Author Topic: Extend Soto  (Read 44612 times)

Offline dracnal

Re: Extend Soto
« Reply #175: October 01, 2020, 08:52:24 AM »
Really? Why would the unions do that?
PS: Why are the owners profits not “insane”? Why should the owners pocket all the money?

I don't have a lot of faith in small groups representing a much larger whole. I am totally fine with seeing the luxury tax raised, or abolished in favor a flat salary cap, but I would like to see limits on just how big a contract can be, on an annualized basis,  because while it helps a very small handful of the elite talent, it leaves the rest fighting over table scraps in a doggy bag. I'd also like to the minor leaguers at all level get a noticeable pay bump. They wages they earn for everything short of AAA aren't really remotely enough to live on. The owners wanting to basically scrap those salaries and gut the minors is where I really see the ownership as being greedy and think they absolutely need to share the massive profits made by most teams.

Player salaries have actually stayed pretty flat during this current CBA.

The salaries for most of the mediocre to good players, definitely. The salaries for elite players have skyrocketed, to the point where signing an elite free agent makes it difficult to put a number of high quality pieces around him. One elite guy and 24 replacement level players is very, very unlikely to get the job done unless that one guy is Bugs Bunny.