Author Topic: Crowd reaction takes  (Read 9715 times)

Online Five Banners

Crowd reaction takes
« Topic Start: October 26, 2019, 01:28:34 AM »
Up in the low 400s near the pressbox, lots of people sitting on their hands. Some might not have been used to the inconsistent mess of artificial/organ noise or the oft somnambulistic walkup choices. Nevertheless, there were occasions where decent rhythms from my contingent or others would start, but people looked like they had no clue that this was a World Series. And the weather was great, so I doubt it gets better from here unless something changes.

Someone was down in 109 and said it was the same deal. One guy was trying to get things going, and only a handful responded. Pathetic.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Re: Crowd reaction takes
« Reply #1: October 26, 2019, 01:31:39 AM »
Up in the low 400s near the pressbox, lots of people sitting on their hands. Some might not have been used to the inconsistent mess of artificial/organ noise or the oft somnambulistic walkup choices. Nevertheless, there were occasions where decent rhythms from my contingent or others would start, but people looked like they had no clue that this was a World Series. And the weather was great, so I doubt it gets better from here unless something changes.

Someone was down in 109 and said it was the same deal. One guy was trying to get things going, and only a handful responded. Pathetic.

That’s why the Nats lost. The energy was good. But when the 5th rally dies with men left on base, it’s hard to get excited.

Offline miller10

« Reply #2: October 26, 2019, 01:59:50 AM »
I was really surprised how dead the crowd was.  I thought it was much louder in the 2 previous playoff games I had been to, both of which were also losses.  I was surprised how many little kids were around us.  Their parents had to keep getting them food to keep them entertained like it was a sunday game in June.  The occasion seemed lost on them.

Let's hope the Nats score early in game 4 to get the buzz going.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #3: October 26, 2019, 02:02:35 AM »
Crowd was quiet because they didn't have much to cheer about. Kind of simple. I think they tried to get into it but the crowd never got really going--just like the team.

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #4: October 26, 2019, 02:06:30 AM »
I was in the 300 level and it was quieter than some other Nats home postseason games, and I've been to almost all of them 'til now.  Fewer chants and sustained cheers up there tonight.  The team was a bit off and so was the crowd.  But I think, as a fan base, we self flagellate a bit too much over this stuff. 

Offline rileyn

« Reply #5: October 26, 2019, 07:42:41 AM »
The crowd always deflates when the team goes 0-100 with RISP.  The crowd is a non-story here.  The ghosts of playoffs past lineup showed up last night.  That is the story of the game.  Grienke faced 23 batters and 10 of them reached base.  1 scored. 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #6: October 26, 2019, 07:52:53 AM »
The crowd was great pregame. It was great early. But when you spend the first couple hours watching two painfully slow working pitchers put a lot of guys on and only the Astros take advantage, it is hard to stay electric.

The crowd still got up for a lot of two strike counts and other key pitches. The crowd was fine. Complaining about it is just looking for something to be mad about.

Offline Briggs

« Reply #7: October 26, 2019, 09:39:00 AM »
What has really irked me about the DC crowd in recens years, is that they have no comprehension of baseball etiquette. Instead of waiting for a break in action to return to thier seats or go to the concessions - people leisurely walk up and down the aisle during the game with no regard for the people behind them whose view is blocked!

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #8: October 26, 2019, 10:02:15 AM »
What has really irked me about the DC crowd in recentsyears, is that they have no comprehension of baseball etiquette. Instead of wating for a break in action to return to thier seats or go to the concessions - people leisurely walk up and down the aisle during the game with no regard for the people behind them whose view is blocked!

Ballpark etiquette is a whole other thread. Don't get me started. It's especially bad for the postseason because you have a lot of novices.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #9: October 26, 2019, 10:33:58 AM »
:spit:  these freaking people

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #10: October 26, 2019, 11:02:53 AM »
I'd argue with ticket prices in the thousands of dollars, last night wasn't representative of the typical baseball crowd one sees in D.C.  A lot of people I know who went did so via corporate tickets, or via friends who splurged, and weren't regular season game attendees.

All I can say is that the crowd in The Yards park was hot until it began to thin after the seventh inning as we all headed to the Metro to try and beat the rush.  The bullpen was packed to the gills.  The Salt Line lawn was packed to the gills.  And when I first got off the metro I stood with about 100 people watching the Nats threaten early as we watched TVs through the windows of Buffalo Wild Wings.

Alongside the Bullpen people were standing on whatever they could to try and peek through the fence and watch the game.  One person mentioned that fans were trying to sneak in by climbing over the fencing. It was an incredible experience.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #11: October 26, 2019, 11:13:43 AM »
What has really irked me about the DC crowd in recentsyears, is that they have no comprehension of baseball etiquette. Instead of wating for a break in action to return to thier seats or go to the concessions - people leisurely walk up and down the aisle during the game with no regard for the people behind them whose view is blocked!

Shocking that people who payed over a grand for tickets wanted to come and go when they wanted

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #12: October 26, 2019, 11:49:22 AM »
That's not as bad as the few who stand a majority of the game when others are not standing.  These folks have no clue as to why other fans should be able to watch from their seats.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #13: October 26, 2019, 11:52:36 AM »
But that's the role of a few here on WNFF

The crowd was fine. Complaining about it is just looking for something to be mad about.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #14: October 26, 2019, 12:08:53 PM »
The crowd was great pregame. It was great early. But when you spend the first couple hours watching two painfully slow working pitchers put a lot of guys on and only the Astros take advantage, it is hard to stay electric.

The crowd still got up for a lot of two strike counts and other key pitches. The crowd was fine. Complaining about it is just looking for something to be mad about.

No, it really isn't. Tons of people were sitting there like potted plants, and you could hear a pin drop at times during huge junctions. Even Redskins crowds in recent seasons seemed to have more of a sense of the moment than many last night. And in a sport like soccer with a lot of on-field lulls, DC United crowds stay plenty electric even ehen down a goal.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #15: October 26, 2019, 12:11:28 PM »
No, it really isn't. Tons of people were sitting there like potted plants, and you could hear a pin drop at times during huge junctions. Even Redskins crowds in recent seasons seemed to have more of a sense of the moment than many last night. And in a sport like soccer with a lot of on-field lulls, DC United crowds stay plenty electric even ehen down a goal.

You guys can argue amongst yourselves since I wasn't there. But I'll opine on it if you wish (like that's ever stopped me or anyone else here before). :popcorn:

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #16: October 26, 2019, 01:24:39 PM »
Shocking that people who payed over a grand for tickets wanted to come and go when they wanted

It's just common courtesy. Paying lots of money doesn't give your the right not be thoughtful.

And the whole standing vs not standing thing...I always subscribed to the theory that you do what others around you are doing. And for the love of god, don't be that jerk that turns around to the crowd and tells them to stand up.

Offline Hogie

« Reply #17: October 26, 2019, 01:41:58 PM »
This area is too successful. There's too much money here. Last night was the typical rich people splurging for tickets for their entire families so they could all say they were there.

You know, the type of people who today say things like "Last night was so amazing!" after we LOST. But hey, they were there and got a ton of pics and videos for the 'gram! So it was a great night!

Offline hotshot

« Reply #18: October 26, 2019, 01:42:09 PM »
It's just common courtesy. Paying lots of money doesn't give your the right not be thoughtful.

And the whole standing vs not standing thing...I always subscribed to the theory that you do what others around you are doing. And for the love of god, don't be that jerk that turns around to the crowd and tells them to stand up.
Did the Houston crowd stand for the entire game? Looked like it in Game 2.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #19: October 26, 2019, 01:45:26 PM »
Did the Houston crowd stand for the entire game? Looked like it in Game 2.

I doubt it but I wasn't there.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #20: October 26, 2019, 02:08:09 PM »
I doubt it but I wasn't there.
I remember how the crowd kept getting up in game five 2012. Didn’t seem to help.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #21: October 26, 2019, 02:09:07 PM »
Any championship in any sport is going to have a lot of casual or even non-fans who can afford to be there for the event rather than the game.  It goes with the territory.  Look no further than any Superbowl crowd. 

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22: October 26, 2019, 02:26:09 PM »
This is an old argument. And mostly dumb. The fans here are as good as anyplace else. People should stop listening to tired media narratives.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #23: October 26, 2019, 02:32:45 PM »
Dull game = dull crowd.  From what I could tell in 404 and walking around various parts of the park people got into it when there was something to get into.  The part that irked me was the # of Astros fans.  There seemed to be a whole section of them in 236, and there were more than I expected to see scattered around as well.  But I accept that's just what comes with a town like DC.  From that perspective we're probably lucky it wasn't the Yankees.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #24: October 26, 2019, 02:51:21 PM »
Dull game = dull crowd.  From what I could tell in 404 and walking around various parts of the park people got into it when there was something to get into.  The part that irked me was the # of Astros fans.  There seemed to be a whole section of them in 236, and there were more than I expected to see scattered around as well.  But I accept that's just what comes with a town like DC.  From that perspective we're probably lucky it wasn't the Yankees.

I was in 113 near the visitors dugout and that area usually gets a lot of opposing fans. There were a few but not many, especially for WS game, I would think. The one thing I noticed is that Astos fans really like to dress up and draw attention to themselves. The whole Astro helmets, etc. Weird as crap.