Author Topic: World Series Games - Ceremonial First Pitches  (Read 10861 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Game 3 Ceremonial First Pitch
« Reply #225: October 25, 2019, 10:46:36 AM »
discussion of game 5 1st pitch and presidential visit has been moved to the Game 5 thread on that subject.  Keep the focus here on Chad and Schneider. 

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #226: October 25, 2019, 11:08:51 AM »
Schneider had two dogs named "Ribby" and "Dinger" back in '05. 
discussion of game 5 1st pitch and presidential visit has been moved to the Game 5 thread on that subject.  Keep the focus here on Chad and Schneider. 

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #227: October 25, 2019, 11:11:48 AM »
Remember that time Cordero was rumored to be coming to the WNFF tailgate but then he decided not to because too many people were talking trash about him?

The more things change.... :lmao:

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #228: October 25, 2019, 11:29:29 AM »
Remember that time Cordero was rumored to be coming to the WNFF tailgate but then he decided not to because too many people were talking trash about him?

The more things change.... :lmao:
Oh man. I feel bad for any player who has ever read a gameday thread.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #229: October 25, 2019, 11:30:23 AM »
Need to get back to more important and relevant things. Like can and should the curly W be posted early in the game.

Also this thread is about the Game 3 first pitch. We should have separate threads for the first pitch of each game.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #230: October 25, 2019, 11:31:26 AM »
Thanks. I missed that before I just posted.

Offline djbaseball13

« Reply #231: October 25, 2019, 12:24:47 PM »
Again, that would be damn impressive.

I just wanted someone that a majority of people in the stadium could pick out in a crowd. I would not know Chad Cordero if he walked into my living room with a shirt that said “I am Chad Cordero.”

Spider may have well have thrown out the pitch.

At the end of the day, it’s meaningless. But the Astros first game in 2017 was a president. The Dodgers had Sandy Koufax.

Well, some people  don't like our President. Anyway, I like Chad Cordero too!

Offline djbaseball13

« Reply #232: October 25, 2019, 12:30:45 PM »
Fun fact. Chad Cordero crashed on my friend’s couch in 2005 after being out celebrating Zim’s 21st birthday.

Great story.  My drinking story is back in 2003 I saw Adam Dunn, and Austin Kearns (with Reds at the time) show up at a bar in Cincinnati. Dunn was downing shots for my friend's birthday. The next day, Dunn gets picked off first... but, he redeemed himself with a Home Run in the 7th.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #233: October 25, 2019, 12:40:19 PM »
That first press conference after Kearns and F-lop were traded to the Nats was quite a sight.  Those two looked and sounded like they had just received a 30 year sentence in a supermax  :lol:

Offline djbaseball13

« Reply #234: October 25, 2019, 06:47:54 PM »
That first press conference after Kearns and F-lop were traded to the Nats was quite a sight.  Those two looked and sounded like they had just received a 30 year sentence in a supermax  :lol:

They were pretty good friends. I got the impression that Dunn was the partier, and Kearns was the quiet sidekick. Austin Kearns pickup line was "Do you want to meet Adam Dunn?"

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #236: October 28, 2019, 11:10:10 PM »
First pitch tomorrow, Olajuwon to Drexler.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #237: October 29, 2019, 09:36:30 AM »
First pitch tomorrow, Olajuwon to Drexler.
It should be an ally oop to Drexler, but I forget if they had a point guard.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #238: October 29, 2019, 12:17:12 PM »
It should be an ally oop to Drexler, but I forget if they had a point guard.

Whittenburg to Charles

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #239: October 29, 2019, 12:35:27 PM »
Wittenberg to Charles
we should have done that. Is north Carolina in MASN territory?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #240: October 29, 2019, 12:36:27 PM »

I suggested Whittenburg and Lowe but folks were stuck on GT because GT is in the city.   

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Re: World Series Games - Ceremonial First Pitches
« Reply #241: October 29, 2019, 02:45:38 PM »
Disagree - former Nats players were a much better idea

Online dracnal

« Reply #242: October 29, 2019, 03:04:50 PM »
Gotta admit, I honestly don't worry too much about who throws out the first pitches. I think that going with a former Nat, a local celeb with local name recognition, or a national/global celeb are all equally fine. I think when the first pitch is tossed an awful lot of people are in line for their food and drinks and the TV doesn't even show it half the time.

The only thing I haven't liked is the very vocal arguing and dismissing of folks with different ideas on who throws it out. We shouldn't be getting tribal against each other when we've got the Astros to focus on hating.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #243: October 29, 2019, 03:08:18 PM »
I suggested Whittenburg and Lowe but folks were stuck on GT because GT is in the city.   
Gotta admit, I honestly don't worry too much about who throws out the first pitches. I think that going with a former Nat, a local celeb with local name recognition, or a national/global celeb are all equally fine. I think when the first pitch is tossed an awful lot of people are in line for their food and drinks and the TV doesn't even show it half the time.

The only thing I haven't liked is the very vocal arguing and dismissing of folks with different ideas on who throws it out. We shouldn't be getting tribal against each other when we've got the Astros to focus on hating.
Somehow, I'm guessing you missed the joke from Mitlen regarding the Astros choice of 2 of Phi Slama Jama. 

Online dracnal

« Reply #244: October 29, 2019, 03:44:37 PM »
Somehow, I'm guessing you missed the joke from Mitlen regarding the Astros choice of 2 of Phi Slama Jama.

Eh, yes? I'll admit, I haven't recognized a single of the various sports people that have been mentioned that weren't Nats, nor do I know their significance. However, my post wasn't really addressing mitlen, but rather the fact that this topic is making people get weirdly angry over something I consider pretty unimportant in the grand scheme of basically anything.  :shrug:

Offline Chelsea_Phil

« Reply #245: October 29, 2019, 04:02:33 PM »

What would be even greater would be to dig up Jimmy Valvano's grave, and walk it around the field in different, random directions.  That may be asking too much.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #246: October 29, 2019, 05:32:10 PM »
What would be even greater would be to dig up Jimmy Valvano's grave, and walk it around the field in different, random directions.  That may be asking too much.

Nah, it was more of a DC connection thing.