Author Topic: Hot Stove: 2019-2020 Offseason  (Read 83906 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: Hot Stove: 2019-2020 Offseason
« Reply #400: November 08, 2019, 09:45:01 AM »
Did not say that, but ok. I was saying he is going to be living probably where he signs next. Thats all because his kid will be near school age kinda like what Stras just did this season.
If he's serious about not wanting to still be playing when he's 36, that means his contract will be in the 5 year range, which will be right about the time his kid is starting school, which will make that a moot point because at that point he can live wherever he wants.

Offline vicki4471

« Reply #401: November 08, 2019, 11:26:41 AM »
Do baseball kids actually go to school or is it more home schooling and private tutors? Just wondering because a lot of the baseball wives travel along on a lot of the road trips so that does not really provide school year stability either. I just remember reading a few baseball wife articles and those particular wives opted for homeschool and tutors. Wasn't Drake Laroche that way?

And is Bryce actually living in Philly full time or did he head back to Vegas?

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #402: November 08, 2019, 11:29:57 AM »
Do baseball kids actually go to school or is it more home schooling and private tutors? Just wondering because a lot of the baseball wives travel along on a lot of the road trips so that does not really provide school year stability either. I just remember reading a few baseball wife articles and those particular wives opted for homeschool and tutors. Wasn't Drake Laroche that way?

They go to school. Players can afford nannies and babysitters.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #403: November 08, 2019, 11:48:52 AM »

a lot probably depends on where you are in your career- a guy signing a 7 year deal with a no trade clause may be more inclined to move his family that a spring training invite who managed to make the active roster who may just rent an apartment leave their family at their real home.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
« Reply #405: November 08, 2019, 12:07:20 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/11/08/anthony-rendon-stephen-strasburg-are-top-nationals-have-long-shopping-list/

TL;DR - Lots of needs.

Just bring back Zimm/Stras/Rendon/Kendrick/Hudson. The rest I thank them greatly but they can kick rocks.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #406: November 08, 2019, 12:13:07 PM »
a lot probably depends on where you are in your career- a guy signing a 7 year deal with a no trade clause may be more inclined to move his family that a spring training invite who managed to make the active roster who may just rent an apartment leave their family at their real home.
This. That was more of what i was adding. Some home school but most if they have long term deals move their family there. Like stras girl just turned 6, I think that was the motivating factor in selling the San Diego home. It just indicates that last year he thought he was finishing out the last 4 years here. This topic orginally came from an answer that i made about Rendon packing up his home already according to reports. Slate kinda took in another direction about school quality.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #407: November 08, 2019, 12:35:02 PM »
You guys are really desperate if you think a ball player worries about which school his kids will go to during nine figure contract negotiations. :crackup:

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #408: November 08, 2019, 12:38:03 PM »
You guys are really desperate if you think a ball player worries about which school his kids will go to during nine figure contract negotiations. :crackup:

At the NYY part of the FA presentation for big players was an entire breakdown of schools in the area, neighborhoods to live in, things for families, etc.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #409: November 08, 2019, 12:47:26 PM »
At the NYY part of the FA presentation for big players was an entire breakdown of schools in the area, neighborhoods to live in, things for families, etc.

Free agents have been hitting every city for at least 6 years and they know what’s what already and they’re not dependent on some presentation of neighborhoods and schools to settle which contract they’ll accept. Nowadays these guys aren’t getting a lot of offers anyway.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #410: November 08, 2019, 01:10:29 PM »
Free agents have been hitting every city for at least 6 years and they know what’s what already and they’re not dependent on some presentation of neighborhoods and schools to settle which contract they’ll accept. Nowadays these guys aren’t getting a lot of offers anyway.

I think it may change player to player. I think some of them (Harper, Machado) put the highest priority on having the biggest AAV in history, or total contract value, or whatever. I think others look at it and think the difference between 180 million and 210 million isn't so big that they should totally ignore their family's needs, wants, comfort, and how they'll grow.

I think both Rendon and Strasburg are in that latter group, which is why I fully expect Rendon to sign with the Rangers and Strasburg to sign again with the Nats.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #411: November 08, 2019, 01:12:37 PM »

I'll definitely take your word over players literally telling me that the stuff like schools and quality of life in certain cities for their families played a factor. I'm not saying it was a deciding factor, but I know a lot of players (and especially their wives) who have families do care and don't know about what is available to them. Often times teams include things like child care for players' families and kids. This kind of stuff doesn't come into play for 1 or 2 year deals, we're talking the 5-7 year contracts. No idea if this will matter to Rendon or Strasburg (likely not a considerable amount) but players have no clue about a lot of cities. Just because they play there in 3-day stretches doesn't mean they know how the schools are or where they could live. CC for example said the NYY did a presentation on a neighborhood in NJ where a lot of athletes live and what schools his kids could go to, what the housing is like, etc. He said he knew nothing about the suburbs so it helped his wife get on board with moving across the country to NY.

I would bet Bryce and his wife got a big breakdown on Philadelphia living for families from the Phillies. Players and their families don't think about living in other cities until it's a reality.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #412: November 08, 2019, 01:47:09 PM »
I would bet Bryce and his wife got a big breakdown on Philadelphia living for families from the Phillies. Players and their families don't think about living in other cities until it's a reality.

Did Harper get any offers aside from the Nats and Phillies? I think it was all about the money for him. Corbin from what I recall got a better offer from the yanks but went with us instead. (Mindfact :) ) His situation I’m sure was a husband and wife decision with things like quality of life and taxes coming into play. I don’t know if he has kids to factor in but there are quality neighborhoods and schools in every market and the players talk amongst themselves and share that info.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #413: November 08, 2019, 01:49:21 PM »
Did Harper get any offers aside from the Nats and Phillies? I think it was all about the money for him. Corbin from what I recall got a better offer from the yanks but went with us instead. (Mindfact :) ) His situation I’m sure was a husband and wife decision with things like quality of life and taxes coming into play. I don’t know if he has kids to factor in but there are quality neighborhoods and schools in every market and the players talk amongst themselves and share that info.
SF and LA also pursued Harper.  Apparently shorter term deals.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #414: November 08, 2019, 01:52:48 PM »
SF and LA also pursued Harper.  Apparently shorter term deals.

And we all know he was all about setting a contract record.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #415: November 08, 2019, 01:58:34 PM »
And we all know he was all about setting a contract record.

not in terms of AAV, but he wanted one contract that would cover the rest of his playing days.

Offline vicki4471

« Reply #416: November 08, 2019, 01:58:53 PM »

Corbin turned down the Yankees and the Phillies to play for us. And got a ring as his reward.

https://www.nj.com/sports/2019/10/patrick-corbin-could-have-been-pitching-for-the-yankees-hes-in-the-playoffs-anyway.html

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #417: November 08, 2019, 01:59:03 PM »
Just bring back Zimm/Stras/Rendon/Kendrick/Hudson. The rest I thank them greatly but they can kick rocks.
On that list, my Nancy Reagan line ("Just Say No") is:

>$5MM - Zimm.  Dude is getting the $2MM buyout and the club still owes him $10MM for personal services after he retires.   Anything more is  extortion.
Stras > 6 years, >$32 AAV I would be ok with him exceeding Scherzer's AAV or the highest non-Greinke AAV.
Rendon > $35MM AAV.  Would not want to go longer than 7 years.  Should take it as a given that his AAV will be > Arenando's $32.5MM.
Kendrick >$8MM AAV, >2 years with option for 3d.  I don't expect the Nats to go this high.
Hudson >$7MM AAV, > 2years I think you could get him for 2 years, $10MM.

Offline vicki4471

« Reply #418: November 08, 2019, 02:01:49 PM »
I cant believe its been less than a week since the parade. When is the earliest you remember contract news coming in? Somebody sign somewhere Please...

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #419: November 08, 2019, 02:02:46 PM »
On that list, my Nancy Reagan line ("Just Say No") is:

>$5MM - Zimm.  Dude is getting the $2MM buyout and the club still owes him $10MM for personal services after he retires.   Anything more is  extortion.
Stras > 6 years, >$32 AAV I would be ok with him exceeding Scherzer's AAV or the highest non-Greinke AAV.
Rendon > $35MM AAV.  Would not want to go longer than 7 years.  Should take it as a given that his AAV will be > Arenando's $32.5MM.
Kendrick >$8MM AAV, >2 years with option for 3d.  I don't expect the Nats to go this high.
Hudson >$7MM AAV, > 2years I think you could get him for 2 years, $10MM.

we have about $83 million in cap space according to Cots.   Adding up what you have I get $87 million.  And we still need a back-up catcher, 2B, and probably another bullpen arm.

IMHO, Rendon is the priority.  I'm not going to complain if we re-sign Strasburg, but letting him go might make the most baseball-sense to enable us to fill in some other holes.  I don't think we bring back Kendrick.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #420: November 08, 2019, 02:11:08 PM »
we have about $83 million in cap space according to Cots.   Adding up what you have I get $87 million.  And we still need a back-up catcher, 2B, and probably another bullpen arm.

IMHO, Rendon is the priority.  I'm not going to complain if we re-sign Strasburg, but letting him go might make the most baseball-sense to enable us to fill in some other holes.  I don't think we bring back Kendrick.
thought it was closer to $108MM the last time I looked.  I would not give them all max contracts.  I see now they added in arb estimates.  I would not be shocked if none of Taylor, Strickland, Elias, Difo, Glover or Barrett are given arb.  They settle for less or are released.  That's about $11MM. Figure collectively what they keep there is no more than $5MM.  Taylor will be offered $2.5MM, Glover and Barrrett minor league contracts with invites, Difo perhaps as well.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
« Reply #421: November 08, 2019, 02:11:48 PM »

Kendrick can platoon with Ryan imo for 1B. Howie said this city and team restored his love for baseball so I could easily see him staying. He will end his legacy as a great player in the city that finally gave him a championship. I hope we find a way to bring back the key guys.

I honestly see a lot of the hispanic players leaving (Dozier/Cabrera/Parra/Gomes). Hired mercenaries that got us over the hump. If Parra goes does that mean Baby Shark dies in 2019?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #422: November 08, 2019, 02:14:44 PM »
If Parra goes does that mean Baby Shark dies in 2019?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=12&v=6RFH9_M0OaY&feature=emb_logo

Alvy Singer had something to say about this in Annie Hall.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #423: November 08, 2019, 02:20:31 PM »
Kendrick can platoon with Ryan imo for 1B. Howie said this city and team restored his love for baseball so I could easily see him staying. He will end his legacy as a great player in the city that finally gave him a championship. I hope we find a way to bring back the key guys.

I honestly see a lot of the hispanic players leaving (Dozier/Cabrera/Parra/Gomes). Hired mercenaries that got us over the hump. If Parra goes does that mean Baby Shark dies in 2019?

I think that should be the plan.  Howie/Ryan together would still be making far less than they combined to make last year with Zim's paycut.  Who cares if they're both RH?  Howie especially can hit against righties just fine.  I'd rather have Howie than another Matt Adams lefty. 

Offline expos1994

« Reply #424: November 08, 2019, 02:20:46 PM »
If Parra goes does that mean Baby Shark dies in 2019?

Hopefully lol. That song is awful. It had its time and place. If he sticks around I'm fine with him keeping the music as his walk up. But if he goes... then the song needs to go too.