Author Topic: Share your fandom story  (Read 2976 times)

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

Share your fandom story
« Topic Start: October 15, 2019, 11:42:55 PM »
My first tee-ball team here in Louisville in 1989 was the Expos.  I decided I should like the real Expos, even though they played in another country and had a weird horn noise during their home games.  I was heartbroken in '94 when the strike robbed them a chance at a World Series.  I watched the stars of those teams be traded and depart via free agency year after year due to a tiny payroll.  Vlad hurt the most.  I watched MLB announce they would contract the Expos and Omar Minaya, the GM, go for broke in what was supposed to be the final season.  He traded for Cliff Floyd back and infamously sent Cliff Lee, Grady Sizemore, and Brandon Phillips to the Indians for Bartolo Colon. 

I had new hope when the franchise was moved to America.  I patiently waited for 2012, the year I believed it would all come together.  I think you all know the history from there.

Oh, and when I was a little guy my Poppa, the man who taught me the game, who practiced with me every day, who took me to our AAA games almost every home game, who would splice together instructional VHS tapes with the best content...he had me learn to turn around and bat lefty.  The random player he compared my lefty swing to?  Dave Martinez.

RIP Poppa!

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Re: Share your fandom story
« Reply #1: October 16, 2019, 12:06:21 AM »
I was born in DC in the mid-1980s and played baseball growing up, through high school.  All without a hometown team and as part of a generation with nobody to root for.

I went away to college and was there when the Nats finally came to town.  My old man and I went to the first game ever - the one in Philly - with me wearing a brand-new 2005 Washington road jersey.  I survived.  I even survived going to games in 2008 and 2009, when it was really only a matter of time until they brought in Jason Bergmann.

In 2012, I gave my tickets to Game 4 to my parents as an anniversary present.  They got Werth.  I kept Game 5.

2014 was when I attended my last Nats playoff game, the 18-inning Storen II.  I've been back to the stadium many times since, but never in the playoffs.  I just couldn't do it any more.

Now I'm no longer the child who even at age 8 felt shafted by DC not having a team; I'm not the college kid whose eyes got moist the first time I walked into RFK and saw a baseball field; I'm not the workaholic young professional who still made it to Storen I and Storen II, much to my regret.  I'm a mid-30s father of my first kid, born in the middle of this season.  Sitting here in the same jersey I wore to the first game in 2005, I know that my kid will never need to sit through a summer without baseball, an October of watching the chance to play for a first NL pennant slip through the hands again, a winter of wondering if the team will ever break through the first round.

The job's not done, but we've come a long damn way.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #2: October 16, 2019, 12:10:21 AM »
I moved to the DC area in late 2010. It took me a while to make friends here and in spring 2011 I had a lot of free time and decided to start following the scrappy local MLB team. First it was just on MASN, but tickets were cheap and good seats were easy to get so I started going to the park as well. The 2011 team was really fun to follow, as random of an assortment of players as ever played .500 ball. Prospects like Zimmermann, Espinosa, and Desmond, veterans with neat backstories like Rick Ankiel, Ivan Rodriguez, and guys who I legitimately thought had washed out of baseball like Mike Morse and Xavier Nady.

By the time 2012 rolled around, I was the "expert" on the Nationals at my office. I remember one game I went to with a bunch of coworkers, the Nationals were losing and there was a rain delay between the top and bottom of the 9th inning. Everyone left except me and one coworker who had grown up in Vermont as an Expos fan. Jayson Werth tied the game in the bottom of the 9th and the Nats won. That was the first time I thought the 2012 Nats might be for real.

I was very single in September 2012 when NLDS tickets went on sale. Something told me to buy two tickets to Game 5 of the NLDS, though, in case I could find a date in the following few weeks. It turns out I did find a date. My future wife and I went to Game 5 as our 4th date. We watched the entire collapse happen from Section 224. I am still haunted by the image of the Cardinals dugout dancing after Kozma's hit. We watched the bottom of the 9th from the center field concourse. We still kissed at the end of the game (as had been our plan when the Nats were up 6-0) and I was still confident this team was good enough to overcome the gut-punching loss and go to the World Series. I meant in 2013, but close enough.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #3: October 16, 2019, 12:26:30 AM »
Awesome stories!

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #4: October 16, 2019, 12:27:56 AM »
Great stories.  I have been a baseball fan since 1964.  Moved to the DC area in 1988.  Great place to live and raise your kids--except for one thing: NO BASEBALL team.  Forced to trek up to Baltimore once a year but that is just not the same.  So when DC got a team I formed a season ticket group and went to 10-12 games per year from 2005-2014.  STRASMAS was definitely a highlight as was the Zimm walk off in the first game at Nats Park. Went to all 3 playoff games in 2012 but have not had the chance to be back to the playoffs since then. Mostly it was just nice to be able to attend baseball games and follow a hometown team.

It is great to me to see this group bounce back after everyone wrote them off earlier this year.  That's a special sort of team.  I think the division winner teams just had it too easy during the regular season.  Being out of the area most of the time, I'm unable to get to many games but still follow these guys.  Maybe someone will now know what the Curly W hat is.

Happy for all Nats fans and everyone here.  Mostly for the longtime DC baseball fans who had their teams ripped away from them.  I can't imagine that happening to me as a kid.  They gave the team a franchise in 2005 that it had set up for failure but the front office built a competitive team in a relatively short time.  Great to see all of that and DC growing as a baseball town.

GO NATS/  Beat the AL!

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #5: October 16, 2019, 12:29:46 AM »
went our first game in 2005, saw Zimmerman's walk-off against the Yankees, have been through the downs, and more downs, Luis Atilano, John Lannan as our "ace", Lastings Milledge, Elijah Dukes, Henry Rodriguez, Papelbon, and all the highs/lows.  Always hoped this day would come, thankfully it's finally here!

Offline Expos

« Reply #6: October 16, 2019, 12:31:07 AM »
I've been cheering for the Expos since 1985.

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #7: October 16, 2019, 12:34:15 AM »
It all started in 05 when I knew nothing about baseball. Used to work for a newspaper and got really bored through the day as I was just an office guy back then. I started to bet on sports to make my day more exciting and remember following the old ESPN game casts on my PC.

I just remember being like “that team with the curly W suck” so I decided to read up on the team and find out more. I then decided they were going to be my team. So from Melbourne Australia I sit here in absolute sports heaven while those around me largely don’t care.

I have been through all the playoff ups and downs with you all, and I am over the moon right now

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #8: October 16, 2019, 12:44:05 AM »
I was born in 1971 in western Canada.  I grew up playing hockey because that's what we did.   I played a little bit of little league and loved it but was pretty bad at it.  I was a better hockey player, and a pretty decent ski racer, but baseball was kind of always my passion.

Almost everyone I knew was a Blue Jays fan, but for some reason I decided to be an expos fan.   90% of the games I watched were in french, and were joined in progress after the nightly news in the 2nd or 3rd inning before TSN became a thing.  I didn't understand a word of french but watched the games religiously.   i remember all the great players coming through from Gary Carter to Steve Rodgers, Tim Wallach and Delino Deshields.  Tim Raines and Randy Johnson... and on and on and on.   The first time we were goo was the 81 work stoppage interrupted year where they played the crazy first half vs 2nd half champs and lost in game 5 in a heartbreaker to the Dodgers when we put in our ace in relief to give up a game winning home run. 

It all led to the soul crushing 94 strike when we were 74-40....

When all was said and done, we were left with the great, young Pedro Martinez.   I made a point to watch every one of his starts that was shown on french cbc.  Including the perfect game he took to the 10th inning.   My hockey  background made me appreciate a guy who could lead the league in least walks allowed and also in hit batters.   

Then as the expos became obsolete as a franchise and let all their great players go, my fandom attached itself to Pedro, and I continued to watch all his starts I could find on TV for the Red Sox.   My now late father surprised me with an early 20s birthday present to watch Pedro pitch in Fenway.   It's one of my greatest baseball memories and one of my favorite moents with my father.   

A year later, I got a random job offer from a company in NC I couldn't refuse, and moved there as a single guy from western Canada with just a single suit case.  I realized how easy it was to get to Boston from Raleigh so continued to make a point to fly in to boston to watch Pedro's games when they were on weekends.   

Pedro aged, and my contract ran out in NC, I found myself in Richmond.   It just so happened this was about the same time the expos moved to DC.  So, it made for a very easy return to being an expos fan.  I know I cheated on them following Pedro to  Boston, but they cheated on me plaing in Puerto Rico and punting alll their pllayers.

Somewhere along the line, I started watching pretty much every gmae I could again and after that my story is like everyone elses.  I went to both the game 5s.  I've had all the heart breaks and the good imes, and am so happy to be able to watch this team... this franchise in the world series.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #9: October 16, 2019, 02:38:46 AM »
My first game was with my grandfather -- Mets and Giants at Shea Stadium in 1969 when the Mets were in 4th place in the division.  I see parallels between the 1969 Miracle Mets and the 2019 Nationals 50 years later.

I was very sick last year (major surgery, agressive cancer, major weight loss).  Weeks in the hospital.  Listening to the games with Charlie and Dave helped me get through those long days in the hospital.

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980
« Reply #10: October 16, 2019, 05:48:02 AM »
My mom had a friend in Hawaii that was a stewardess in the late '70s to early '80s whose father was John McHale the GM/President of the expos. I was 12 and just starting to play sports and I got some cool expos swag and memorabilia from her. She was a really cool person and even took me on a few drives in her Porsche. So that's how I got into Porsche cars and expos/nats.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #11: October 16, 2019, 07:45:58 AM »
I was born in 1954 at the old Walter Reed Army Hospital in DC.  Aside from living abroad in my very early years (Germany, Philippines, Massachusetts a couple of times) I've lived here my whole life so I grew up with the Senators and Redskins. In the mid 60's both were very marginal teams but they were the home town team and I lived and died with them. But both teams had that one guy who tried to carry the rest of the team - Frank Howard and Sonny Jurgenson (I liked Sonny :)  ).

And then both brought in managers who tried to make their teams competitive - Ted Williams and Vince Lombardi. Vince I knew about Ted not so much. He played before my interest in baseball began and with no internet all I knew of him was that he was the guy Sears used to highlight their ad campaign for the hunting and fishing gear they sold. His mug was everywhere. :mg: And then he was guiding the Senators to the unheard of heights of .500 baseball. We were actually competitive.

But then we all got wind of owner Bob Short's true intentions of buying, moving and selling the Senators. And when he did most here hopped on the orioles bandwagon, closest team around, perennial world series contenders, quick drive up the parkway, yada, yada, yada. I detested the orioles and the Colts because they used to trounce us regularly. There was no way I was going to switch allegiances so I pretty much dropped out of baseball and focused solely on the Redskins. And they made it easy to do because they brought in George Allen and then Joe Gibbs and the Skins were fun to watch, they won, and it was heady times to be a Redskins fan.

So in all the years without a team here I spent 3 decades clinging to the hope that one day a team would return and whenever a team was rumored to be moving here I got a woody like you wouldn't believe.  In reality we were just being used to get their existing cities to build them a new ballpark. I went through all the expansion efforts and saw other cities get the teams while our humble community was bypassed because of the lack of an uber rich prospective owner and our history of losing teams.

But when it became apparent that the Expos were on life support up in Montreal around 2000 I ultimately found an Expos board to post on. They had quite a few passionate and knowledgeable posters but not enough fannies in the seats to support the team. There were also quite a few posters on their board like myself from the DC area openly rooting for the Expos relocation, we were dubbed "vultures" by the Expos posters.  :crackup: It's no fun watching another fan get their heart ripped out seeing their team move but as the saying goes, it wasn't personal it's just business.

Go Nats!  :w:

Offline carlosdelvaca

« Reply #12: October 16, 2019, 10:48:08 AM »
I grew up in south central PA, three hours from Philly, two from Baltimore, four from Pittsburgh. We went to a couple games a year. Mom's side of the family was from Philly and we went there the most; I was a die-hard Phillies fan, what with them being so good from 1976 to 1983. But I told myself that someday I would live in a city with a major league team, get season tickets and go all the time.

Instead I moved to DC. I went up to Baltimore a few times a year, and went to see the Potomac Cannons, but it just wasn't the same. We went through a few rounds of rumors of other teams potentially moving here (really thought the Astros were going to do it). So when the Expos talk started, I said I wouldn't believe it until I was sitting in my seat on opening day. Then it finally happened, I bought those tickets, went to the first game at RFK, and made 10 year old me very happy. I cheered for the Phillies in the playoffs through 2009 (including their World Series win in 2008). In 2010, when Phillies fans booed Ryan Zimmerman getting his Gold Glove on opening day, I decided I was through with all that. The Nationals were fully my favorite team. Meanwhile I kept visiting out of town ballparks; I am up to 40 major league parks, with only four to go.

After fifteen years of season tickets and a whole lot of ballparks, here we are. I've checked a lot of things off the fan bucket list--a no-hitter, a playoff clincher, the opening of a new stadium. Now I'm checking off a big one. Sure, I complain about the fan experience sometimes (ticket prices and concessions are too damn expensive!). But I am grateful for this team and this game.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #13: October 16, 2019, 11:23:05 AM »
I grew up on Cape Cod with family originally from Falls Church, VA. My fandom identified with my DC family so I liked the Redskins, Capitals, Bullets and . . . Orioles....  no DC baseball team . . .

As far as baseball went, I actually didn’t watch much and I found myself actually following any team that pissed off the obnoxious Red Sox fans.  At times I was an Indians fan, a Blue Jays fan, a Yankee fan, etc. anyone who Red Sox fans hated in a given year.

Wasn’t much of an NL guy but my dad was a Dodgers fan so I did care about the Dodgers.

Once DC got a team, it was an easy transition because I was realistically a free agent fan.

I joined this forum shortly after I joined the MLB.com forum.

Still a Redskins and Capitals fan to this day, and now the Nats.

Offline tenken627

« Reply #14: October 16, 2019, 11:47:55 AM »
Born and raised in the DC area since 1980. Never really watched baseball much, besides a few Orioles things here and there like the Ripken year. But the Orioles never felt like my team. One of my closest friends that I grew up with is a HUGE Red Sox fan. Started getting into MLB then, and was kind of attached to Boston (this was before Boston fans became intolerable). Watched a lot of AL East games. I watched the 2004 ALCS games when "the Idiots" finally broke through the curse of the Bambino and all that.

Then the Nats came in 2005 and started following them on the side. It was kinda cool having a hometown team, but still a side interest.

Then one day, I forgot which year, the Nats annual slogan was "Welcome to Natstown". And my Red Sox buddy said something like "Aww how cute. Cute slogan for a cute team."

I told him "F**k you" and never looked back since.

Welcome to Natstown now you b****!

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #15: October 16, 2019, 12:06:10 PM »
My college roommate was a Braves fan so I rooted on the Expos to spite him.

Offline Ed Stroud

« Reply #16: October 16, 2019, 12:15:15 PM »
First game was 1964 Saturday afternoon "Family Day" against the California Angels when I was 8 years old.  I think my dad paid $10 for 6 tickets to DC Stadium. Was a die hard fan of a floundering team throughout the 60s.  I still have the Thompson's Dairy wooden bat from Senator's Bat Night at the ballpark. Will never forget when Ted Williams was hired to manage and how much excitement he brought to the team.  Was lucky enough to attend the ASG in 1969 with my father, but all along yearned for a playoff team.  This team is special and makes all of the waiting worthwhile.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #17: October 16, 2019, 12:54:50 PM »
My college roommate was a Braves fan so I rooted on the Expos to spite him.

That is the most The Chief thing I’ve ever heard...

:lmao:

Offline mdnatsfan

« Reply #18: October 16, 2019, 01:50:42 PM »
I'm gonna get boos for this:

Moved here from Philly in 1993. Flyers, Eagles lifer. Was not a baseball/Phillies fan, though have fond memories going to a few games with my dad growing up and the 80 WS title was memorable and the 93 run was fun. But really not a baseball guy.

Fast forward 2005: 6 year old son started playing baseball, same year Nats came to town. It was exciting. To encourage his love of the game, I made a commitment to take him to Nats games. In fact, at his very first baseball practice I went to a local watering hole (Olney area) to pass time and bought a beer glass celebrating DC as a "Baseball Town". In fact, I'm drinking water out of it right now.

As primarily a football/hockey guy, I only take the boys to a few games a year, but I've become a huge fan.

Memorable Nats moments:

2006 Father's Day game with two sons--Zimmerman 9th inning magic. "Who is that no. 11?" Ryan quickly became household favorite (my son is named Ryan). In fact, my son played with Ryan's nephew in Bethesda Little League circa 2008-2009 time frame.

2006-2009: Buying Nats promotional ticket coupons from a company I can't even remember. Got 4 free games. 12 buy one, get one free tickets. My son and I used to go with other buddy and his son. Listening to games on drive home from work. Pounding those old RFK aluminum bleachers! Older son grabbing a lot of balls from the outfielders and pitchers near the bullpen between innings!

2010: Driving to Hagarstown to see Harper with my two sons. Listening to Strasmas on radio. (I listen to them on radio more than watch on tv).

2011: Random trip to the park, Aug 21. Wanted to see the great Roy Halladay. Nats came back, beating Brad Lidge. Funny part of this was I went alone, and started leaving the stadium in 9th until I heard all the excitement. Ran back and sat in lower bowl to watch Nats tie it and Zimmerman score winning run in 10th!

2012: Newly divorced, went to Division-clinching game with first post-divorce GF. Later that season: Sitting in bed late with younger son as Nats blow it: "Does that mean Harper won't be in the Series?"

2016: Scherzer 20 Strike out game. There with 11 year old. Went for the Harper bobblehead. Started to leave in 7th, until dude next to me says: "You can't leave. Scherzer has X home runs." We stayed and it was electric!

2017: May 1: Nats crush Mets--Rendon hits 3 hr. May 14: Scherzer's immaculate inning--went for the bobblehead, again, and got to see Scherzer's immaculate 5th inning throws after taking line drive off knee in 4th. Aug 13: Howie's walk-off Slam: left boys in seats and ran to get car which was pretty far away--by the time got to car bases loaded. Was rounding on Half St. when he hit the slam. Boys still laugh at me for leaving early! But they saw it. Sept. 8: MAT in the ballpark GS! Unbelievable.

We started going to a lot of games in '16/'17. Then, bought the older boy game 1 tickets to playoff game 1. We watched Stras pitch one of his most sublime games ever. Yet, Nats bats choked.

Took a break in '18. Felt like we were bad luck (Philly thing).

Couldn't make any games in '19, until: Game 4 NLDS. Told son: "Scherzer always does something amazing when I'm there." He pitched out of the basesloaded jame in the 7th! Seeing Ryan Zimmerman homer was amazing.

We made an encore visit Monday for pivotal Game 3. Stras didn't disappoint. He pulled off Scherzeresqe 7th inning heroics! Great game.

That's my humble history.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #19: October 16, 2019, 02:33:43 PM »
A native Richmonder, my first Senators game was in the Summer of 1951 at Griffith Stadium, against the Red Sox (Ted Williams hit two doubles off the high right field wall). I was three months short of my 8th birthday.

Outside the ballpark, my dad bought me a baseball purportedly signed by all the Senators. Cost was $2. Sam Dente, Cass Michaels and Eddie Yost had real nice signatures. Even though half (or more) of the signatures had faded by 1990, I sold it to a memorabilia guy for $60. Did a clubhouse guy sign all those balls back then? Who knows? 

Before the game, two local kids offered to ensure the safety of our car on the streets around the stadium for 50 cents each. We paid them.

Offline Bookman

« Reply #20: October 16, 2019, 02:39:56 PM »
Have been a fan since Howie hit the Grand Slam.   Long, Long story.  The end.

Offline hohoho

« Reply #21: October 16, 2019, 03:24:25 PM »
Last playoff game I went to was Game 5 in 2012. Since I am a jinx, I have stayed away from playoffs ever since.  :D
Usually don't root for home town professional teams (suck it Danny Snyder) but always made an exception for the Senators and Nats.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #22: October 16, 2019, 03:30:00 PM »
That reminds me, there were three women in front of me last night talking about the bias against the Nats by the TBS crew. I wanted to ask them if one of them was hohoho but thought they might get offended and think I meant something else. :?

Offline tenken627

« Reply #23: October 16, 2019, 03:37:24 PM »
That reminds me, there were three women in front of me last night talking about the bias against the Nats by the TBS crew. I wanted to ask them if one of them was hohoho but thought they might get offended and think I meant something else. :?

:spit:

Offline hohoho

« Reply #24: October 16, 2019, 03:39:14 PM »
Those were remarkably astute women whatever their professions.