Author Topic: Postseason Awards  (Read 5913 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Postseason Awards
« Reply #100: November 19, 2019, 08:03:20 AM »
Soriano and Dunn are on the HOF ballot for next year.
Rafael or Alfonso?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #101: November 19, 2019, 08:12:54 AM »
Soriano and Dunn are on the HOF ballot for next year.
I would laugh, but Harold freaking Baines is in the HoF so ....

Offline Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #102: November 19, 2019, 01:34:36 PM »
Chone Figgins and A.J. Putz are also on the ballot, among the 18 first timers. The only slam-dunk among the first timers is Derek Jeter. Opinions may differ, but Bobby Abreu, Jason Giambi and Alfonso Soriano are marginal cases, even if you are a "big Hall" guy.

The questions to me are (1) how many of these first timers will even make it to the second time? and (2) what effect this will have on the 14 holdovers further up the ballot? If voters feel they have to come up with ten names to fill their ballots, but aren't exactly jazzed by Abreu and the like, what does this do for Schilling, Bonds, Clemens, Walker, etc.? If enough writers say they aren't not going to vote for the known and suspected PED users, do other marginal cases like Scott Rolen, Billy Wagner and Andruw Jones benefit?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #103: November 19, 2019, 01:36:49 PM »
I remember Chone Figgins. He has 1200 hits. How tf he gonna get on the ballot?

Offline Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #104: November 19, 2019, 01:51:08 PM »
It is every player who played at least 10 seasons and retired five years ago.

Here's the list, as well as the veterans ballot list: https://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/hof_2020.shtml

Last year, there were 20 first timers. Two were elected (Mariano and Halladay), and two received enough votes to remain on the ballot (Pettitte and Helton). Eleven received no votes at all. Last year was also the last year of eligibility for Fred McGriff, so he will have to wait for the veterans' committee to get another shot.

Offline expos1994

« Reply #105: November 19, 2019, 01:52:17 PM »

I barely remember Chone Figgins. Seems like they let just about anybody on the ballot.

Also, how long will they punish the PED guys. I mean really... Barry Bonds? almost everybody did PEDs. It was the culture. Surely there are guys getting in that did them but didn't get caught.

Offline Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #106: November 19, 2019, 01:53:58 PM »
Rafael or Alfonso?
Alfonso. Rafael will be eligible next year. Also Dan Uggla and Adam Laroche, among others.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #107: November 19, 2019, 02:00:01 PM »
I barely remember Chone Figgins. Seems like they let just about anybody on the ballot.

Also, how long will they punish the PED guys. I mean really... Barry Bonds? almost everybody did PEDs. It was the culture. Surely there are guys getting in that did them but didn't get caught.

He was a big steals guy with a ton of position eligibility in fantasy- that’s the only reason anyone knows who he is

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #108: November 19, 2019, 02:04:33 PM »
Alfonso. Rafael will be eligible next year. Also Dan Uggla and Adam Laroche, among others.
since it was also Adam LaRoche's kid's last year in the clubhouse, will he be on the ballot, too?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #109: November 19, 2019, 02:06:22 PM »
He was a big steals guy with a ton of position eligibility in fantasy- that’s the only reason anyone knows who he is
It's funny how a guy is useful in fantasy and he is remembered.  Willie Bloomquist!

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #110: November 21, 2019, 12:12:47 PM »
Strasburg and Scherzer make the ESPN All-MLB First Team for 2019.  Rendon makes 2nd team.  Corbin, Soto and Kendrick join the former-nat now in Philly, and Adam Eaton's trade bait on the 3rd team.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28114533/espn-2019-all-mlb-team

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #111: November 21, 2019, 04:25:50 PM »
Strasburg and Scherzer make the ESPN All-MLB First Team for 2019.  Rendon makes 2nd team.  Corbin, Soto and Kendrick join the former-nat now in Philly, and Adam Eaton's trade bait on the 3rd team.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28114533/espn-2019-all-mlb-team

Soto-lite should be honored to be on the same team as the Juan and Only.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #112: November 22, 2019, 01:55:01 PM »
It is every player who played at least 10 seasons and retired five years ago.

Here's the list, as well as the veterans ballot list: https://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/hof_2020.shtml

Last year, there were 20 first timers. Two were elected (Mariano and Halladay), and two received enough votes to remain on the ballot (Pettitte and Helton). Eleven received no votes at all. Last year was also the last year of eligibility for Fred McGriff, so he will have to wait for the veterans' committee to get another shot.

Every player doesn’t make it. Here is a list of players who meet that criteria and retired In 2014 but aren’t on the ballot.

Mike Adams, Jason Bartlett, Erik Bedard, John Buck, Shawn Camp, Ronny Cedeño, Endy Chavez, Greg Dobbs, Ryan Doumit, Scott Downs, Mark Ellis, Kyle Farnsworth, Frank Francisco, Álex González, Matt Guerrier, Scott Hairston, Koyie Hill,  Maicer Izturis, Jason Kubel, Brandon League, Ryan Ludwick, Paul Maholm, John McDonald, Nate McLouth, José Molina, Xavier Nady, Miguel Olivo, Lyle Overbay, Nick Punto,  Humberto Quintero, Guillermo Quiroz, Ramón Santiago, Joe Saunders, Marco Scutaro, Josh Willingham and Jamey Wright.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #113: November 22, 2019, 02:10:40 PM »
Every player doesn’t make it. Here is a list of players who meet that criteria and retired In 2014 but aren’t on the ballot.

Mike Adams, Jason Bartlett, Erik Bedard, John Buck, Shawn Camp, Ronny Cedeño, Endy Chavez, Greg Dobbs, Ryan Doumit, Scott Downs, Mark Ellis, Kyle Farnsworth, Frank Francisco, Álex González, Matt Guerrier, Scott Hairston, Koyie Hill,  Maicer Izturis, Jason Kubel, Brandon League, Ryan Ludwick, Paul Maholm, John McDonald, Nate McLouth, José Molina, Xavier Nady, Miguel Olivo, Lyle Overbay, Nick Punto,  Humberto Quintero, Guillermo Quiroz, Ramón Santiago, Joe Saunders, Marco Scutaro, Josh Willingham and Jamey Wright.

Here is the criteria. I would assume those you listed did not play in each of ten seasons. Or perhaps they did not officially retire 5 years ago? 

https://baseballhall.org/hall-of-famers/rules/bbwaa-rules-for-election#bbwaa-rules-for-election

Offline Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #114: November 22, 2019, 02:30:09 PM »

The definition of "played" in a Major League season isn't defined in the rules at the link, but looking at the career stats for some of the players you've listed, my impression is that there must be a minimum number of plate appearances or batters faced/innings pitches to qualify as having "played" for that to count toward the ten seasons. Maybe similar to the rules which determine whether a player still qualifies as a rookie even if he had late-season call-ups before?

For example, Jason Bartlett had 14 PAs in 8 games in 2004, 98 PAs in 29 games in 2012 and 4 PAs in 3 games in 2014. He only had six seasons where he played more than half a season.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #115: November 22, 2019, 02:35:09 PM »
Here is the criteria. I would assume those you listed did not play in each of ten seasons. Or perhaps they did not officially retire 5 years ago? 

https://baseballhall.org/hall-of-famers/rules/bbwaa-rules-for-election#bbwaa-rules-for-election

A. BBWAA Screening Committee -- A Screening Committee consisting of baseball writers will be appointed by the BBWAA. This Screening Committee shall consist of six members, with two members to be elected at each Annual Meeting for a three-year term. The duty of the Screening Committee shall be to prepare a ballot listing in alphabetical order eligible candidates who (1) received a vote on a minimum of five percent (5%) of the ballots cast in the preceding election or (2) are eligible for the first time and are nominated by any two of the six members of the BBWAA Screening Committee.

So there is a committee that decides which players get on the ballot out of the group of those who meet the criteria.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #116: November 22, 2019, 02:37:22 PM »
dude, erik bedard only retired in 2014?

Offline Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #117: November 22, 2019, 02:43:42 PM »

...are eligible for the first time and are nominated by any two of the six members of the BBWAA Screening Committee
I see. So we have no idea if the screening committee's criteria are completely subjective or if they apply some criteria along the lines of what I mentioned?

Offline Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #118: November 22, 2019, 02:52:15 PM »
And looking a little further at some of the other players on and off the ballot, I can't think of a reason why J.J. Putz would get nominated but Kyle Farnsworth wouldn't.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #119: November 22, 2019, 02:54:41 PM »
And looking a little further at some of the other players on and off the ballot, I can't think of a reason why J.J. Putz would get nominated but Kyle Farnsworth wouldn't.
name value.  I mean, what sort of jokes can you make about a name like Farnsworth? 

Offline Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #120: November 22, 2019, 02:55:47 PM »
dude, erik bedard only retired in 2014?
Bedard made three starts in the California League in 2015, but last played in the majors in 2014. No idea when or if he "officially" retired.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #121: November 22, 2019, 03:14:12 PM »

I see. So we have no idea if the screening committee's criteria are completely subjective or if they apply some criteria along the lines of what I mentioned?

My guess is it’s subjective.  Look at Ramon Santiago:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/santira01.shtml

He played at least 40 games in 10 different years and he’s not on the ballot.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #122: November 25, 2019, 07:41:14 PM »

An ERA more than a run lower over his entire career plus 130 more saves would be two good ones.  Putz had a career ERA+ of 138 (very good).  Farnsworth's was 101 (almost exactly average).  Plus people pretty much universally hated Farnsworth.  He's a renowned jerk in a line of work where achieving that title takes some doing.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #124: December 03, 2019, 04:53:08 PM »