Author Topic: Extend Soto  (Read 44551 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Extend Soto
« Reply #625: December 07, 2021, 09:51:52 AM »
That’s AAV. They are actually paying less in cash with the deferred money. Hopefully they are doing well in the stock market with that cash they are not paying out. 

AAV is more important than actual cash. The Lerners will NOT pay the luxury tax without a virtual guarantee of postseason revenue to offset it.

So when asking why we're not adding a 15 million dollar number 4 pitcher, its because we have 60 million AAV wrapped up in AAV until 2025

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #626: December 07, 2021, 10:43:04 AM »
AAV is more important than actual cash. The Lerners will NOT pay the luxury tax without a virtual guarantee of postseason revenue to offset it.

So when asking why we're not adding a 15 million dollar number 4 pitcher, its because we have 60 million AAV wrapped up in AAV until 2025
I would respectfully note that AAV is not really relevant now because the are nowhere near the luxury tax line. We are talking about whether they have a $140 million payroll in 2022 or a $180 million payroll. In past years even when they were near the luxury tax line their cash payroll was less than comparable teams due to the deferrals. Now the past contract payments are getting closer to the deferrals and will exceed them at some point. Unless Soto agrees to a contract with deferrals.

In 2027 they will owe Strasburg $27 million in deferred money. Max $15 million. And Corbin $10 million. So over $50 million over and above whatever their actual payroll for that year is. They are trying to save now while the team is in a rebuild.

Edit. I was wrong about Corbin. It’s just a one year $10 million deferral in 2025. However the Strasburg deferrals in 2027-29 are significant and impact their ability to sign Soto.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #627: December 07, 2021, 12:10:30 PM »
We're also nowhere near being competitive

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #628: December 07, 2021, 12:47:03 PM »

Depends on if the Braves lose freeman, the health of degrom, and how much the playoff field gets expanded

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #629: December 07, 2021, 01:34:31 PM »
True.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #630: December 07, 2021, 03:23:23 PM »
Depends on if the Braves lose freeman, the health of degrom, and how much the playoff field gets expanded

No it doesn't...our Division is meaningless if we all suck...and we know WE suck, so there's that...

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #631: December 07, 2021, 04:32:06 PM »
Man I hate that we suck again :(

Offline Slateman

« Reply #632: December 07, 2021, 04:37:13 PM »
Yea, sorry, this is a 95+ loss team as currently constructed. It would take at least 100 million AAV in additional free agents to get to above .500. No amount of playoff expansion is going to fix that.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #633: December 07, 2021, 05:32:40 PM »
They're also paying Strasburg 35 million to not pitch and Corbin 23 million to be our number 5 starter

Who knew you were so bullish on corbin? a #5 starter would be such a bonus for him!

Offline Slateman

« Reply #634: December 07, 2021, 07:14:10 PM »
Who knew you were so bullish on corbin? a #5 starter would be such a bonus for him!
You know me, supreme optimist

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #635: December 07, 2021, 07:32:10 PM »
Yea, sorry, this is a 95+ loss team as currently constructed. It would take at least 100 million AAV in additional free agents to get to above .500. No amount of playoff expansion is going to fix that.

Then we need to trade bell to whoeve loses out on freeman and Matt Olson. 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #636: December 07, 2021, 09:02:47 PM »
That was pretty much a given.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #637: December 08, 2021, 08:39:08 AM »
this makes me sad.  Not that it's not right, but I liked the personality of both Bell and Schwarber.  Bell is just a decent human being.  Really stepped up after the Tree of Life shooting in Pittsburgh a few years ago, and I think his community stuff here was sincere. 

The only thing I'd say about trading him to whoever needs a first baseman after Freeman, Olson, Rizzo, and probably Schwarber land is that I don't think people will give much in terms of prospects for a year of a good not great 1B.  I'm not sure that those 4 don't fill all the contender 1B slots.  However, there's not much left among  FAs that teams could be comfortable giving the bulk of playing time beyond Freeman / Schwarber / Rizzo.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #638: December 08, 2021, 10:37:52 AM »
this makes me sad.  Not that it's not right, but I liked the personality of both Bell and Schwarber.  Bell is just a decent human being.  Really stepped up after the Tree of Life shooting in Pittsburgh a few years ago, and I think his community stuff here was sincere. 

The only thing I'd say about trading him to whoever needs a first baseman after Freeman, Olson, Rizzo, and probably Schwarber land is that I don't think people will give much in terms of prospects for a year of a good not great 1B.  I'm not sure that those 4 don't fill all the contender 1B slots.  However, there's not much left among  FAs that teams could be comfortable giving the bulk of playing time beyond Freeman / Schwarber / Rizzo.

if we're not trying to contend next year, then there's absolutely no reason to hold onto Bell. Just start Noll and bring back Mike Ford as the LH alternative.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #639: December 08, 2021, 10:45:09 AM »

Bell is a deadline deal. Hopefully he hits as we to start 2022 as he did the last 4+ months of 2021. With expanded playoffs, the trade deadline will be active. Half a season of Anthony Rizzo got the Cubs a good relief prospect and an OF prospect who will probably end up in the Top 100 in the next year or two.

If Bell hits the first half of 2022 the way he hit the last four months of 2021 (.282/.376/.506), then he would garner a similar package.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #640: December 08, 2021, 12:51:08 PM »
Bell is a deadline deal. Hopefully he hits as we to start 2022 as he did the last 4+ months of 2021. With expanded playoffs, the trade deadline will be active. Half a season of Anthony Rizzo got the Cubs a good relief prospect and an OF prospect who will probably end up in the Top 100 in the next year or two.

If Bell hits the first half of 2022 the way he hit the last four months of 2021 (.282/.376/.506), then he would garner a similar package.
this makes sense. I don't see the market before the season.

back to Soto - I think it's looking iffy for contending before he can walk.  It looks like there's a commitment to taking the next couple of years to make judgments on about 8 or so guys within the system and only augmenting once that process is complete. ck, vr, lg, cavalli / henry / rutledge, antuna, cluff ...  I don't see those calls by the end of '22. as for bell, I don't think we can commit to '24 and beyond, which looks like the rebuild timeframe

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #641: December 08, 2021, 04:14:50 PM »
They need some Weimar-level hyperinflation.  Give them both their 100 trillion dollar bills and tell them to be sure to spend it before lunch 
That’s AAV. They are actually paying less in cash with the deferred money. Hopefully they are doing well in the stock market with that cash they are not paying out. 

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #642: December 09, 2021, 09:28:21 PM »
As a fan I agree but I think their attitude is they got their championship and now want to cut costs. 
BTW, Corbin's deferred money does start in 2025--$10 million that year.

Soto will be a free agent after the 2024 season when supposedly they should be ready to win again. Letting Soto walk would not be a good way to save money then. The fact all these contracts have deferred money means they saved money on the original years of the contracts so it shouldn't be a reason they can't pay Soto.

Offline imref

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #644: January 13, 2022, 01:58:45 PM »

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #646: January 13, 2022, 03:47:35 PM »
but the sound is in English?
I think he was joking. It’s not Juan Soto. A recent video.

Offline imref

« Reply #647: January 13, 2022, 03:58:43 PM »

the next Juan Soto. :)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #648: January 13, 2022, 05:18:12 PM »
I thought it was a documentary. 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #649: February 16, 2022, 02:19:03 PM »
Nats officially low-balled Soto before the lockout with an actually real, insulting offer (not like Trea's "insulting" offer).

Buckle up for Juan in a Mets/Yankees/someone else jersey while Mark slashes payroll while bringing back Zimm as a mascot for the 2019 team every few months for a first pitch. Guy got his WS and DGAF anymore.