to as many games as I could back when the Nats stunk and TV/radio options are great.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #3: November 04, 2019, 07:37:39 PM »

I think it was a carryover from 2018, which left a bad taste in our mouths.  As I said in another thread, stadium attendance is a lagging indicator. 2020 will be a banner year for attendance.  Being I don't like crowds, that's not necessary good news for me.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

« Reply #4: November 04, 2019, 07:41:24 PM »
I think it was a carryover from 2018, which left a bad taste in our mouths.  As I said in another thread, stadium attendance is a lagging indicator. 2020 will be a banner year for attendance.  Being I don't like crowds, that's not necessary good news for me.

You mean you dont enjoy those 15 min lines in center field and 30 min waits on the green line?  :lol:

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #5: November 05, 2019, 12:32:39 AM »
Split the season in half and look at the difference in average attendance the first 40-41 games vs the second 40-41 games.  It will show how the Nats winning after game 50 affected fans in the stands

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

« Reply #6: November 05, 2019, 01:03:05 AM »
Split the season in half and look at the difference in average attendance the first 40-41 games vs the second 40-41 games.  It will show how the Nats winning after game 50 affected fans in the stands
it just means that most of the attendance came from front runners.

Offline miller10

« Reply #7: November 05, 2019, 07:03:11 AM »
Attendance is usually poor in the first part of the season when school is still in session.  Who wants to bring a family to a Tuesday night game in April against the Marlins?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #8: November 05, 2019, 09:16:21 AM »
Actually, attendance was not all that hot for the last homestand.  There were lots of giveaways.  The M&G game was pretty popular, but other than that, they had the 2:1 on tickets I think. 

Next year, with the SPH base up due to to the WS ticket tie in, I'm thinking the low sold will be in the neighborhood of 23K so the average might bump 4,000 or so.  At 32,000 average, you will start to get some more sellouts.

Offline miller10

« Reply #9: November 05, 2019, 10:01:01 AM »
Actually, attendance was not all that hot for the last homestand.  There were lots of giveaways.  The M&G game was pretty popular, but other than that, they had the 2:1 on tickets I think. 

Next year, with the SPH base up due to to the WS ticket tie in, I'm thinking the low sold will be in the neighborhood of 23K so the average might bump 4,000 or so.  At 32,000 average, you will start to get some more sellouts.

And a truck load of tickets on the re-sale market.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

« Reply #10: November 05, 2019, 10:04:25 AM »
Attendance was really bad because I remember they were doing two for one And giving 15 dollar food credit just to get people to show up. That’s something you would never see in Any major market. I hope fans show up during the season all year. After a ws run you expect to be in the top 5 in attendance

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #11: November 05, 2019, 10:22:02 AM »
Wasn't part of the decrease in attendance due to no Royce?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #12: November 05, 2019, 10:46:25 AM »
The resale market will drop next year with all the season tickets bought during playoffs.

Attendance will jump next year. This season came off a rough one, there was no offseason buzz, and they started 19-31. Even with the big turnaround, people just lost interest. I also think people expected everything to collapse. The Game 4 NLDS attendance told the tale of a fan base that pretty much wrote down a loss.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13: November 05, 2019, 10:51:12 AM »
Do we not think that people will actually go to more games next year because the team won the World Series. People here act as this won’t drive genuine interest in the team and that any increase in attendance is just from increase in season ticket holder base.

Offline miller10

« Reply #14: November 05, 2019, 11:25:54 AM »
Do we not think that people will actually go to more games next year because the team won the World Series. People here act as this won’t drive genuine interest in the team and that any increase in attendance is just from increase in season ticket holder base.

I think it will.  I could see us easily averaging 33,000-36,000 next season.  I don't expect us to average what large market teams average (NY, LA, Chicago) but we should be with the Cleveland, Colorado, Atlanta's of the world (which we are middle of the pack on).  M

Maybe we should spin this out of the awards thread into a general attendance topic?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15: November 05, 2019, 11:28:15 AM »
nah, I think my point was that the base is higher, so there's a minimum increase in the floor for attendance locked in.  There will be some rise day to day, too.  You maybe will not see much above the floor on midweek early season games when resale market can absorb the demand, but weekends and in demand opponents, and just plain nice weather should see enough of that market absorbed so that there will be a further bump in attendance. 

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Attendance impact of World Series
« Reply #16: November 05, 2019, 01:06:13 PM »
nah, I think my point was that the base is higher, so there's a minimum increase in the floor for attendance locked in.  There will be some rise day to day, too.  You maybe will not see much above the floor on midweek early season games when resale market can absorb the demand, but weekends and in demand opponents, and just plain nice weather should see enough of that market absorbed so that there will be a further bump in attendance. 

I'd guess a rise early on, but then it will fall off

Offline miller10

« Reply #17: November 05, 2019, 01:11:00 PM »
I'd guess a rise early on, but then it will fall off

So much of it depends on who they are playing (especially in April when the kids are in school and the weather is iffy).

They open against the Mets but then play the Marlins (which won't draw much).  The other 2 teams they play at home are the Cubs and the Dodgers so that should help with the attendance for April but the May opponents are dire as it relates to drawing crowds (Reds, Diamondbacks, Mariners, Marlins) so we could see a drop again. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18: November 05, 2019, 01:32:43 PM »
Mariners?  I'm sure the Fangraphs editorial staff in the area will be there.  We can rub it in how they have not been to the World Series.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #19: November 05, 2019, 01:55:39 PM »

I wonder how many people bought plans to get WS tickets- I'd guess a decent portion of those end up on the secondary market

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #20: November 05, 2019, 02:53:46 PM »
I wonder how many people bought plans to get WS tickets- I'd guess a decent portion of those end up on the secondary market
My brother did and a friend of his followed suit . He will dump most of them and lose money because they are crappy seats.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21: November 05, 2019, 03:17:09 PM »
So that means season ticket holder base will crater after next year. 

Offline miller10

« Reply #22: November 05, 2019, 03:23:51 PM »
So that means season ticket holder base will crater after next year. 
Yeah, unless they resign Stras and Rendon and make another run at the WS.

Offline Bookman

« Reply #23: November 05, 2019, 03:31:51 PM »
Logging out until April.  Has been a great season.  Looking forward to see you again in the Spring. A Taco Bell goodbye

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #24: November 05, 2019, 04:01:24 PM »
Logging out until April.  Has been a great season.  Looking forward to see you again in the Spring. A Taco Bell goodbye
Hasta luego.