Author Topic: The Turner Call (very bad!)  (Read 4310 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Re: The Turner Call (very bad!)
« Reply #75: October 30, 2019, 10:14:25 AM »
What are you talking about?  They were denied the ability to protest! 

Based on the interpretation of the rule in real time.  It was better to get a ruling right away then have a disaster where everyone gets called back to restart a game. Especially if the Astros had won.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #76: October 30, 2019, 10:15:37 AM »
What’s the point you’re making? Dude was in the running lane and exited early. Should’ve been called out.

If he was safe then it’s bad umpire judgement. And a crappy throw by Grace.
Are you dense?  You just asked  me to find cases for my mind facts. This case was much more agree Gio is because the runner was in the running path and then the last few strides went into the field. Clearly intending to interfere but not called. Exactly they point we are making. It’s a high bat for them to ever call this. Please find me an example of a player running exactly where Turner did and where interference was called.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #77: October 30, 2019, 10:17:32 AM »
The throw was into the baserunning path.

Exactly.  And if Turner was in the running lane at all he would have been ruled safe because the throw was in his lane. No interference called.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #78: October 30, 2019, 10:18:33 AM »
What are you talking about?  This rule was entirely an umpire judgement call as has been said over and over by Joe Torre. 

And if Turner was in the running lane at all he would have been ruled safe because the throw was in his lane. No interference called.

No judgement needed if Turner is in the running lane.  :shrug:

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #79: October 30, 2019, 10:18:53 AM »
Minty has catcher bias because batters do sometimes run inside the line intentionally to block catchers on bunts or third strikes.

Really the only time I’ve seen this called is when runners are obviously veering to block catcher throws. But that’s not what Turner was doing here. It was an awful judgment call and awful application of how the spirit of this rule is usually applied in baseball games.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #80: October 30, 2019, 10:19:50 AM »
No.  I just have first-hand experience with this particular rule.  As a catcher, if I see someone running out of the lane like Turner is, I try to hit him in the back with the ball - so he’s out and he gets a bruise.

I’m intimately familiar with this rule.

Serious question, if he runs outside the white line, it's not interference even if he knocks the first baseman's mitt off? I mean, whoever fielded that ball could have thrown it into Trea even if he had been outside the line.  And I don't know how you avoid "interference" in a play you can no longer see. Because it's behind you.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #81: October 30, 2019, 10:20:25 AM »
Minty has catcher bias because batters do sometimes run inside the line intentionally to block catchers on bunts or third strikes.

Really the only time I’ve seen this called is when runners are obviously veering to block catcher throws. But that’s not what Turner was doing here. It was an awful judgment call and awful application of how the spirit of this rule is usually applied in baseball games.
Well stated. I just posted a video to show a case where the runner clearly veered into the field the last few strides and yet no interference was called.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #82: October 30, 2019, 10:20:38 AM »

:clap:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #83: October 30, 2019, 10:22:10 AM »
Serious question, if he runs outside the white line, it's not interference even if he knocks the first baseman's mitt off?

I don't know how you avoid "interference" in a play you an no longer see. Because it's behind you.

You are allowed to run in and through that lane. If the throw takes the 1B into your running lane that would be “fielders interference” and you should be awarded 1B.

Incidentally, these convoluted running rules only apply to first base - not any of the other three. Think about that - how stupid are some of baseball’s rules?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #84: October 30, 2019, 10:24:08 AM »
Well stated. I just posted a video to show a case where the runner clearly veered into the field the last few strides and yet no interference was called.

And I said that was bad judgement.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #85: October 30, 2019, 10:27:12 AM »
What?

You made the point nobody would care.  I was just offering a different POV. :shrug:

Ahem:

but if he got away with a rules violation then people would brush it off?

You inserted a clause I did not agree with (and have clearly disagreed with all along) into the discussion, attempting to make it appear as if I were tacitly agreeing with your assertion that there was a rules violation.  Bad faith.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #86: October 30, 2019, 10:27:31 AM »
And I said that was bad judgement.
There can be no bad judgment. Judgment is just what you have to accept. Otherwise Dusty could have asked to review the play. Or play the game under protest. 

We’ve heard from players. I would like to hear from former umps. Of course it’s unlikely they would ever comment on their former colleagues.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #87: October 30, 2019, 10:28:33 AM »
You can play a game under protest for any reason. 

They were debating the application of the rule as it applied to that play. Their only mistake was putting Torre on the microphone when it was way past his bedtime.
He repeated about 10 times that the call was just about confirming whether that you cannot protest a game for an umpire judgement call.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #88: October 30, 2019, 10:31:34 AM »
He repeated about 10 times that the call was just about confirming whether that you cannot protest a game for an umpire judgement call.
Minty has overruled Joe Torre.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #89: October 30, 2019, 10:33:58 AM »
Took every ounce of my strength not to name this thread "Mrs. Holbrook's soapbox" :mg:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #90: October 30, 2019, 10:34:39 AM »
Ahem:

You inserted a clause I did not agree with (and have clearly disagreed with all along) into the discussion, attempting to make it appear as if I were tacitly agreeing with your assertion that there was a rules violation.  Bad faith.

Ah.  Ok.

I’m a dick...  :-[

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #91: October 30, 2019, 10:42:35 AM »
Took every ounce of my strength not to name this thread "Mrs. Holbrook's soapbox" :mg:

WTF?

This is my hill to die on and you give the opening post to Slateman?

The Chief = Umpires = MLB Offices    :stir:

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #92: October 30, 2019, 10:42:53 AM »
This is the best description of that play anyone has offered.

I would say, however, we’d be screaming from the mountaintops if that was Alex Bregman instead of Trea Turner and he’d been ruled “safe” instead of out.

If that play occurred and Bregman was called safe, no one would think anything about it because that is the way it’s called 99% of the time. It would have been routine. The whole problem was that the play veered from the routine.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #93: October 30, 2019, 10:43:33 AM »
If that play occurred and Bregman was called safe, no one would think anything about it because that is the way it’s called 99% of the time. It would have been routine. The whole problem was that the play veered from the routine.

:lmao:

Ok....

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #94: October 30, 2019, 10:48:46 AM »

Yep.  My bad.

7.04 Protesting Games

Each league shall adopt rules governing procedure for protesting a game, when a manager claims that an umpire’s decision is in viola- tion of these rules. No protest shall ever be permitted on judgment decisions by the umpire.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #95: October 30, 2019, 10:49:25 AM »
WTF?

This is my hill to die on and you give the opening post to Slateman?

The Chief = Umpires = MLB Offices    :stir:

Better? :lmao:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!

Offline The Chief

« Reply #97: October 30, 2019, 10:50:13 AM »

100% this.  Minty doing his best spidernat impression because he knows it.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #98: October 30, 2019, 10:51:17 AM »
I’m posting this because it didn’t get pulled over.

https://umpire-empire.com/topic/68491-runners-lane-interference/

Offline HalfSmokes