Author Topic: Extend Soto  (Read 44483 times)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Re: Extend Soto
« Reply #150: September 28, 2020, 04:51:50 PM »
Soto is the 4th player to lead his league in avg, obp, and dog Ina. Single season

Soto is the youngest player with the batting title in the history of the national league.

Soto just had a top 40 single season obp

dog Ina?   :shrug:

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #151: September 28, 2020, 04:52:41 PM »
What makes Trout so uniquely amazing is he does what Soto did basically every season. His career OPS is 1.000. God damn he's so good.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #152: September 28, 2020, 05:00:20 PM »
He’s never dogging it.  Fake news. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #153: September 28, 2020, 05:03:04 PM »
This. It's kind if hilarious that everyone is anointing Soto better than Trout, Stevenson is an everyday player, Kieboom is a bust, and Garcia is a star, all based on less than a third of a season of play.
It’s scary when you are the voice of reason.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #154: September 28, 2020, 05:17:26 PM »
It’s scary when you are the voice of reason.

I don't think it's a reach to say:
- Offensively Soto is better than Trout through their age-21 season (that's a fact)

- Stevenson is showing that he should get a chance to win a corner OF job next year (.366 / .464 / .620 in 45 games / 84 PAs in 2019/20 in the majors and .334   .383   .503   in 333 PAs last year in AAA). What more do you want to argue that he earned a shot?

- Kieboom isn't a bust yet, but he's less deserving of a starting slot next year than Garcia.  If you've got an odd-man out between Castro, Garcia, and Kieboom for 3B/2B, I think most of us would agree that you'd put Kieboom in AAA rather than Garcia who has shown he can both hit and field at the ML level (.276 / .302 / .366 in 139 PAs)

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #155: September 28, 2020, 05:26:53 PM »
Great hitter. But he only had 196 plate appearances this year.  Not a full season. 

He did better than anyone else.  This and slates statement feels like some serious over correction on homerism

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #156: September 28, 2020, 05:37:44 PM »
He did better than anyone else.  This and slates statement feels like some serious over correction on homerism
You're trying to play off 47 games like it was a whole season.

From July 1, 2013, to August 29, 2013, Mike Trout hit .362/.493/.626/1.119, with a wRC+ of 213. That's a 47 game stretch.

Stop trying to compare Soto with the greatest player of his generation. Or at least wait until hes the best player in his division.

Online Slateman

« Reply #157: September 28, 2020, 05:47:12 PM »
The holy freak of this thread is astounding

Somehow, Stevenson deserves a shot at LF because he got hot for a couple weeks and hit well in a notoriously hitter friendly league, while another guy who didnt hit well this season and raked in the same league should go back down, and everyone wants to burn a year of team control on a guy who just OPS'd under .700 with a wRC+ of 77.

Yet for some reason I'm being anti-homer by suggesting that maybe, just maybe, a 47 game sample size isnt enough to declare someone better than the person that will likely go down as the greatest player of all time

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #158: September 28, 2020, 05:52:49 PM »
But the numbers for him and everyone else are not comparable to what other players have done in history over full seasons.  I am sure you can go back and find 47 game stretches where many players were great.  Any "full" season numbers like that for 2020 will have an *.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #159: September 28, 2020, 05:53:57 PM »
The holy freak of this thread is astounding

Somehow, Stevenson deserves a shot at LF because he got hot for a couple weeks and hit well in a notoriously hitter friendly league, while another guy who didnt hit well this season and raked in the same league should go back down, and everyone wants to burn a year of team control on a guy who just OPS'd under .700 with a wRC+ of 77.

Yet for some reason I'm being anti-homer by suggesting that maybe, just maybe, a 47 game sample size isnt enough to declare someone better than the person that will likely go down as the greatest player of all time

I'd like to see Stevenson replace MAT, but that's it. Man, anyone who thinks he should start is crazy.

Online Slateman

« Reply #160: September 28, 2020, 06:01:41 PM »
Replacing a 67 wRC+ with a 77 wRC+ isnt really an upgrade. Frankly, Josh Harrison was a better 2B/3B than either Kieboom or Garcia

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #161: September 28, 2020, 06:09:16 PM »
Replacing a 67 wRC+ with a 77 wRC+ isnt really an upgrade. Frankly, Josh Harrison was a better 2B/3B than either Kieboom or Garcia

Well, MAT is more expensive, right? So a small upgrade in offense (and maybe better if he is even ballpark to what he did this year), save some cash.

Depending on what he wants, I would bring Harrison back.

Online Slateman

« Reply #162: September 28, 2020, 06:12:26 PM »
Well, MAT is more expensive, right? So a small upgrade in offense (and maybe better if he is even ballpark to what he did this year), save some cash.

Depending on what he wants, I would bring Harrison back.
I was comparing Garcia and Kieboom.

I'm happy to have Stevenson as a 4th OFer.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #163: September 28, 2020, 06:14:50 PM »
I was comparing Garcia and Kieboom.

I'm happy to have Stevenson as a 4th OFer.

oh gotcha. i'd be fine keeping garcia in AAA most of next year. we'll have injuries so he'll play a lot. he's still so young and his bat still needs work.

Online imref

« Reply #164: September 28, 2020, 06:14:53 PM »

Yeah, we should have sent Soto back to the minors when he posted .235 / .350 / .429 in his first 140 PAs, with 39Ks and just 20 BBs. No sense burning a year of team control on a guy who still can't hit major league pitching and was a defensive liability. :poke:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #165: September 28, 2020, 06:18:10 PM »
Yeah, we should have sent Soto back to the minors when he posted .235 / .350 / .429 in his first 140 PAs, with 39Ks and just 20 BBs. No sense burning a year of team control on a guy who still can't hit major league pitching and was a defensive liability. :poke:
Those numbers are well ahead of the league average though for OPS.  And defense is less of an issue for LF/ 

Online imref

« Reply #166: September 28, 2020, 07:19:30 PM »
Those numbers are well ahead of the league average though for OPS.  And defense is less of an issue for LF/ 

But think of the prospects that we could have gotten for him. :)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #167: September 28, 2020, 07:48:52 PM »
Yes it was a short season, but is there any indication that this was an outlier? Very good, maybe not sustainable over 160 games, but the kid has been among the all time elite hitters for his age at 19, 20, and now 21. I'm not even sure he hasn't had a 60 game stretch like this before. It's hard to make the case this wasn't real

Edit- to be clear, Soto is who the thread is about.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #168: September 28, 2020, 09:15:55 PM »

I know this is a bit down the chain thanks to an explosion of posts in this thread recently, but in context, I'm guessing that was autocorrect for 'dongs in a single season.' Yet another reason to stick with HR or one of the many colorful baseball terms for a ball leaving the yard that -don't- share there name with a piece of male exclusive anatomy. Yeah, I hate that term for home runs, but I'm in the minority so I just let it slide.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #169: September 28, 2020, 09:23:38 PM »
I know this is a bit down the chain thanks to an explosion of posts in this thread recently, but in context, I'm guessing that was autocorrect for 'dongs in a single season.' Yet another reason to stick with HR or one of the many colorful baseball terms for a ball leaving the yard that -don't- share there name with a piece of male exclusive anatomy. Yeah, I hate that term for home runs, but I'm in the minority so I just let it slide.

I think SF was the one to start that here...and we all just ran with it in his honor...  :D

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #170: September 28, 2020, 11:27:31 PM »
I don't think anyone (at least I wasn't) said that soto was the new best player.  But he does have a legitimate case for best offensive player

« Reply #171: September 29, 2020, 08:47:28 AM »
Just stop. Juan Soto is not Mike Trout, talk to me after he wins multiple MVPs.  :mg:

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #172: September 29, 2020, 10:07:39 AM »
I'd like to see Stevenson replace MAT, but that's it. Man, anyone who thinks he should start is crazy.

I thought about this and I concur as I have never thought Taylor was valuable to the team despite his success in the play-offs.. I believe Rizzo should pick up a LF ( Ozuna) and if Stevenson rakes in ST move Soto to 1B as the lefty bat we desperately need there. Get us a good #4 SP and let Ross assume the #5. Resign Suzuki for one year.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #173: September 29, 2020, 10:20:14 AM »
I thought about this and I concur as I have never thought Taylor was valuable to the team despite his success in the play-offs.. I believe Rizzo should pick up a LF ( Ozuna) and if Stevenson rakes in ST move Soto to 1B as the lefty bat we desperately need there. Get us a good #4 SP and let Ross assume the #5. Resign Suzuki for one year.
If they sign Ozuna for $20 million who plays RF?  And who do they sign for C?  And the fourth starter? And 1B?  And help for the pen?

Online Slateman

« Reply #174: September 29, 2020, 11:01:52 AM »
If they sign Ozuna for $20 million who plays RF?  And who do they sign for C?  And the fourth starter? And 1B?  And help for the pen?
Pretty obvious they will move Soto to RF. I hope Robles gets his sprints in this offseason.

Gomes is still under contract and Pineda can be the backup

Theyll sign some JAG for 4th starter.

Thames can come back for first base

The one is fine