Author Topic: EXTEND DAVEY  (Read 7050 times)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Re: EXTEND DAVEY
« Reply #75: October 14, 2019, 10:47:50 AM »
If Martinez had been fired on May 24, nobody would have thought he got a raw deal.

As it played out, the team picked themselves up off the mat and made the playoffs. Which is all anybody has the right to expect.

So it’s fine to say I’m not sold on him as a manager but the team did respond when it to nut cutting time. I still think he has a long way to go in bullpen management but that’s the hardest part of being a MLB manager. (The pitching coach has to take some blame for dry humping relievers). And he isn’t Matt Williams crappy.

Agreed.

Offline djbaseball13

« Reply #76: October 14, 2019, 10:55:22 AM »
If Martinez had been fired on May 24, nobody would have thought he got a raw deal.

As it played out, the team picked themselves up off the mat and made the playoffs. Which is all anybody has the right to expect.

So it’s fine to say I’m not sold on him as a manager but the team did respond when it to nut cutting time. I still think he has a long way to go in bullpen management but that’s the hardest part of being a MLB manager. (The pitching coach has to take some blame for dry humping relievers). And he isn’t Matt Williams crappy.

I wonder how much internal pressure managers get? Do the owners or GM's demand certain players get favortism? Do they consider "moneyball" statistics to be the absolute truth? (again) I'll quote Tommy Lasorda... You win 1/3 of games, and lose 1/3 of games. It's the other 1/3rd that make the difference."   It's a long season, so I assume that Davey would have to consider that when making decisions. In the reg season, it's not always a "must-win" game.  Managing in the postseason must be different

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #78: October 15, 2019, 11:24:57 PM »
DAVEY DAVEY DAVEY

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #79: October 16, 2019, 12:29:44 AM »
So should we fire him or nah?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #80: October 16, 2019, 12:30:19 AM »
So should we fire him or nah?

only if he loses the WS :)

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #81: October 16, 2019, 12:34:27 AM »
only if he loses the WS :)

An unforgivable crime.  :rofl:

Offline imref

« Reply #82: October 16, 2019, 12:35:31 AM »
An unforgivable crime.  :rofl:

yeah, I mean to get the team here and not win it is easily a fireable offense. :)

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #83: October 16, 2019, 12:38:37 AM »
Davey kept his cool when the going got tough. He handled the Nats at their worst, and now he gets them at their best. The chemistry is so great regardless of manager though. That goes all the way to the top of the org, and all the way down to every player!

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #84: October 16, 2019, 10:11:07 AM »
I wonder how long before they announce an extension for Davey?

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #85: October 16, 2019, 10:19:15 AM »
I wonder how long before they announce an extension for Davey?

It'll happen after the series and that's only if we win.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #86: October 16, 2019, 11:37:31 AM »
It'll happen after the series and that's only if we win.

FIFY

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #87: October 16, 2019, 12:09:35 PM »

The thing is--and you're not wrong nor should he necessarily get a pass for this--most MLB managers just do a lot of insane crap.  Even the relatively successful ones seem to make a lot of awful, head-scratching decisions.  Just look at Dave Roberts.  He won back-to-back NL pennants and yet Dodger fans were calling for his head after the NLDS.  Managers still deserve scrutiny, but there's just a certain amount of idiocy that has to be tolerated.  Basically, because he isn't Matt Williams crappy, that's almost as good as we can really expect.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #88: October 16, 2019, 12:12:07 PM »
Over the past decade or so Charlie Manuel has manger in two World Series. Ned Yost two. And now Davey. It seems eminently clear that managers have a small role and the bigger part of that role is keeping the team loose and focused over a season.

Offline nationals28

« Reply #89: October 16, 2019, 12:48:07 PM »
Winning percentages of Nationals managers:

Dusty Baker: .593
Matt Williams: .553
Davey Johnson: .550
Dave Martinez: .540

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #90: October 16, 2019, 12:59:12 PM »

Dusty Baker: .593
Matt Williams: .553
Davey Johnson: .550
Dave Martinez: .540

The regular season doesn't matter, according to some (not me). It's all about the postseason. I can't believe anyone thinks he won't be extended at this point.

Offline imref

« Reply #91: October 16, 2019, 01:05:36 PM »

Dusty Baker: .000
Matt Williams: .000
Davey Johnson: .000
Dave Martinez: 1.000

FIFY

Offline blue911

« Reply #92: October 16, 2019, 01:22:26 PM »
The thing is--and you're not wrong nor should he necessarily get a pass for this--most MLB managers just do a lot of insane crap.  Even the relatively successful ones seem to make a lot of awful, head-scratching decisions.  Just look at Dave Roberts.  He won back-to-back NL pennants and yet Dodger fans were calling for his head after the NLDS.  Managers still deserve scrutiny, but there's just a certain amount of idiocy that has to be tolerated.  Basically, because he isn't Matt Williams crappy, that's almost as good as we can really expect.

Pretty much sums up my feelings.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #93: October 16, 2019, 01:24:53 PM »
ACTAvation Energy

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #94: October 16, 2019, 01:27:42 PM »
First home game of the World Series we should invite back all the GUYS from our turd teams. Have a 30-minute ceremony where we just remember some GUYS. Robert Fick, Wil Cordero, Alex Cintron, John Patterson, Nick Johnson, Dmitri Young, Livan, HOF Pudge (Nats legend), Vlad (Nats legend), Papelbon, Elijah Dukes, Milledge, Shaun Hill, Odalis Perez, Felipe Lopez, Austin Kearns, Willie Harris, Wil Nieves, Adam Dunn, Drake LaRoche, Nook Logan, Jose Guillen, Ronnie Belliard, etc.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95: October 16, 2019, 01:29:04 PM »

Baseball seasons are long slogs with hundreds, if not thousands, of decisions to be made in a season. Getting rid of a manager for a couple of in game management decisions seems dumb if the guy maintains a good clubhouse and consistently wins. Every single manager makes bad decisions. Everything Martinez has done in playoffs seems to work. But the decision to walk Muncy could have easily backfired and we’d be talking about another NLDS loss.

That’s why I didn’t want to fire Dusty. He seemed to have the clubhouse under control and won. All these guys make dumb decisions. Maybe Dave is the perfect manager.

I do honestly think that a non-trivial part of the success is the removal of Bryce. But since we will never get a true assessment of what’s going on in the clubhouse, we will never know.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #96: October 16, 2019, 01:40:16 PM »
Baseball seasons are long slogs with hundreds, if not thousands, of decisions to be made in a season. Getting rid of a manager for a couple of in game management decisions seems dumb if the guy maintains a good clubhouse and consistently wins. Every single manager makes bad decisions. Everything Martinez has done in playoffs seems to work. But the decision to walk Muncy could have easily backfired and we’d be talking about another NLDS loss.

That’s why I didn’t want to fire Dusty. He seemed to have the clubhouse under control and won. All these guys make dumb decisions. Maybe Dave is the perfect manager.

I do honestly think that a non-trivial part of the success is the removal of Bryce. But since we will never get a true assessment of what’s going on in the clubhouse, we will never know.
Not only losing Bryce, but there must have been something going on to jettison half our bullpen last year.   Those 2 things must have changed chemistry somewhat, but then bringing in the new pitching coach and Parra seemed to complete the transition to a team that worked well under Dave.

Offline blue911

« Reply #97: October 16, 2019, 01:42:45 PM »
Tanner Roark was the black cloud in 2018, thanks to getting passed over in the 2017 playoffs.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #98: October 16, 2019, 02:14:07 PM »
Tanner Roark was the black cloud in 2018, thanks to getting passed over in the 2017 playoffs.

The next time you see VaRK enter the room, run for your life!  :run:

Offline vernon337

« Reply #99: October 16, 2019, 02:24:38 PM »
Davey kept his cool when the going got tough. He handled the Nats at their worst, and now he gets them at their best. The chemistry is so great regardless of manager though. That goes all the way to the top of the org, and all the way down to every player!
  I don't know.  Maybe a manager can't do much to build chemistry (though I think he can), but he can certainly harm the chemistry.  And in a sense, by not harming the chemistry as the leader when the times were so bad, Davey had a positive impact.  Think how some other managers might have screwed it up.