Author Topic: Nationals @ Cardinals, NLCS Game 1  (Read 22516 times)

Offline djbaseball13

Re: Nationals @ Cardinals, NLCS Game 1
« Reply #875: October 12, 2019, 08:59:25 AM »
Sanchez putting up 7 2/3 is so big.  I just looked, and only two pitchers in last year's National League and American League Championship series pitched seven innings, and none pitched more.  Scherzer got to seven in the division series this year, and no one else could. 

Being able to just use one reliever and not put too much stress on him is maybe the most important thing (besides winning the game) that occurred. 

I read somewhere (Boswell maybe?) that bullpens are more important in the playoffs because lineups are among the best, and starters rarely make it past six innings.  Will be interesting to see how it plays out for our Big Three over the next few games.

Also, does Sanchez move into a relief role now? What do you do with a guy who has been your best postseason starter ever  (counting the division series performance)?

I think the 4th starter is vital! Sanchez proved that he is reliable to get the job done, so he's earned his next start. If you start moving him to the bullpen then it screws up our rotation later in the series. I think we should keep our starters on schedule.  Just look at J. Verlander as a great example. He pitched a gem vs Rays in game 1, and then got shelled by the Rays on SHORT REST! The extra day of rest is huge with starters. I'd say that it is much more important than pitch counts.  And, the conventional wisdom doesn't apply to the 2019 Nats because our starters are great, and our bullpen isn't.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #876: October 12, 2019, 09:02:00 AM »
https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/birds-bamboozled-sanchez-doolittle-combine-on--hitter-as-nats/article_c251525c-fc4e-5728-be44-a8fd7c0b8e56.html

In the seventh, Sanchez let free a 66-mph changeup and that butterfly kissed Molina for another hit batter. Molina didn’t budge from first, but the exchange gave Sanchez’s pitching line some poetry.

He hit more batters than batters hit him.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #877: October 12, 2019, 09:06:00 AM »
36 currently in St. Louis. They are forecasting it to be about 60 by game time.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #878: October 12, 2019, 09:12:38 AM »
Boswell is a real savant...  :D

This is true but his article today nailed it as far as baseball in DC and our history with it. He mentioned the long stretches the Cubs and Sawx went through before winning it all but that included many years of winning baseball even if they didn't win it all. Meanwhile we went through the same years with mediocre teams to watch as well as the 33 years in the wilderness.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #879: October 12, 2019, 09:13:01 AM »

Anyone know where Hudson was flying in from?

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #880: October 12, 2019, 09:13:29 AM »
Anyone know where Hudson was flying in from?

I heard AZ.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #881: October 12, 2019, 09:17:19 AM »
I heard AZ.

THX...not exactly hubs - St. Louis and Phoenix...may take a while...

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #882: October 12, 2019, 09:20:29 AM »

Standard decision for Southwest.  ;)  Of course there's always the Lerners G4. :)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #883: October 12, 2019, 09:23:13 AM »
Standard decision for Southwest.  ;)  Of course there's always the Lerners G4. :)
Looked it up and Southwest has a few direct flight including one at 6am.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #884: October 12, 2019, 09:24:53 AM »
Looked it up and Southwest has a few direct flight including one at 6am.

Like I said, standard decision. ;)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #885: October 12, 2019, 09:26:37 AM »
Like I said, standard decision. ;)
Trust. But verify.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #887: October 12, 2019, 09:28:32 AM »

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #888: October 12, 2019, 09:29:37 AM »
I knew you would like that one.

Da.  :lol:

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #889: October 12, 2019, 10:53:44 AM »

Also, PHX is a hub for American.  Both they and Southwest have flights this morning that would get there well before gametime.

Offline Bananas

« Reply #890: October 12, 2019, 11:44:23 AM »
I’m surprised no one is talking about the fact that the Big Three might be tired after NLDS.  You can’t just assume all of them will have their “A” stuff after such extreme usage.

I’m not trying to be negative, either.  On paper this sets up great, but it’s a legitimate concern imo.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #891: October 12, 2019, 12:41:31 PM »
I’m surprised no one is talking about the fact that the Big Three might be tired after NLDS.  You can’t just assume all of them will have their “A” stuff after such extreme usage.

I’m not trying to be negative, either.  On paper this sets up great, but it’s a legitimate concern imo.
I think we know that. It's why last night was so important.  I figured they would need 5-6 runs last night to win.  But they escaped all those runners LOB thanks to Anibal. 

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #892: October 12, 2019, 12:44:48 PM »

I wouldn’t have issue with a Voth start since we took Game 1. Give them extra rest

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #893: October 12, 2019, 12:54:19 PM »
Scherzer is the only one I’m really concerned about. Corbin hasn’t thrown that many pitches. Strasburg threw 34 pitches in WC game, 85 pitches in Game 2 and 105 in game 5. He will be on regular rest.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #894: October 12, 2019, 01:00:12 PM »
what's with the chicken little bullcrap? you guys sound like FP who already laid the foundation for an excuse for Scherzer. Scherzer is also on regular rest. He needs to control his energy on the mound and he'll be fine. the bullpen should be rested so if the offense scores runs and Scherzer gives them 5 solid innings, all will be well. :smh:

Offline djbaseball13

« Reply #895: October 12, 2019, 01:03:01 PM »
All our starters are on full rest. From what I've read the Cards feast on power pitchers and struggle with slow speed guys such as Sanchez last night.

well, Max is going to have to pitch then!  He doesn't seem like one to take anything for granted. I'm sure he is doing his homework and will have a gameplan for the Cards

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #896: October 12, 2019, 01:21:32 PM »
Well, I guess the Nats have to sweep so they can get some rest.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #897: October 12, 2019, 01:25:53 PM »
what's with the chicken little bullcrap? you guys sound like FP who already laid the foundation for an excuse for Scherzer. Scherzer is also on regular rest. He needs to control his energy on the mound and he'll be fine. the bullpen should be rested so if the offense scores runs and Scherzer gives them 5 solid innings, all will be well. :smh:
Scherzer was the one who made comments about his arm being tired.  I don't think we have ever heard that before from him.  I would guess that one out of three has a rocky outing.  It happens.  Verlander just got pended the other day.