Author Topic: Arbitration Projections  (Read 381 times)

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

Re: Arbitration Projections
« Topic Start: October 10, 2019, 05:38:53 PM »
Strickland probably comes back at that number.  Same for Elias.  If those guys turn into even halfway decent relievers again, both those contracts are fine.  Guerra doesn't - dude got DFAed twice and is now behind guys like Rainey and Voth.  I don't quite get it, but the team doesn't seem to like him. 

MAT is a tough call for all the reasons already discussed.  As useful as he's been in the playoffs, he spent half the year in the minors for a reason.  They're not going to carry 5 OFs all season.  Strangely, however, I think he still has one option year left and his time in the minors mean he won't have 5 years of service time, so he could still serve as an up and down guy for next season if they can eat the cost.  That's a big if, though. 

Difo is the same kind of deal, but a different result.  He's versatile, switch-hits, plays a lot of positions.  The problem is that he sucks in almost every aspect of the game.  I'm not sure why you spend ~700k over an MLB minimum guy if either one is going to be a gigantic black hole. 

Ross is a harder call.  There doesn't seem to be much indication that he's ever going to get his form back.  On the other hand, this organization has basically no pitching depth.  I've got no idea.

Turner is a no-brainer in one direction, as is Glover in the other.  Why would you pay him an MLB salary and tie up a 40-man roster spot? There's no way he gets an MLB contract anywhere else, so why tender him one?

Ross was really, really good in August and September.  I think that's an easy call.  He should be the favorite to be the #5 starter, and at 26, he might just now be coming into his best years. 

From 8/2 on, which includes 1 terrible start against the Mets where he gave up 7 ER, he pitched 39 1/3 innings to the tune of a 2.75 ERA.  He looked like he was back fully healthy from the TJ surgery.  It takes time to get your stuff and command fully back.  I'm bullish on Joe for 2020.