Author Topic: Nationals @ Astros, WS Game 2  (Read 28998 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Nationals @ Astros, WS Game 2
« Reply #1400: October 24, 2019, 05:01:31 PM »

That one seems a little different than the one RDG posted earlier but both of them confirm that the umpire is either bad at his job or that he was trying to help Verlander and the astros get back in the series. Both of those are concerning but the second possibility really bothers me.

Can't say it's right but I understand the concept of a proven pro (any sport) getting calls somebody else doesn't get.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #1401: October 24, 2019, 06:16:21 PM »
Can't say it's right but I understand the concept of a proven pro (any sport) getting calls somebody else doesn't get.

Absolutely true. And if it were Verlander vs. Fedde, I'd buy into that 100%.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1402: October 24, 2019, 06:17:11 PM »
Absolutely true. And if it were Verlander vs. Fedde, I'd buy into that 100%.

On the National MLB scene, it was Verlander vs Fedde.     :mg:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1403: October 24, 2019, 06:48:17 PM »
what? Is Stras Rodney Dangerfield?

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #1404: October 24, 2019, 06:50:34 PM »
When an elderly Greg Maddux was on his second stint with the Cubs, he got like an extra foot on each side of the plate. It's been part of the game for a long time.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #1405: October 24, 2019, 06:54:46 PM »
:PUTIN!:

Note to The Chief or anyone planning to attend Friday's or Saturday's game at Nationals Park. Halloween Spirit temporary stores have over-sized Putin masks on sale for $7.99.

I want to see as many Nationals fans as possible wearing Halloween costumes or masks at the game. Let the Astros see that they've walked into HELL.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1406: October 24, 2019, 07:16:14 PM »
When an elderly Greg Maddux was on his second stint with the Cubs, he got like an extra foot on each side of the plate. It's been part of the game for a long time.
But Strasburg is a top pitcher. Why wasn’t he getting balls that were clearly in the strike zone?

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?

Offline Natsinpwc

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1409: October 24, 2019, 08:13:45 PM »
Note to The Chief or anyone planning to attend Friday's or Saturday's game at Nationals Park. Halloween Spirit temporary stores have over-sized Putin masks on sale for $7.99.

I want to see as many Nationals fans as possible wearing Halloween costumes or masks at the game. Let the Astros see that they've walked into HELL.

(Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.)  (Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.)
game 5 ;)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1410: October 24, 2019, 08:16:05 PM »
But Strasburg is a top pitcher. Why wasn’t he getting balls that were clearly in the strike zone?

He's not on the Verlander level.    If ya feel you have to give somebody a break (wider zone), I'm going with Verlander.    I'm going with Scherzer.     Strasburg is second tier in the overall scheme of MLB pitching (fair or not; reputation, etc.) even in the ump's eyes.     They see what they believe.

Online GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1411: October 24, 2019, 08:22:43 PM »
And this is the problem with human umpires calling balls and strikes.

He's not on the Verlander level.    If ya feel you have to give somebody a break (wider zone), I'm going with Verlander.    I'm going with Scherzer.     Strasburg is second tier in the overall scheme of MLB pitching (fair or not; reputation, etc.) even in the ump's eyes.     They see what they believe.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1412: October 24, 2019, 08:33:22 PM »

There is no perfection.     We'll nag about how often they calibrate the zone.     Everyone knows the 'stros cheat.    :)

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #1413: October 24, 2019, 08:46:24 PM »
There is no perfection.     We'll nag about how often they calibrate the zone.     Everyone knows the 'stros cheat.    :)

I’d prefer the calibration back and forth at this point. I haven’t really followed tennis in years, but I would think not having the McEnroe line drama occurring quite as regularly is a net positive.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1414: October 24, 2019, 09:47:03 PM »
Your making a mountain out of a molehill.  MLB looks over ump performances like professionals work is examined in any industry.  MLB will take action if a problem exists.  But the truth is there is no problem with umps calling balls & strikes.

Online GburgNatsFan

« Reply #1415: October 24, 2019, 10:01:02 PM »

Perfection is a goal. Short of it, the "helps which team" ratio would be more like 1:1.

Online GburgNatsFan

« Reply #1416: October 24, 2019, 10:01:52 PM »
You're not basing your conclusion on data.

Your making a mountain out of a molehill.  MLB looks over ump performances like professionals work is examined in any industry.  MLB will take action if a problem exists.  But the truth is there is no problem with umps calling balls & strikes.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #1417: October 24, 2019, 10:25:11 PM »
Comparative points when a Washington MLB team notched their 2nd World Series win, each season:.

2019 - 23rd October (2nd match, at Houston Astros, 12-3)*
1925 - 10th October (3rd match of World Series, beat Pittsburgh Pirates at Griffith Stadium, 4-3)
1924 - 7th October (4th match, at New York Giants, 7-4)
---
1933  - finished 1-4 vs New York Giants

* The most runs ever scored by a Washington World Series team, and the largest margin of victory.
_______________________________________ ___________________

Old Chelsea: "It has got to be this year. It simply HAS to be THIS YEAR."
  :cheers:   :w:   :uk:   :minigunz:     
It is better to go for a fresh beer than to curse the darkness.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #1418: October 24, 2019, 10:25:53 PM »

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1419: October 24, 2019, 10:48:57 PM »
Game 2 is over.  Time to get ready for Game 3.