Author Topic: WE DID IT  (Read 28030 times)

Offline Dave in Fairfax

Re: WE DID IT
« Reply #100: October 31, 2019, 09:37:32 PM »
When the season started out as bad as it did, there were some people, including on this forum, that said this was what the team was, and our division wins in previous seasons were only because of how weak the rest of the NL East was. Now that the Braves, Mets and Phillies were contending teams again, so it was said, it was shown that the Nats were the emperor who had no clothes.

This season certainly demonstrated that there was greater parity in the NL, especially in the non-Marlins East, and thus a tougher row to hoe. Even the Pirates, who ended up with the 2nd worst record, were one game below .500 at the All-Star Break. And the Padres were at .500 at the All-Star Break. And how many NL teams were still in the Wild Card hunt in September, when the AL was practically wrapped up? So, as others have said, perhaps one of the biggest differences this year was that the Nats had to work for it that much harder, with no rest in September.

That makes me wonder about these 100+ win teams. There is no doubt the Astros, Dodgers and Yankees were objectively good teams, with strong line-ups and good pitching (more starting for the Astros and Dodgers and relief for the Yankees). And the Twins for that matter. But were they objectively that much better than the 93-win Nats, or did they benefit also from their schedules? In other words, the Astros and Nats were a lot closer matched than 107 wins vs. 93 wins would seem to indicate.

Of course, playoff baseball being what it is, the Brewers were only one bad inning from beating the Nats and advancing, and the Braves were one disastrous inning from possibly beating the Cardinals, making for a completely different postseason.

This is why I like baseball. Getting to where the Nats are was the outcome of a season where dozens of teams playing hundreds of games, batters stepping into the box thousands of times and pitchers throwing tens of thousands of pitches. Over the course of the season there are so many numbers to crunch and you can pick out so many moments to say "what if" (what if Grisham handles the ball and it's at best a tie on Soto's hit?), but in the end, there can be only one. And it is some other team's fans spending the off-season doing their version of "what if Drew Storen did this" or "what if Dusty Baker did that" or "what if the umpires made the right call on that", etc. And we get to go watch a parade.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #101: October 31, 2019, 09:42:49 PM »
Coladar?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #102: October 31, 2019, 09:55:55 PM »
Howie Kendrick is now the Pete Kozma of two franchises. Patrick Corbin is now the Clayton Kershaw coming out of the bullpen to two teams.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #103: October 31, 2019, 10:01:24 PM »
Does JCA still frequent the boards?! I haven't seen his name in this thread! Same for Sportsfan... he's been gone longer than I habe!

I can't believe it! For all the crap we put up with all those years ago... it finally paid off!!!!!

:minigunz:

This place would've descended into lawless anarchy years ago without JCA and tomterp, he's still here on the daily (not sure where he's been tonight though - he did post a bit in the 7th and 8th)
I was posting about once or twice every inning, posted a :w: after the bottom of the 9th then shut off my phone. I am working my way through the thread from about page 65 or so so i don't miss a post after I shut things down. 

It has been said before, but it's great to see the return of so many names that made this place fun when I joined in '09. Boards aren't as big as they were 10 years ago, but this place still has the occasional good discussion.  Tends to run a bit negative, because up to tonight, there's been a lot of burns.  This year's been great just watching the turn around building to tonight. Having a team like this one makes following the Nats addictive.  Speaking of that, any NatsAddict sightings?

Offline madj55

« Reply #104: October 31, 2019, 10:40:15 PM »
It’s the Nats Year. Still can’t believe it.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #105: November 01, 2019, 09:24:59 AM »
It’s the Nats Year. Still can’t believe it.
and Conor Clifton is a regular in the NHL! 

Offline miller10

« Reply #106: November 01, 2019, 10:08:15 AM »
Anyone know if they will release the nats radio broadcast of game 7?  Would love to listen to the last 3 innings.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #107: November 01, 2019, 10:13:05 AM »
Anyone know if they will release the nats radio broadcast of game 7?  Would love to listen to the last 3 innings.
The whole series is available on mlb.tv if you are some kind of subscriber.   They have the full tv coverage and radio coverage.  Unfortunately, you can only overlay the home radio coverage on each game, but the full away radio coverage is available.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #108: November 01, 2019, 10:35:20 AM »
  Speaking of that, any NatsAddict sightings?

Great poster. One of the guys I wish had returned for a drive by.

Offline miller10

« Reply #109: November 01, 2019, 11:31:18 AM »
The whole series is available on mlb.tv if you are some kind of subscriber.   They have the full tv coverage and radio coverage.  Unfortunately, you can only overlay the home radio coverage on each game, but the full away radio coverage is available.

Thangs, need to see if I can find out how to RIP it to an mp3.

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
« Reply #110: November 01, 2019, 11:34:48 AM »
We beat the best two records in baseball
Plus we did it via the Wild Card play in.

Offline miller10

« Reply #111: November 01, 2019, 11:35:29 AM »
They posted a 15 minute radio feed montage of the playoff run that you can download:https://thefandc.radio.com/listen-nationals-2019-postseason-montage

Offline vernon337

« Reply #112: November 01, 2019, 12:18:13 PM »
They posted a 15 minute radio feed montage of the playoff run that you can download:https://thefandc.radio.com/listen-nationals-2019-postseason-montage

Thanks -- listening to it now. I was really hoping they would do this.  I will say, it would be even better if they added some context to it by setting up each of the calls -- obviously some don't need it, but some do (at least for me they do).

EDIT: It was a great listen.  Imagine I'll do that a few more times in the coming months.

Offline vernon337

« Reply #113: November 01, 2019, 12:37:55 PM »
I continue to think about how impressive the Nationals' season has been.

Not only was it the first time any team had to beat two different teams with 106+ wins in the regular season, there are very few instances when a World Series champion has even beaten one such team.  The most recent one I could find was in 1969 -- the Miracle Mets over the Orioles, who had won 109 games in the regular season. 

Just one more example of how great this accomplishment is.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #114: November 01, 2019, 12:47:24 PM »
See front page of baseball reference.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/

Offline imref

« Reply #115: November 01, 2019, 02:13:36 PM »

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #116: November 01, 2019, 02:16:10 PM »
To be fair, this should have a picture of Bruce and Danny whispering on the sidelines instead of a pic of players.

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #117: November 01, 2019, 02:19:19 PM »
Just FYI that image isn't going to show up here for anyone that's not logged into Facebook.  Recommend re-hosting.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #118: November 01, 2019, 02:21:32 PM »
Just FYI that image isn't going to show up here for anyone that's not logged into Facebook.  Recommend re-hosting.

Offline imref

« Reply #119: November 01, 2019, 02:23:36 PM »
Thanks Blue

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #120: November 01, 2019, 02:51:04 PM »
Worth watching to 4AM to see - still time to sleep until 7AM (work beckons...actually, any other week and it would have been 5AM*,so...). Still can't quite believe that I can say 'I'm a National's fan - you know, WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!!!'.

I missed the Beeb's radio coverage - sadly, there was nothing on TV, and it was buried at the very bottom of the UK version of the BBC Sport website...Still, whilst some recognition for the Club and the sport would have been good, do I really care?..

(* this is the one week of the year when the UK / US ET difference is only four hours, as we've already put our clocks back for Winter)

Offline rugbyflanker

• OllllllO
« Reply #121: November 01, 2019, 03:14:57 PM »
So who all gets a ring?  Is anyone who played in a game this year eligible for one?  What about guys like Jake Noll or Jeremy Hellickson, who were on the opening day roster (and even Sipp and Rosenthal, and Barraclough) and helped contribute to the regular season but were not around for the playoffs.  Carter Kieboom who was up for a bit.  How does that usually work?  Inquiring minds wanna know...

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #122: November 01, 2019, 03:29:30 PM »
So who all gets a ring?  Is anyone who played in a game this year eligible for one?  What about guys like Jake Noll or Jeremy Hellickson, who were on the opening day roster (and even Sipp and Rosenthal, and Barraclough) and helped contribute to the regular season but were not around for the playoffs.  Carter Kieboom who was up for a bit.  How does that usually work?  Inquiring minds wanna know...

I think anyone who played for the Nats during the regular season gets a ring, right?

Online blue911

« Reply #123: November 01, 2019, 03:33:37 PM »
I think anyone who played for the Nats during the regular season gets a ring, right?

It’s the owner’s decision. So Mark and Ted will share the ring. LAC

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #124: November 01, 2019, 04:18:24 PM »
I’ll be interested to see who the players vote World Series shares to...