Author Topic: WE DID IT  (Read 28666 times)

Offline rileyn

Re: WE DID IT
« Reply #50: October 31, 2019, 06:32:34 AM »
From Khalil Green in 2005, to Kozma in 2012, and all of the misfit centerfielders in-between.  That Natinals are the World Series champions.  Glorious.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #51: October 31, 2019, 06:58:14 AM »
Stopped at the gas station nearest to home on the way to the Metro this morning. The Post was already in short supply (and I got three). The woman ahead of me stared at it like she was unaware.

My dad died earlier this year (two days after Expos Day). He wasn’t a big baseball fan, but how I wish he were here to see this.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #52: October 31, 2019, 07:49:34 AM »
Charley Slowes call:

https://thefandc.radio.com/listen-nationals-world-series-game-7-winning-radio-call

Still can’t believe this happened.

Offline stealyerbase

• YUMMY! Good for you too!
« Reply #53: October 31, 2019, 08:35:48 AM »
The old theme song, pre Baby Shark;

Might have to get a new Joe Hardy jersey.....

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #54: October 31, 2019, 08:35:53 AM »
Charley Slowes call:

https://thefandc.radio.com/listen-nationals-world-series-game-7-winning-radio-call

Still can’t believe this happened.

Thanks for that. Too long to use the whole thing as a ringtone, but I can truncate it.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #55: October 31, 2019, 08:56:01 AM »

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #56: October 31, 2019, 09:04:12 AM »
Stopped at the gas station nearest to home on the way to the Metro this morning. The Post was already in short supply (and I got three). The woman ahead of me stared at it like she was unaware.

My dad died earlier this year (two days after Expos Day). He wasn’t a big baseball fan, but how I wish he were here to see this.

I walked over to Giant about 0730 and picked up my hard copies of the POST   ....   and some Lotto tickets.    Your dad would have loved it.      Sorry for your loss.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #57: October 31, 2019, 09:10:13 AM »
Thanks for that. Too long to use the whole thing as a ringtone, but I can truncate it.

please share when if you can.

Offline SharkNats

« Reply #58: October 31, 2019, 09:13:45 AM »
In the end it was all so easy . . . The DC fairy tale rolled through the Mighty Dodgers and Astros and gone and done it.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #59: October 31, 2019, 09:14:08 AM »
please share when if you can.

Sure. Won’t be until at least tomorrow afternoon.

Edited to add: It'll be an iPhone ringtone because that’s what I have.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #60: October 31, 2019, 09:18:46 AM »

Sorry for your loss. I stopped at a 7-Eleven to pick up a paper this morning (like most people, I haven't bought a newspaper in at least 10 years) and some guy in front of me grabbed the entire stack. Got a couple of copies at Safeway.

Offline wj73

« Reply #61: October 31, 2019, 09:45:33 AM »
I am so stupidly happy this morning!!  It wasn’t a dream. We really did it!!!

Offline Optics

« Reply #62: October 31, 2019, 09:46:36 AM »
I was a regular on this board until this year. The slow start and the negativity that came with it just drove me away.

Glad I'm able to return now and celebrate this championship with y'all.

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #63: October 31, 2019, 10:12:44 AM »
To all my friends and acquaintances here on the WNFF:

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE NATIONALS WINNING THE WORLD SERIES!!

Savor this for all time. When baseball means as much to me as I am sure it does to so many of you, well, winning it all is the greatest feeling ever!

I don't hang around here much anymore. I apologize for that. For those who remember me from the "old days," you know I am a dyed-in-the-wool White Sox fan. But I've always been intrigued with the Nationals -- their concept, their history, what they represent. DC Baseball fans have a very difficult legacy. I identify with it, because in some ways its very similar to my chosen team's legacy -- a history of futility, frustration and obscuration. Being the ugly stepsister. The red-headed step-child. I am old enough to have watched as DC baseball fans were jilted by divorce not once, but twice. Having the Expos relocate to DC was a little like getting the last kid to be chosen in a pick-up game on the playground. I don't think the baseball establishment ever took the Nationals very seriously.

That is, until now. The ugly step sister is now the prom queen. God, I love it! I am usually inclined to cheer for the American League in the world series as a matter of principle (lodge brothers to the White Sox, you see), but I couldn't help but cheer for your motley crew, who came on like the Braves of 1914 or the Mets of 1969. Everyone predicted their demise in the post season -- not enough starting pitching, no bullpen, automatic outs in the batting order etc. But everything came together in a beautiful way to knock off the haughty Dodgers and Cardinals and then tame the "sure fire winners" from Houston. Even I predicted at the outset of the baseball season that "I don't see anyone beating the Astros." Ha! I was wrong!

I am so happy for all of you! Celebrate to the fullest! Congratulations!

I also would be remiss if I didn't celebrate the White Sox roots that helped your team win -- Dave Martinez, Adam Eaton, and Daniel Hudson.

There is a cosmic connection between the White Sox and Nationals as the only two teams to beat the Astros in the World Series (although we did accomplish the feat in only 4 games). On October 26, 2005, the Astros lost the decisive World Series game in Houston with the winning run scored by Willie Harris (who eventually played for the Nats). On October 30, 2019, the Astros lost the decisive World Series game in Houston, winning run given up by Will Harris. Coincidence? I think not!!!!

And I still have the newspapers (Chicago Tribune and Chicago Sun Times) from the morning of October 27, 2005!

God bless you all and savor this moment for all time!

Sincerely,

John (soxfan59)

P.S. My favorite funny from twitter last night: "Tried to call Bryce Harper's cell, but he can't answer because NO RING!" :hysterical:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #64: October 31, 2019, 10:37:00 AM »
Sorry for your loss. I stopped at a 7-Eleven to pick up a paper this morning (like most people, I haven't bought a newspaper in at least 10 years) and some guy in front of me grabbed the entire stack. Got a couple of copies at Safeway.
I think you can order them from the Wapo website at washingtonpost.com/backcopy.  I did not move quick enough. They are all gone around Fed Triangle metro, unless there's copies at a news stand or starbucks at the old post office hotel.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #65: October 31, 2019, 10:41:16 AM »
To all my friends and acquaintances here on the WNFF:

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE NATIONALS WINNING THE WORLD SERIES!!

Savor this for all time. When baseball means as much to me as I am sure it does to so many of you, well, winning it all is the greatest feeling ever!

I don't hang around here much anymore. I apologize for that. For those who remember me from the "old days," you know I am a dyed-in-the-wool White Sox fan. But I've always been intrigued with the Nationals -- their concept, their history, what they represent. DC Baseball fans have a very difficult legacy. I identify with it, because in some ways its very similar to my chosen team's legacy -- a history of futility, frustration and obscuration. Being the ugly stepsister. The red-headed step-child. I am old enough to have watched as DC baseball fans were jilted by divorce not once, but twice. Having the Expos relocate to DC was a little like getting the last kid to be chosen in a pick-up game on the playground. I don't think the baseball establishment ever took the Nationals very seriously.

That is, until now. The ugly step sister is now the prom queen. God, I love it! I am usually inclined to cheer for the American League in the world series as a matter of principle (lodge brothers to the White Sox, you see), but I couldn't help but cheer for your motley crew, who came on like the Braves of 1914 or the Mets of 1969. Everyone predicted their demise in the post season -- not enough starting pitching, no bullpen, automatic outs in the batting order etc. But everything came together in a beautiful way to knock off the haughty Dodgers and Cardinals and then tame the "sure fire winners" from Houston. Even I predicted at the outset of the baseball season that "I don't see anyone beating the Astros." Ha! I was wrong!

I am so happy for all of you! Celebrate to the fullest! Congratulations!

I also would be remiss if I didn't celebrate the White Sox roots that helped your team win -- Dave Martinez, Adam Eaton, and Daniel Hudson.

There is a cosmic connection between the White Sox and Nationals as the only two teams to beat the Astros in the World Series (although we did accomplish the feat in only 4 games). On October 26, 2005, the Astros lost the decisive World Series game in Houston with the winning run scored by Willie Harris (who eventually played for the Nats). On October 30, 2019, the Astros lost the decisive World Series game in Houston, winning run given up by Will Harris. Coincidence? I think not!!!!

And I still have the newspapers (Chicago Tribune and Chicago Sun Times) from the morning of October 27, 2005!

God bless you all and savor this moment for all time!

Sincerely,

John (soxfan59)

P.S. My favorite funny from twitter last night: "Tried to call Bryce Harper's cell, but he can't answer because NO RING!" :hysterical:
so awesome to see you.  You are exhibit A of why The Chief doesn't automatically reject fans of other teams (like Dodgerblue above). You always chime in with thoughtful posts.  Please be sure to kick the tires here once in a while so we know things are well.

Offline hohoho

« Reply #66: October 31, 2019, 10:45:16 AM »
Only the 1914 "Miracle" Boston Braves came back from a worse record to win the WS.
Remarkable.

Offline hohoho

« Reply #67: October 31, 2019, 10:46:55 AM »
I was a regular on this board until this year. The slow start and the negativity that came with it just drove me away.

Glad I'm able to return now and celebrate this championship with y'all.
Not negativity, just fans venting in the heat of the moment (mostly).

Offline vicki4471

« Reply #68: October 31, 2019, 11:31:15 AM »
Those of you that read my fandom story know about my friend Big Mike who posted here who passed away before he could see this moment. All I can think about is how excited he would have been today. I ordered a shirt and am having it shipped to his sister. Shes putting it in a box and taking it to the graveyard. I want him to be included in the celebration. I would not have made it here without him.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #69: October 31, 2019, 11:44:45 AM »
Those of you that read my fandom story know about my friend Big Mike who posted here who passed away before he could see this moment. All I can think about is how excited he would have been today. I ordered a shirt and am having it shipped to his sister. Shes putting it in a box and taking it to the graveyard. I want him to be included in the celebration. I would not have made it here without him.
:clap:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #70: October 31, 2019, 11:46:27 AM »
Not negativity, just fans venting in the heat of the moment (mostly).
It's negativity.  It was especially bad this last week with some newbies joining the other sky is falling crowd.  We all get frustrated but does it make sense to say a team doesn't care or just wants the loser share once they have reached the World Series? 

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #71: October 31, 2019, 11:50:26 AM »
It's negativity.  It was especially bad this last week with some newbies joining the other sky is falling crowd.  We all get frustrated but does it make sense to say a team doesn't care or just wants the loser share once they have reached the World Series?

There's pessimism, and there's what some polluted this board with.  It's fine, they know who they are and the reward is so much sweeter when you never got off the bandwagon. 

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #72: October 31, 2019, 11:56:22 AM »
:clap:

I have a number of people in mind who didn't live to see this.  Let's enjoy it that much more in their honor.   

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #73: October 31, 2019, 11:59:07 AM »
I have a number of people in mind who didn't live to see this.  Let's enjoy it that much more in their honor.   

Hear hear!  :cheers:

There's pessimism, and there's what some polluted this board with.  It's fine, they know who they are and the reward is so much sweeter when you never got off the bandwagon. 

Yep.  It's honestly pretty easy to pick out the really bad ones and just hit the ignore button.  A lot of people are prone to venting at times but that's not nearly the same and is (in my opinion) forgivable.

That said, no one should spend time on something that makes them feel bad, so I'm not judging anyone's decision to step away when they needed to.

Offline hohoho

« Reply #74: October 31, 2019, 11:59:54 AM »
True, especially when they get profanely personal or wish violence on anyone. But it is no worse than most other fan message boards.