Author Topic: Watch parties at Nats Park for away games (+ other watch party info)  (Read 8876 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
14,500 last night

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Last night looked massive. Good work everyone.

Offline Count Walewski

https://twitter.com/MichaelNotMikey/status/1187358796483629058

I was on the concourse en route to a bathroom break when this HR happened. I stayed on the concourse the rest of the 7th inning since it seemed to be working.

Offline nats2playoffs

14,500 last night

Were the Nationals providing free food and drink to 14,500 people? Were concession stands and the stadium store open, selling beer, other food or other things?

Was the game sound from Fox or Charlie & Dave radio?

Offline Glockypoo

Were the Nationals providing free food and drink to 14,500 people? Were concession stands and the stadium store open, selling beer, other food or other things?

Was the game sound from Fox or Charlie & Dave radio?

(Image removed from quote.)
Free food and drink was available to NATS PLUS members in the Delta Sky360 Club, PNC Diamond Club and Budweiser Brew House.

NATS PLUS members were able to sit in the Delta Sky360 Club, PNC Diamond Club and Budweiser Brew House and received free food and non-alcoholic beverages.

I'd guesstimate roughly half of the concession stands on the lower level were open for everyone else to buy food and drink.

The FOX broadcast was pumped in over the speaker system. Amazing how many people loathe every word that comes out of Joe Buck's mouth  :lol:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
 :hysterical:
Amazing how many people loathe every word that comes out of Joe Buck's mouth  :lol: [/size][/font] 

Online imref

Official Game 3 Watch Party at The Yards (for those who don't have tickets):

https://www.popville.com/2019/10/nats-continue-to-roll-world-series-watch-parties/

“Mayor Muriel Bowser, the Capitol Riverfront BID, The Yards, and Events DC Host Programming & Watch Parties During World Series Homestand

Friday, October 25, 2019, 6:00 pm at Yards Park
(355 Water Street SE)

Saturday, October 26, 2019, 2:00 pm at The Yards Lot
(corner of M Street SE & New Jersey Avenue SE)

Sunday, October 27, 2019, 2:00 pm at The Yards Lot
(corner of M Street SE & New Jersey Avenue SE)

Watch Party Weekend kicks off on Friday with a celebratory pep rally featuring the Eastern Senior High School marching band, live music on the boardwalk stage, lawn games, face painting, food and drink for purchase, and giveaways – followed by a viewing of Game three on a giant 18′ LED screen at 8:00 pm.

Watch party fun at The Yards continues Saturday and Sunday featuring live music, ballpark fare and drink for purchase, outdoor games and activities, and airing of Games four and five.”

Offline dracnal

Official Game 3 Watch Party at The Yards (for those who don't have tickets):

https://www.popville.com/2019/10/nats-continue-to-roll-world-series-watch-parties/

Before I read more closely, I though you said watch party at the Yard and thought, 'Huh... WS being watched at OPACY. Guess the blO's managed to find a way to bring championship baseball to their town after all.'

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Before I read more closely, I though you said watch party at the Yard and thought, 'Huh... WS being watched at OPACY. Guess the blO's managed to find a way to bring championship baseball to their town after all.'
The Nationals should have asked if they could use Camden as overflow seating :lmao:

Offline nationals28

I went to the watch parties both nights.

Game 1:
- Attendance was lower because it was wet out
- Ability to sit basically wherever you wanted and have lots of space around you
- Rally towel giveaway as you entered
- Result of low attendance meant most fans were die-hards, cheering was intense
- Secret invisible limits to how far you could move about the stadium; I got very aggressively yelled at by multiple staff people for daring to sit in a section that apparently crossed the invisible magical threshold of where people are allowed to sit; no signs, however
- Staff was surly and seemed to get a kick out of bossing fans around who couldn't find the one single place where you could exit the park
- Nobody did the N-A-T-S Woo cheer when the Nationals scored
- Metro closed at its normal time, forcing fans to decide to leave early or miss Metro

Game 2:
- Really, really crowded
- Super long lines for everything (food, bathrooms, etc.); way too few concession areas open; concourse was absolutely jam-packed
- Combination of non-rainy weather and Game 1 win brought out A LOT more people, most of whom seemed to be doing it as a sort of recreational aside rather than actually having any interest in the game
- Dynamic of the crowd was not intense/relatively disinterested for a lot of the game: a lot more selfie-takers, families, people who didn't seem that into the game
- As the night wore on and the casual visitors left, the cheering got better as die-hards made up a larger proportion of the stadium
- Because of the ridiculous arbitrary cutoffs for where fans could sit, sections were jam-packed, the aisles full of people, many people stuck in standing room only for a damn watch party
- Still, nobody did the N-A-T-S Woo cheer when the Nationals scored
- They ran out of rally towels
- It appears the only souvenir cups left are the Zimmerman cups, which I can assume nobody wanted during the regular season because Zimmerman's net attitude this year seemed to be something in the area of complete disinterest in baseball
- Staff was surly and mean as in Game 1
- Metro closed at its normal time, forcing fans to decide to leave early or miss Metro

General comments:
- Great idea for an event, lots of fun, especially Game 1 was great
- All Nationals staff I encountered were surly, rude, and angry, mean
- Way too many arbitrary rules on the event, I'd give the Nationals a very poor grade on execution of the event
- Nationals seemed completely unprepared for the larger Game 2 crowd

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
nats28, I was at Game 5 and Game 1 at Nats Park and had a much more positive experience. I thought it was a very well done event and the staff I encountered were really excited to be there and had a good time. Hate you didn't enjoy it.

I am not surprised having a crowd last night triple the size of Game 1 was a tough stress test for the Park. But for free entrance you can only complain so much.

Offline Glockypoo

nats28, I was at Game 5 and Game 1 at Nats Park and had a much more positive experience. I thought it was a very well done event and the staff I encountered were really excited to be there and had a good time. Hate you didn't enjoy it.

I am not surprised having a crowd last night triple the size of Game 1 was a tough stress test for the Park. But for free entrance you can only complain so much.
Couldn't agree more. Anyone who didn't have fun last night simply didn't want to have fun in the first place. The environment was awesome.

Offline Count Walewski

I didn't really interact with the staff, besides the folks working the metal detector at the front of the park. We had dinner outside the park so we didn't do the concession stands. But keep in mind that many of these people would have had a day off if the Nationals didn't decide to do a watch party.

Offline SharkNats

Couldn't agree more. Anyone who didn't have fun last night simply didn't want to have fun in the first place. The environment was awesome.

How can you not have fun when you win a World Series game

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Is this real? We are taking issue with the fans because they didn't do the N-A-T-S cheer (which is a stupid cheer stolen from the Jets anyway)? Or because they weren't sufficiently engaged with the game to your satisfaction?

Both nights were a blast.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Is this real? We are taking issue with the fans because they didn't do the N-A-T-S cheer (which is a stupid cheer stolen from the Jets anyway)? Or because they weren't sufficiently engaged with the game to your satisfaction?

Yeah, not doing that dumb chant should be a plus. As far as the people who are not really interested in the game, that's going to happen. People like to show up at events even if they're not truly invested in the game. At every playoff game I have attended I have seen scores of people who hang out in the concourse talking and not paying close attention to the game.

Also, nagging about running out of rally towels? :lmao:

And I don't know what to make about the comment about Zimmerman. :wtf:

Online imref

If Angelos realizes he can make a buck, he might just do a watch party at Camden.

• babble on
I saw some homeless guys on milk crates watching the game through the window of a restaurant last night.  They were into it - if the stadium didn't offer a sufficiently inspiring fan experience, I can suggest an alternate venue  :P

• babble on
The upper deck seats haven't been used in years, they could be dangerous. 
The Nationals should have asked if they could use Camden as overflow seating :lmao:

Offline nationals28

It was an observation, not necessarily a complaint. I was surprised by it, at the least.

Offline nationals28

I enjoyed it a lot. They were great events, as I said, that would have been even better if the Nationals had planned better for the crowds.

Offline Glockypoo

I enjoyed it a lot. They were great events.
If that's the case you may want to go back and edit your post. You literally listed 11 things you hated about last night without mentioning anything you enjoyed.

Offline Natsinpwc

If that's the case you may want to go back and edit your post. You literally listed 11 things you hated about last night without mentioning anything you enjoyed.
He must be an auditor. That’s how we do it.

Offline Copecwby20

I wonder how many people were there because it was free, and while not willing to spend the money on tickets to an actual game, still wanted to claim or feel like they were part of it.

Years from now they will boast about being around when the Nationals first went to the World Series.

Offline Hogie

future nationals28 reporting live from the championship parade:

- It was unseasonably warm and I got a little burnt
- Uber was crazy expensive
- Saw at least 2 people in Caps shirts. Come on, people!
- It was on a Thursday and not a weekend
- Not one mention of Brad Wilkerson's contributions
- Guy in front of me littered and walked away and I had to pick it up. Granted, it was a $20 bill but littering is littering!
- They scheduled it for the middle of the day and I missed my usual Thursday lunch
- I witnessed a horse poop
- I think the $5 champions shirt I bought on the street might not be the best quality