Author Topic: TEAM OF DESTINYYYYYYYYYYYYYY  (Read 3676 times)

Online blue911

Re: TEAM OF DESTINYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
« Reply #50: October 17, 2019, 05:45:08 PM »
I’m glad Harper signed with the Phillies. I think the Nats offer was terrible but Philadelphia moved into the Chris Davis bad level. Let them deal with an underachiever that gets way too much attention. Players begin to resent him because the media wants to hype him and he’s willing to play.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #51: October 17, 2019, 05:48:10 PM »
I’m glad Harper signed with the Phillies. I think the Nats offer was terrible but Philadelphia moved into the Chris Davis bad level. Let them deal with an underachiever that gets way too much attention. Players begin to resent him because the media wants to hype him and he’s willing to play.

:clap:

Offline dracnal

« Reply #52: October 17, 2019, 06:20:35 PM »

Personally, I think we should give him a big 'Thank you,' when he comes into town next. His comment at the beginning of this season about bringing a championship to DC is starting to look prophetic and well.... Sweeping the Philles in five straight games is a big part of why we got home game in the Wildcard. He may just be a punk ass nag, but sending him back to Philly with serious butthurt is a big part of our success right now.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #53: October 17, 2019, 06:21:27 PM »
Personally, I think we should give him a big 'Thank you,' when he comes into town next. His comment at the beginning of this season about bringing a championship to DC is starting to look prophetic and well.... Sweeping the Philles in five straight games is a big part of why we got home game in the Wildcard. He may just be a punk ass nag, but sending him back to Philly with serious butthurt is a big part of our success right now.

I posted this in another thread. He’s going to get a standing ovation.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #54: October 17, 2019, 10:36:04 PM »
geez, to me, that guy is so past tense and irrelevant I can't give him space in my mind anymore.  I'm amazed people even get the energy to post vengeance and hate towards him.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #55: October 17, 2019, 10:52:36 PM »
Bryce is going to get a standing ovation when he next comes up to bat in D.C., I wonder if he'll know why.
Whatever happens next couple weeks, I think a standing ovation and mocking cheers is the way to go.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #56: October 17, 2019, 10:58:57 PM »
It's not just the fact he left DC or signed with Philly.  But he displayed an ego while here that unfortunately, was built into him as a kid, as media et al communicated about his greatness.  I'm really surprised Werth didn't get that ego out of him.

geez, to me, that guy is so past tense and irrelevant I can't give him space in my mind anymore.  I'm amazed people even get the energy to post vengeance and hate towards him.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #57: October 18, 2019, 06:38:06 AM »
Whatever happens next couple weeks, I think a standing ovation and mocking cheers is the way to go.
With his ego he will think all is good.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #58: October 18, 2019, 07:59:25 AM »
The Phillies got a 4 WAR player for 25 million a year. That's not Chris Davis level bad.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #59: October 18, 2019, 12:22:44 PM »
An article about Harper saying he doesn't care.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27872097/bryce-harper-no-jealousy-see-nationals-world-series

Not a big problem with anything he said, as he mostly took the high road.   I find it interesting that he made not one mention of being happy for some of his old friends or team mates here though.   I wouldn't go so far as to call him a clubhouse problem, but it sure seems like we wouldn't have the happy, kum ba yah, team that all loves playing and dancing together with him on the team :-).    There was probably a different chemistry, but one that was working, when you had guys like Werth and Dusty keeping him in check.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #60: October 18, 2019, 12:27:13 PM »
He did:

"No. I'm so happy for them. You know how hard it is to get into the postseason and win games. For them to be able to put it together this year the way they have, it's an amazing thing."

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #61: October 18, 2019, 12:32:02 PM »
He did:

That felt like a throw away quote about the team in general.   Not about the players.  Seems like most guys would have said something like, I am happy for my friends on that team, I am happy Zimmerman finally made it after all he went through, and all the years I played with him.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62: October 18, 2019, 12:37:47 PM »
Total “look at me article” I’d rather column inches being spent on Soto or Robles.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #63: October 18, 2019, 12:40:18 PM »
Eh, it was a question that tons of people had good on him for answering like he did. He's human so I'm sure it irks him a little bit and there's some sadness that he's not doing it but he is pretty good at saying the right stuff with regards to his former teammates.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #64: October 18, 2019, 01:06:12 PM »
Brian who?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #65: October 18, 2019, 01:55:19 PM »
Total “look at me article” I’d rather column inches being spent on Soto or Robles.

This sounds like something AZ would say but in a different context :twisted:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #66: October 18, 2019, 02:02:06 PM »
That felt like a throw away quote about the team in general.   Not about the players.  Seems like most guys would have said something like, I am happy for my friends on that team, I am happy Zimmerman finally made it after all he went through, and all the years I played with him.
Maybe he did and they didn’t use that.  You never know with these articles what whether or not what they use is representative. He might also have said LAC.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #67: October 18, 2019, 02:33:46 PM »
Maybe he did and they didn’t use that.  You never know with these articles what whether or not what they use is representative. He might also have said LAC.

Well, to be fair, it was also an article about an article another publication wrote (The Atlantic).

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68: October 18, 2019, 02:37:36 PM »
Well, to be fair, it was also an article about an article another publication wrote (The Atlantic).

I read the Athletic article. Stark was as friendly to Harper as one could possibly be. If he had said things that made him seem magnanimous, it would have been in the (long) article.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #69: October 18, 2019, 02:46:00 PM »
The media trying to stir up controversy. Imagine that.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #70: October 18, 2019, 03:32:51 PM »
I read the Athletic article. Stark was as friendly to Harper as one could possibly be. If he had said things that made him seem magnanimous, it would have been in the (long) article.

That's good to know. I don't subscribe to the site with the original article, but the first couple of paragraphs seemed to have a slightly different tone than the ESPN one, so I wasn't sure if ESPN chose to elide some facts. Glad to hear you were able to read the original and that ESPN gave a decent summary.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #71: October 18, 2019, 03:46:14 PM »
I really don't understand the hate.  Bryce was a fun player to watch here.  He at times was great, at times he struggled to live up to the hype.  He basically grew up in DC.  Sometimes he said things that were a bit childish or stupid.  Not like he ever did anything terrible or embarrassing.  He mostly was a solid citizen and good ball player that brought a lot of excitement.  The Nats weren't really winning to pay what he could get on the open market, so he made a business decision.  It is working out for the Nats, and his comments in that article were humble enough to acknowledge the money spent on other players instead of him paid off.  Let it go. 

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #72: October 18, 2019, 05:58:13 PM »
I really don't understand the hate. 

Simple, he signed with a hated rival, and talked smack about the DC fan base afterwards. He then acted like a real douche in his first games back (bat flipping, bowing  to the Philly fans in attendance and exhorting them, etc.) If you act like an jerk, you will get treated like an jerk.

The dude will be getting booed here for the rest of his career because he will continue to says stupid crap and act like an jerk because he can't help himself.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #73: October 18, 2019, 08:55:02 PM »
There is a Harper thread elsewhere in the forum. We can chat about that there.

Speaking of Destiny, my dad (a cubs fan) took me to my first game at Wrigley back in 2016.

This year, I took him to his first game ever at Nats Park.

Extrapolate from that what you will.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #74: October 18, 2019, 08:58:38 PM »
Your Dad must like bourbon

There is a Harper thread elsewhere in the forum. We can chat about that there.

Speaking of Destiny, my dad (a cubs fan) took me to my first game at Wrigley back in 2016.

This year, I took him to his first game ever at Nats Park.

Extrapolate from that what you will.