Author Topic: Everything has changed  (Read 1181 times)

Offline rileyn

Everything has changed
« Topic Start: November 03, 2019, 06:56:39 AM »
Before 2019, the Nationals post-season record was 7-12 in games and 0-4 in series.  We were 0-3 in winner-take-all games (games 5's), all at home.  We have had to wear Tim Hudson's comments about the Nats having nothing between their legs, and then having SF emasculate us in 2014.  The smug Cardinals have always looked down on us.  The Braves, Cubs, Dodgers reveled in the fact that we had zero playoff series wins.

After this October the Nats are now 19-17 in playoff games, 4-4 in series, 3-3 in winner take all games, including finally getting one at home (Milwaukee).  The Giants are in a rebuild.  The Cardinals just got pummeled and should have their tails between their legs at this point, the Cubs have not turned into the dynasty everybody thought they would become.  The Dodgers are still searching and Stan Kasten is probably pulling what is left of his hair out, about the Nats winning a World Series before they did.  The Braves are clearly on the upswing but we will always have 2019 to revel in until they crack an egg.

Everything has changed.   

Offline Natsfan

Re: Everything has changed
« Reply #1: November 03, 2019, 08:57:06 AM »
Yes it has. Even with the players being WS Champions,  their cost has been elevated. Hoping the Nats have deep pockets.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
« Reply #2: November 03, 2019, 09:00:57 AM »
Yes it has. Even with the players being WS Champions,  their cost has been elevated. Hoping the Nats have deep pockets.
Keeping the gang together is going to just cost way too much. You gotta inject blood into certain spots. Bp and infield except ss is all a mystery. Truly is going to be interesting

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #3: November 03, 2019, 10:14:36 AM »
Geico/Kaiser Permanante/SAIC Park would be completely worth Rendon resigning.

Offline Chelsea_Phil

« Reply #4: November 03, 2019, 10:41:39 AM »
Maybe Amazon Park with them establishing their East coast base here?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5: November 03, 2019, 11:54:28 AM »
I always thought Delta was a logical choice. Or Boeing.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #6: November 03, 2019, 12:06:39 PM »

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #8: November 03, 2019, 01:11:13 PM »
Keeping the gang together is going to just cost way too much. You gotta inject blood into certain spots. Bp and infield except ss is all a mystery. Truly is going to be interesting
they have some flexibilty and could even meet Stras at $30MM AAV and Rendon at $35MM.  They have a cheap closer (Doo at $6MM), RF an 1 catcher spot, plus 3 rotation slots on long term contracts.  Soto and Robles are MLB minimum.  Huddy may not break the bank if you want him back. Give the 5th rotation slot to one of Fedde / Ross / Voth, and things start to look affordable.  Neither Suero nor Rainey are arb eligible.  Trick is can you pull together a Zim plus mystery
<---
at 1st and get Kieboom to play 2d.  If Rendon walks, you can definitely keep almost all the old gang you want together, even Howie.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #9: November 03, 2019, 01:34:28 PM »
Nats can make it work with Rendon and Strasburg only since they have a cheap outfield and are about to be cheap at first base.

Long term, if the bring back Rendon and Strasburg, the financial landmines are Turner and Soto, but by the time Soto comes due Scherzer will be mostly off the books, other than deferred salary.

If they could get MASN sorted out, the situation would add up a lot more easily.

Offline Expos

« Reply #10: November 03, 2019, 02:12:48 PM »

No-one is talking about how much the Lerners just made from these home playoff games. 8 home games. All the extra broadcast revenue, food and drink sales and advertising muat have been millions.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #11: November 03, 2019, 02:14:18 PM »
No-one is talking about how much the Lerners just made from these home playoff games. 8 home games. All the extra broadcast revenue, food and drink sales and advertising muat have been millions.
That’s for them. They don’t want to exceed the luxury tax.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #12: November 03, 2019, 02:19:48 PM »

The take from the extra games is pretty low, IIRC.  In the World Series, you don't start making gate money until the 5th game with all the guarantees to MLBPA and MLB, I'm pretty sure.  Souvenir revenues don't go much to the team itself (maybe 30%?).

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #13: November 03, 2019, 02:28:10 PM »
The take from the extra games is pretty low, IIRC.  In the World Series, you don't start making gate money until the 5th game with all the guarantees to MLBPA and MLB, I'm pretty sure.  Souvenir revenues don't go much to the team itself (maybe 30%?).
I think the big revenue jump will be 2021 when ticket prices and sponsorship fees will reflect the new success. Improved attendance will drive up revenues, but since prices already locked in there won't be a massive windfall until the premium seats and sponsorships bump up.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #14: November 03, 2019, 05:52:46 PM »

Too much of an Atlanta connection for Delta.

Offline Briggs

« Reply #15: November 03, 2019, 06:26:56 PM »
The Lerners can afford Ant and Stras IF- they wish to remain in DC.
1. The Lerners own most of Tysons, 2. The increase in season ticket purchases and revenue from huge increases in merch and the money that comes from winning a WS, 3. The money they will eventually get from the MASN deal... they can afford both!  The narratsve that the Nats can't afford whomever is as shallow as the "Synder wants to win" schtick.  Welcome to the big time Lerner!

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #16: November 03, 2019, 06:56:16 PM »
I think the big revenue jump will be 2021 when ticket prices and sponsorship fees will reflect the new success. Improved attendance will drive up revenues, but since prices already locked in there won't be a massive windfall until the premium seats and sponsorships bump up.
The prices are already locked in for people who already bought them.  But that's a small percentage, right?

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #17: November 03, 2019, 07:07:50 PM »
The Lerners can afford Ant and Stras IF- they wish to remain in DC.
1. The Lerners own most of Tysons, 2. The increase in season ticket purchases and revenue from huge increases in merch and the money that comes from winning a WS, 3. The money they will eventually get from the MASN deal... they can afford both!  The narratsve that the Nats can't afford whomever is as shallow as the "Synder wants to win" schtick.  Welcome to the big time Lerner!
Yes, they afford both.  But I'm looking at it a different way.  Anthony already accomplished the ultimate goal.  I really think Anthony's price is going to be prohibitively high.  Some team is going to over spend. 

Stras probably wants to finish his career here -- it's just a matter of offering a competitive contract.   

As for the others -- Bringing the old gang back would have sentimental value only.   For example, Howie is injury prone.  One more significant setback and he's ready for pasture.  This is a great opportunity for a new beginning.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #18: November 04, 2019, 11:48:48 AM »

Hard to imagine Boeing passing up multiple chances at stadium naming rights in Seattle but then doing it in DC.  Same for Delta and Atlanta. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #19: November 04, 2019, 06:53:02 PM »
Howie is a career .290 hitter. Since he recovered from his injury, he hasn't been injured again. He's great off the bench, and he can be had for what, $5M a year? Two year contract maybe? Two to three starts a week and the first pinch hitter off the bench?

Give me that any year.

Yes, they afford both.  But I'm looking at it a different way.  Anthony already accomplished the ultimate goal.  I really think Anthony's price is going to be prohibitively high.  Some team is going to over spend. 

Stras probably wants to finish his career here -- it's just a matter of offering a competitive contract.   

As for the others -- Bringing the old gang back would have sentimental value only.   For example, Howie is injury prone.  One more significant setback and he's ready for pasture.  This is a great opportunity for a new beginning.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
« Reply #20: November 04, 2019, 07:11:31 PM »
Caps tried bringing the entire gang back last year. It didnt work. Sentimentality only works if it produces results. The unfortunate nature of the business.

Caps are looking damn good this year after revamping the bottom 6.

If we fix some issues in the platoon and resign the guys we need to then I dont see why this team cant challenge for the Division. Braves are going to drop off hard in my opinion.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #21: November 04, 2019, 09:54:00 PM »
Caps tried bringing the entire gang back last year. It didnt work. Sentimentality only works if it produces results. The unfortunate nature of the business.

Caps are looking damn good this year after revamping the bottom 6.

If we fix some issues in the platoon and resign the guys we need to then I dont see why this team cant challenge for the Division. Braves are going to drop off hard in my opinion.

First off, you have a fantastic screen name.

Secondly, we still have one of the top rotations in baseball (assuming we keep Strasburg).  If we keep Rendon, we're still at least competitive.  Soto and Robles should get better.  And hopefully Kieboom emerges as a quality player.