Author Topic: WE DID IT  (Read 28802 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Re: WE DID IT
« Reply #476: July 10, 2020, 07:46:50 AM »

It’s an easy read. He has a light style and doesn’t get bogged down with reams of stats like some baseball writers.

I am only thru the first 50 pages or so, but I'm enjoying it.  I never liked his writing while covering the team activities...very superficial...so this is a very pleasant surprise.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #477: July 10, 2020, 08:57:58 AM »
Has there ever been a player as good as Rendon who seems to absolutely hate baseball?

The second best player I can think of who was like that was Keith Foulke, the closer for the 2004 Red Sox. He was very adamant that he hated baseball, and further he said he really loved hockey.

I believe at one point he was caught attending a Bruins game during a Red Sox game.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #478: July 10, 2020, 04:02:48 PM »
Has there ever been a player as good as Rendon who seems to absolutely hate baseball?

I'm guessing there are more than we know in most sports- for the money they make, I'm sure a lot of guys pretend to love it. Rendon is different because he doesn't bother to pretend

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #479: July 11, 2020, 01:12:26 PM »
I recall Hiroki Kuroda being said to hate baseball. Not quite the same, but Dan Haren mentioned that he kept playing well after he knew he was done because teams were still willing to pay him to suck. So he kept at it even though he couldn’t perform well anymore and was miserable after every crappy start because the checks kept coming. I actually respect the guys who are just in it for the money; I call it the Bill Goldberg Method.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #480: July 11, 2020, 02:34:24 PM »
I honestly think Rendon is not in it just to be paid.  I'm not saying that he's not looking to get the best lifestyle he could when he signed with Anaheim, but I think the guy just has fun playing the game.  The grin is from liking the game.  He just doesn't get freaked out about a loss or a K or an E all that often (he does give a look on a bad strike call).  He thinks if fans are there for a good time, they should be loud, but he would never be a fan.  He likes hanging out with guys and playing the game, but just isn't into styling and the show aspects of the show (very much the anti-Bryce, who loved being seen as a star and the things that go with it, like interviews, curtain calls, and signing autographs).

Offline Slateman

« Reply #481: July 22, 2020, 08:40:15 PM »

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #482: July 22, 2020, 10:03:14 PM »
I honestly think Rendon is not in it just to be paid.  I'm not saying that he's not looking to get the best lifestyle he could when he signed with Anaheim, but I think the guy just has fun playing the game.  The grin is from liking the game.  He just doesn't get freaked out about a loss or a K or an E all that often (he does give a look on a bad strike call).  He thinks if fans are there for a good time, they should be loud, but he would never be a fan.  He likes hanging out with guys and playing the game, but just isn't into styling and the show aspects of the show (very much the anti-Bryce, who loved being seen as a star and the things that go with it, like interviews, curtain calls, and signing autographs).

That's sounds about right, JCA, although I try not to overthink Anthony Rendon.  He's what we old timers call a "free spirit". 

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #483: October 01, 2020, 04:38:55 PM »
The playoff run started one year ago

Offline Slateman

« Reply #484: October 10, 2020, 05:08:46 PM »

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #485: October 13, 2020, 08:53:53 AM »
I don't know about you, but every morning the first thing I do is check my Facebook memories to see what I was doing on this day 3 years ago, 5 years ago, 10 years ago, etc.

The last few days I'm seeing a lot of posts about Nationals tragedies from NLDSes past. On this day a few years ago I was very upset about a backup catcher allowing himself to get picked off.

The 2019 memories should be coming up in a few days, thankfully.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #486: October 15, 2020, 08:41:18 PM »
One year ago today we won the pennant

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #487: October 15, 2020, 09:28:02 PM »
One year ago today we won the pennant

Atmosphere was great, absolutely pedal to the metal from the beginning. In addition to the fantastic offensive start and chasing the starter so quickly, Corbin was even nearing a strikeout mark at one point.

And then of course, things went in a very similar trajectory to the game five against the Cardinals from long ago, as the latter clawed back and actually put the go ahead run at the plate. This time, they dealt with Carpenter, Dozier handled a bobble and got out of the bases-loaded inning, and the rest is history. Glad it happened at home.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #488: October 24, 2020, 09:41:09 AM »

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #489: October 24, 2020, 12:00:37 PM »

I didn't expect to react as much as I did when I saw this again.  Just seeing a huge crowd, and the complete happiness . . .

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #490: October 24, 2020, 10:50:12 PM »
It's so great that last year was our year and not this year.   The only thing I'd change would be a home win in the world series, especially the one I went to!

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #491: October 25, 2020, 12:52:36 AM »
It's so great that last year was our year and not this year.   The only thing I'd change would be a home win in the world series, especially the one I went to!

Yep, though getting the first playoff “series“ win in the wildcard round, Zim doing his homerun thing against the Dodgers, and clinching the pennant there with a sweep, were outstanding

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #492: October 26, 2020, 08:53:13 AM »
A year ago today I was joking on Facebook about how I was glad that I didn't pay $1400 to attend one of the World Series games in DC. Three home games, three stinkers.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #493: October 26, 2020, 09:33:14 AM »
A year ago today I was joking on Facebook about how I was glad that I didn't pay $1400 to attend one of the World Series games in DC. Three home games, three stinkers.

Managed to get in through a plan so as to not get excessively gouged, but still outstanding to be there.

Game three was frustrating, because that could’ve made either of the next two games at home a closeout game. Grienke hadn’t been looking like a world beater either leading up to it.

Game four was very frustrating because of the inability to break through in an Astros bullpen game, especially with their rookie opener. Some of the umping was quite something as well if I recall correctly. (I don’t remember if it was this game or the next where we had someone new posting about Astros stealing signs and / or knowing what’s coming. Thanks to the joke of a process the commissioner led (sic), we still don’t know if they had somebody parked in centerfield, and we certainly have no indication that they had stopped anything. What may have been a legitimate turnaround is likely to always be clouded because of that.)

Knowing before that Max was out in game five changed the expectations for it to enjoying the weather (Unseasonably warm) and seeing what happens. Not that the umping issues were automatically going to turn the tide in Ross vs. Cole, but extended Astros at bats potentially related to that appeared to lead to at least one big inning, and I believe the chart to the left shows what Robles faced on a particular at bat.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #494: October 26, 2020, 10:40:14 AM »
I was awed at the pregame of Game 5 by the ovation Joe Ross got going out  to the bullpen.  One of the great moments of fandom at any game I've been to. 

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #495: October 26, 2020, 01:07:38 PM »
You didn't get to see Ted Cruz dressed up as a Braniff dirigible

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #496: October 26, 2020, 03:31:25 PM »
My big regret was not pulling the trigger and flying down to Houston for Game 7. I could have used the proceeds from selling my other tickets. So dumb.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #497: October 27, 2020, 06:41:09 AM »
My big regret was not pulling the trigger and flying down to Houston for Game 7. I could have used the proceeds from selling my other tickets. So dumb.
I think about that sometimes, but no regrets.  I will never forget watching with my son, a slow death of a game as Grienke was mowing us down, and we were both resigned to how this one was going to go.......and then the way we both reacted when we heard that clank of the foul pole from Kendrick's innocent-enough looking drive.......I will never forget it.  We both just looked at each other like, Holy Sh*t, we are going to win this thing.  Corbin was spectacular for the 3 innings, we tacked on, and the Astros basically quit and went down without a fight.  No stress World Series final 3 outs.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #498: October 27, 2020, 11:29:48 PM »
Memories of Game 168 in a packed house return to mind:

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #499: October 27, 2020, 11:41:49 PM »
We can no longer defend it but need to find a way to get it back.