Author Topic: Nationals @ Cardinals, NLCS Game 1  (Read 22562 times)

Offline djbaseball13

Re: Nationals @ Cardinals, NLCS Game 1
« Reply #875: October 12, 2019, 08:59:25 AM »
Sanchez putting up 7 2/3 is so big.  I just looked, and only two pitchers in last year's National League and American League Championship series pitched seven innings, and none pitched more.  Scherzer got to seven in the division series this year, and no one else could. 

Being able to just use one reliever and not put too much stress on him is maybe the most important thing (besides winning the game) that occurred. 

I read somewhere (Boswell maybe?) that bullpens are more important in the playoffs because lineups are among the best, and starters rarely make it past six innings.  Will be interesting to see how it plays out for our Big Three over the next few games.

Also, does Sanchez move into a relief role now? What do you do with a guy who has been your best postseason starter ever  (counting the division series performance)?

I think the 4th starter is vital! Sanchez proved that he is reliable to get the job done, so he's earned his next start. If you start moving him to the bullpen then it screws up our rotation later in the series. I think we should keep our starters on schedule.  Just look at J. Verlander as a great example. He pitched a gem vs Rays in game 1, and then got shelled by the Rays on SHORT REST! The extra day of rest is huge with starters. I'd say that it is much more important than pitch counts.  And, the conventional wisdom doesn't apply to the 2019 Nats because our starters are great, and our bullpen isn't.