Author Topic: Hot Stove: 2019-2020 Offseason  (Read 82311 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Hot Stove: 2019-2020 Offseason
« Reply #200: November 04, 2019, 12:22:05 PM »
The media were creaming themselves about Cole in FA. I am pretty sure someone on the tube (can't remember if it was Fox or MLB Network) was suggesting $40MM AAV was not totally out of the question.

There seemed to be a collective "gurk!" finger pulling collar moment when he pulled that stunt with the cap, though.

Nonetheless, I think it's going to be $35MM AAV for Cole. I can see someone desperate going to 10 years as well.

Ninja - I think Slate and I are on the same page here.
Yep. I think the Angels might be that team desperate enough to go 10 years or 40 MM AAV. Their window is now. Trout is in his prime. They have some pitching depth in Canning and Heaney. They have a closer. Simmons only has a year or two left. Adell is probably ready within the next two years. The Angels basically have that to try and build a playoff contender and Cole is the only real chance they're going to have to get a TOR in the next three years without trading for it.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #201: November 04, 2019, 01:45:37 PM »
For fun, everyone should read this adoration for Gerrit Cole, go look at his Fangraphs, be very impressed, then look at Max Scherzer.

Max Scherzer is cruising toward a first ballot induction into the Hall of Fame. Criminally underpaid.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #202: November 04, 2019, 01:48:02 PM »
Max Scherzer is cruising toward a first ballot induction into the Hall of Fame. Criminally underpaid.

If only the team were more loyal to him! :smh: :stir:

Offline awbb

« Reply #203: November 04, 2019, 01:51:29 PM »
If only the team were more loyal to him! :smh: :stir:

Diamondbacks and Tigers anti-loyal check in.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #204: November 04, 2019, 01:51:35 PM »
For fun, everyone should read this adoration for Gerrit Cole, go look at his Fangraphs, be very impressed, then look at Max Scherzer.

Cole is basically where Scherzer was before he signed with DC.

Offline vicki4471

« Reply #205: November 04, 2019, 01:54:34 PM »
I may be the only one but I do not want Cole anywhere near the Nats. if this 2019 team proved anything its that talent can get you so far but team chemistry takes it the rest of the way. The Nats rid themselves of various clubhouse cancers and won the world series. The guys kept repeating over and over that character was as important as anything else in building a successful team. What Cole did after the loss says a lot about his character. If the Astros has won the World Series I doubt he would have put on his Scott Boras Cap and said " No champagne for me please I do not work here any more"

Offline awbb

« Reply #206: November 04, 2019, 01:56:22 PM »
I may be the only one but I do not want Cole anywhere near the Nats. if this 2019 team proved anything its that talent can get you so far but team chemistry takes it the rest of the way. The Nats rid themselves of various clubhouse cancers and won the world series. The guys kept repeating over and over that character was as important as anything else in building a successful team. What Cole did after the loss says a lot about his character. If the Astros has won the World Series I doubt he would have put on his Scott Boras Cap and said " No champagne for me please I do not work here any more"

You’re not alone. I’m totally out on Cole too.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #207: November 04, 2019, 03:26:12 PM »
Heyman tweets that the Nats are already trying to resign Strasburg, and that they also want to retain Rendon.  He says we are also interested in adding someone like Bumgarner or Wheeler.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #208: November 04, 2019, 03:39:42 PM »
I’ve posted about Cole including the third post in this thread :lol:

Strasburg opts out and goes to SD, Rendon goes to Philly, Nats sign Cole.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
« Reply #209: November 04, 2019, 03:44:59 PM »
Heyman tweets that the Nats are already trying to resign Strasburg, and that they also want to retain Rendon.  He says we are also interested in adding someone like Bumgarner or Wheeler.

Stras Rendon and MadBum?

So you are telling me our Starting Rotation could be

Scherzer
Strasburg
Corbin
Bumgarner
Sanchez

That payroll would be the most expensive starting rotation in MLB. I personally think the Nats can roll with a Joe Ross/Voth/Fedde 5th starter. Spend that money on  1B/2B. NL needs to drop the pitcher finally and just allow the DH so we can maximize a guy like Kendrick.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #210: November 04, 2019, 04:16:49 PM »
I'd rather the team re-sign Stras, Zim and Rendon, and go after Grandal to catch. Zuk should learn some 1B and be the other bat for 1B along with Zim. Throw in a decent reliever and try again in 2020.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #211: November 04, 2019, 04:53:59 PM »
We dont have an extra ~20 million AAV for MadBum.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #212: November 04, 2019, 05:03:56 PM »

What would you expect to see the budget at? If the Nats in fact came in under the tax this season, I could see them getting close, and possibly exceeding the tax next season, if only by a small amount.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #213: November 04, 2019, 05:04:51 PM »
What would you expect to see the budget at? If the Nats in fact came in under the tax this season, I could see them getting close, and possibly exceeding the tax next season, if only by a small amount.
Under the luxury tax by several million

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #214: November 04, 2019, 05:08:35 PM »

I think we just don’t know- it’s possible the lerners love winning and double down, it’s also possible that old man Lerner has a trophy, declares mission accomplished and runs the team to maximize profit. My guess is nothing changes - high, but not necessarily highest budget team- but no one outside of the Lerner family knows right now

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
« Reply #215: November 04, 2019, 05:08:54 PM »
Braves declined their $12 million club option on RHP Julio Teheran for 2020.

Teheran will receive a $1 million buyout from the Braves and enter the free agent market. It's ultimately not a surprising decision, as the Braves will try to maximize their funds with other options on the free agent market. Teheran is coming off a 3.81 ERA over 33 starts, but secondary numbers largely didn't back up his success.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #216: November 04, 2019, 05:23:26 PM »
The Brewers declined on Eric Thames. Might be a good guy to be the Matt Adams role.

Offline hohoho

« Reply #217: November 04, 2019, 05:49:02 PM »
"We"?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #218: November 04, 2019, 05:50:20 PM »
The Brewers declined on Eric Thames. Might be a good guy to be the Matt Adams role.
You know, we will need to replace our shirtless cadre with Dozier gone

Offline hohoho

« Reply #219: November 04, 2019, 06:00:00 PM »
Seems he was disappointed that they didn't use him and considered it disrespectful. If they had pitched him, they might have won.
Not saying you're wrong, but not sure what you can conclude from a single comment in the heat of a huge disappointment.
As I recall, Stras wasn't very happy with the team when he was kept out after surgery in 2011, either.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #220: November 04, 2019, 06:02:00 PM »
Seems he was disappointed that they didn't use him and considered it disrespectful. If they had pitched him, they might have won.
Not saying you're wrong, but not sure what you can conclude from a single comment in the heat of a huge disappointment.
As I recall, Stras wasn't very happy with the team when he was kept out after surgery in 2011, either.

I thought his agent demanded it.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #221: November 04, 2019, 06:08:05 PM »
What would Starlin Castro cost? I like his always splita. I certainly think he would be more productive than Dozier was .  . .

Offline vicki4471

« Reply #222: November 04, 2019, 06:14:36 PM »

Did you watch the video that was released today of him actually refusing to speak to reporters and donning his Boras Cap, stomping off and snapping when he did answer a question? I took it with a grain of salt too when it was just something I "heard" reported through the grapevine. But watching him for myself and seeing him act like a petulant child was all I needed to form my opinion.

Offline hohoho

« Reply #223: November 04, 2019, 06:40:52 PM »
Did you watch the video that was released today of him actually refusing to speak to reporters and donning his Boras Cap, stomping off and snapping when he did answer a question? I took it with a grain of salt too when it was just something I "heard" reported through the grapevine. But watching him for myself and seeing him act like a petulant child was all I needed to form my opinion.
No, I haven't seen it and can't find it, though it doesn't sound good.
As far as I know, he has been gracious to his teammates and fans. But Astros ownership and management is arrogant and perhaps corrupt, so I can't blame Cole much for dissing them.
For example, Hinch said that he didn't want to burn out Cole so he could enter free agency as healthy as possible. That is typical Astros management lying nonsense.
I am agnostic on whether he would help or hurt Nats chemistry but he is one heckuva pitcher and I think the Nats would take their chances for the right price.

Offline vicki4471

« Reply #224: November 04, 2019, 06:47:40 PM »
Several people who claimed to have inside knowledge of the situation reported that it was agreed upon before hand that Cole would only enter the game
1- at the beginning of a clean inning
2- if the Astros were leading.

That situation never came up so not sure if what people reported is true he had to be upset about. I just think he was being a salty sore loser. The management may very well be corrupt but that probably wouldn't have mattered to him if he had been asked to do interviews while being doused with champagne.

https://www.12up.com/posts/video-clip-of-frustrated-gerrit-cole-trying-to-duck-media-after-game-7-is-worse-than-we-thought-01drjbhkepe2