Author Topic: Popeyes chicken sandwich is back Nov 3!!!  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Popeyes chicken sandwich is back Nov 3!!!
« Topic Start: October 28, 2019, 11:09:55 AM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-28/popeyes-chicken-sandwich-to-return-sunday-in-chick-fil-a-slam

Popeyes is planning to bring back its hit chicken sandwich on Sunday, Nov. 3, in a slam to poultry rival Chick-fil-A, which is closed that day of the week.

YES!!!

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Re: Popeyes chicken sandwich is back Nov 3!!!
« Reply #1: October 28, 2019, 12:13:47 PM »
Now that is one religion I could follow

Online KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #2: October 28, 2019, 02:19:52 PM »
Oh cool, another stunt.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #3: October 28, 2019, 02:23:48 PM »
we knew this was going to happen, the idea that it would only be temporary was (to borrow one of Knorr's favorite words) risible. :lol:

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #4: November 03, 2019, 03:37:57 PM »
We were coming back from church and we made a left turn from Duke Street to Pickett Street in Alexandria. At first I thought there had been a wreck due to all the stopped cars in the right lane. Then I realized it was people waiting on line for the drive-thru at Popeye's. I wouldn't be surprised if a wreck happened later, though. The line was in a bad location, hard to see the stopped cars before rounding the corner.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #5: November 04, 2019, 11:31:14 PM »

Man killed at Maryland Popeyes in fight linked to popular chicken sandwich

The stabbing occurred one day after Popeyes began selling its fried chicken sandwich again.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/man-killed-maryland-popeyes-fight-linked-popular-chicken-sandwich-n1076351

A man was killed at a Maryland Popeyes over a fight linked to the chain's popular fried chicken sandwich, police said. A spokeswoman for the Prince George’s Police Department said the victim, who has not been identified, was stabbed at a restaurant in Oxon Hill, outside Washington D.C. The fight began inside the restaurant and later moved outside, said the spokeswoman, Jennifer Donelan. Donelan said the man later died at a hospital.

Since someone DIED over this chicken sandwich, I now MUST try one.
 :babyshark:
n2p

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #6: November 04, 2019, 11:36:35 PM »
I had three today

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #7: November 05, 2019, 09:54:35 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

The stabbing occurred one day after Popeyes began selling its fried chicken sandwich again.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/man-killed-maryland-popeyes-fight-linked-popular-chicken-sandwich-n1076351

A man was killed at a Maryland Popeyes over a fight linked to the chain's popular fried chicken sandwich, police said. A spokeswoman for the Prince George’s Police Department said the victim, who has not been identified, was stabbed at a restaurant in Oxon Hill, outside Washington D.C. The fight began inside the restaurant and later moved outside, said the spokeswoman, Jennifer Donelan. Donelan said the man later died at a hospital.

Since someone DIED over this chicken sandwich, I now MUST try one.
 :babyshark:
n2p
For a second there, I thought you were saying you wanted a shark-meat sandwich.

We used to get those in Maine at summer camp.  Or at least that was what everyone thought it was.  Looked like ham, so maybe that was just what the counselors were saying.

I think for a while there was a run on dogfish from the NE fisheries because the Brits wanted it for fish and chips.

Online dracnal

« Reply #8: November 05, 2019, 10:24:16 AM »
The Leesburg Popeyes sold out of the sandwich before 11AM yesterday morning. They have got some -serious- supply chain issues.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
« Reply #9: November 05, 2019, 04:50:36 PM »
The Leesburg Popeyes sold out of the sandwich before 11AM yesterday morning. They have got some -serious- supply chain issues.

They are only being sold at 150 popeyes out of 3000.

Popeyes is a joke. Their chicken is very mediocre and its very overpriced.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #10: November 05, 2019, 04:56:43 PM »

Seems like the best marketing. Campaign I can remember- they have people lined up to go to Popeyes- even if a fraction buy something else when the can’t get a sandwich, it’s still a huge win

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #11: November 05, 2019, 05:08:19 PM »
Seems like the best marketing. Campaign I can remember- they have people lined up to go to Popeyes- even if a fraction buy something else when the can’t get a sandwich, it’s still a huge win

there's a famous Harvard business Review article we studied in b-school that basically argued that creating artificial shortages was ultimately good for business, even if it pissed off your customers.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #12: November 05, 2019, 05:25:32 PM »
there's a famous Harvard business Review article we studied in b-school that basically argued that creating artificial shortages was ultimately good for business, even if it pissed off your customers.
That’s because most people are dumb.  Sometimes I shy away from Chik Fil A also because it’s just too darn crowded at lunchtime. But they are efficient and move the lines relatively quick. 

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13: November 05, 2019, 08:13:21 PM »
A long line is a market failure.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #14: November 05, 2019, 08:18:18 PM »
If they had adequate supply, it’s possible they’re a novelty for a weekend and it’s over. They’ve stretched this for months which keeps people talking about them and assuming their stuff is so good that they can’t keep it in stock (when the reality is most likely artificially constrained supply)

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #15: November 05, 2019, 08:35:19 PM »
That's not a good idea, for it puts the thought into customer's heads it's not worth going to Popeyes.  So that's probably not what was the goal of this sandwich

If they had adequate supply, it’s possible they’re a novelty for a weekend and it’s over. They’ve stretched this for months which keeps people talking about them and assuming their stuff is so good that they can’t keep it in stock (when the reality is most likely artificially constrained supply)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #16: November 05, 2019, 08:54:52 PM »
That's not a good idea, for it puts the thought into customer's heads it's not worth going to Popeyes.  So that's probably not what was the goal of this sandwich

Yep, you’re right, that totally explains the long lines that Popeyes has literally never seen before

Online imref

« Reply #17: November 05, 2019, 09:15:22 PM »
Popeyes doing much better than when they served cans of spinach

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
« Reply #18: November 05, 2019, 09:16:22 PM »
Yep, you’re right, that totally explains the long lines that Popeyes has literally never seen before
It's flash in the pan success. They can't sustain this business model. They want to go toe to toe with the big boy in CFA but they create a shortage to the point you have the idiots killing each other over it.

Kill them with cholesterol not getting stabbed over it. Can you imagine getting this far in life to only be killed over a fast food chicken sandwich?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #19: November 05, 2019, 09:35:59 PM »
Popeyes doing much better than when they served cans of spinach
with olive oil.

Online imref

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #21: November 05, 2019, 10:07:58 PM »

The radio news reported that a man cut in line to get the chicken sandwich, and he was stabbed and killed in the parking lot over it. I don't know if they ran out of chicken sandwiches, resulting in homicide.
 :devil:

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #22: November 06, 2019, 12:34:44 AM »
All I'm saying is Popeyes would not intentionally setup a campaign where they wanted to short supply a product, for they know the downside could be to make customers decide not to go there any longer.

Online KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #23: November 06, 2019, 08:25:55 AM »

Agreed.  This is nothing but a stunt to create buzz and demand.  Kudos to them because it seems to have worked.

I could say something about the people who actually wait in line for it, but I'll just be thankful that I have a Zaxby's somewhat near me.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #24: November 06, 2019, 08:49:40 AM »
I hope this eventually becomes a mainstay and you can just order one anytime you go to Popeyes. I probably still prefer the CFA sandwich, but at worst Popeyes has the second best spicy chicken sandwich on the market and that's still something to be proud of.