Author Topic: PB69 presents "Fire Dave Martinez" (2019)  (Read 37406 times)

Offline ajcartwright

Re: PB69 presents "Fire Dave Martinez" (2019)
« Reply #425: April 03, 2019, 10:10:42 AM »

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #426: April 03, 2019, 10:18:29 AM »
The idea that players that don't play well "don't care" is laughable. They are playing badly right now, but the idea that, against other professional teams, that they would play better if the simply had more "passion" or "wanted it more," is laughable.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. No one on here has any idea what is going through the minds of any of these players. You can't tell by facial expressions and they certainly are not being open and forthcoming in media appearances. We have zero clue what these players are like on the inside. None.

Offline carlosdelvaca

« Reply #427: April 03, 2019, 10:21:49 AM »
Pretty sure ever player's future contract/pay (and maybe current if they have performance bonuses) are directly related to how they do on the field right now. That's plenty of incentive to care.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #428: April 03, 2019, 10:27:19 AM »
yea I don't think they don't care.  Well, maybe Rendon doesn't care, but he's still going to try.  I think they are just rudderless, they were clearly SO keyed up yesterday and they played like nincompoops and seeing Davey's morose, clueless face staring back at them from the dugout could not have been very comforting to any of them. 

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #429: April 03, 2019, 10:29:46 AM »
yea I don't think they don't care.  Well, maybe Rendon doesn't care, but he's still going to try.  I think they are just rudderless, they were clearly SO keyed up yesterday and they played like nincompoops and seeing Davey's morose, clueless face staring back at them from the dugout could not have been very comforting to any of them.

I turned it off before the dave's postgame presser.  Did he say "I was proud of the guys...I mean...I really am."

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #430: April 03, 2019, 10:36:12 AM »
I turned it off before the dave's postgame presser.  Did he say "I was proud of the guys...I mean...I really am."

He was defeated, I mean there is no other way to describe his demeanor.  I really couldn't tell you what he said, just that he shrugged a lot and looked just, done. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #431: April 03, 2019, 10:38:04 AM »
He was defeated, I mean there is no other way to describe his demeanor.  I really couldn't tell you what he said, just that he shrugged a lot and looked just, done. 
Yep. He knows they quit on him and he can't do crap to fix it.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #432: April 03, 2019, 10:40:46 AM »
The idea that players that don't play well "don't care" is laughable. They are playing badly right now, but the idea that, against other professional teams, that they would play better if the simply had more "passion" or "wanted it more," is laughable.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. No one on here has any idea what is going through the minds of any of these players. You can't tell by facial expressions and they certainly are not being open and forthcoming in media appearances. We have zero clue what these players are like on the inside. None.

sanity :clap:

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #433: April 03, 2019, 11:17:43 AM »

Im sure you're right.

I just wish they had at least a display of emotion when someone walks on their field and shows their ass.

For years, even before Dave, many of them had a "I just work here" face.

I imagine Dave does feel deflated... Don't we all?

Honestly he needs to go in today and question what he is doing, and question his players effort emotion and passion. And tell them don't tell us with words, freaking show it on the field.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #434: April 03, 2019, 11:25:08 AM »
Honestly he needs to go in today and question what he is doing, and question his players effort emotion and passion. And tell them don't tell us with words, freaking show it on the field.

That's not who he is...

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #435: April 03, 2019, 11:48:04 AM »
That's not who he is...

Well... yeah.

But they've been underachieving since September 2017 if not at the end of August. They need to be told.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #436: April 03, 2019, 11:54:12 AM »
It kind of does not matter if they fire Martinez because the Lerners will not pay for a quality manager.

Martinez is Matt Williams the sequel. His replacement will be Matt Williams III

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #437: April 03, 2019, 12:04:57 PM »
It kind of does not matter if they fire Martinez because the Lerners will not pay for a quality manager.

Martinez is Matt Williams the sequel. His replacement will be Matt Williams III

You might be right, but I do think that Mark is more willing to spend than his Dad was.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #438: April 03, 2019, 12:05:23 PM »
Winning is the best retaliation. And getting him out. Putting him on in front of Rhys is a mistake.

This is a war, not a battle. Pitching around Bryce gets him impatient and leads to slumps. I don't like Maddon that much but he had this right. How we got Maddons bench coach and he doesn't implement this strategy is beyond me. Let Max go after him and everyone else (esp RHP) should pitch around Harper, get him to chase or deal with Rhys.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #439: April 03, 2019, 12:13:22 PM »
This is a war, not a battle. Pitching around Bryce gets him impatient and leads to slumps. I don't like Maddon that much but he had this right. How we got Maddons bench coach and he doesn't implement this strategy is beyond me. Let Max go after him and everyone else (esp RHP) should pitch around Harper, get him to chase or deal with Rhys.
There are two Bryces, the Patient and the Impatient.  And it isn't as though he transforms from one to the other frequently.  The Patient Bryce maintained patience an entire season and won MVP.  He did it by taking an inordinate number of walks.  The Impatient Bryce on the other hand is prone to prolonged slumps, by swinging at an inordinate number of bad pitches. The danger is that he can somehow lock himself into the Patient Bryce permanently.  Then we're doomed.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #440: April 03, 2019, 12:21:18 PM »
Agree completely, and you gotta try to take him out of his game.

There's also Primetime Bryce factor. We knew who we were getting last night, no excuses for not having a better game plan.

Offline tenken627

« Reply #441: April 03, 2019, 12:36:54 PM »

This. So This.

Rudderless.

Davey seems like he just wants to be your friend.

Despite his playoffs gaffes (and there were so many), Dusty was also your friend. But he also commanded respect from the get go just from his career alone. He was a leader of men. I just don't know if Davey has what it takes to be a leader as well.

It also hurts that we don't have that leader on the team right now. Zimmerman isn't that guy. Rendon and Strasburg definitely aren't that guy. I don't know how Max is behind the scenes, but I don't see it. Werth was but he's gone.

They are just expecting talent to win out and if it doesn't, well... rudderless.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #442: April 03, 2019, 12:43:55 PM »
This. So This.

Rudderless.

Despite his playoffs gaffes (and there were so many), Dusty was also your friend. But he also commanded respect from the get go just from his career alone. He was a leader of men. I just don't know if Davey has what it takes to be a leader as well.

It also hurts that we don't have that leader on the team right now. Zimmerman isn't that guy. Rendon and Strasburg definitely aren't that guy. I don't know how Max is behind the scenes, but I don't see it. Werth was but he's gone.

They are just expecting talent to win out and if it doesn't, well... rudderless.

Right, Baker was a great guy, a players manager, but he played with Satchel Page and Hank Aaron, he didn't give AF if your name is Bryce Harper or Max Scherzer.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #443: April 03, 2019, 12:52:05 PM »
This. So This.

Rudderless.

I don't think Baker commanded the respect you think he did. Because if he did, his players would have played for him.

Offline tenken627

« Reply #444: April 03, 2019, 12:57:20 PM »
I don't think Baker commanded the respect you think he did. Because if he did, his players would have played for him.

I've had my problems with Dusty, but the team leadership skill, respect, and reputation levels are still rather wide between him and Davey. Even if you didn't like Dusty, you still paid attention to him.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #445: April 03, 2019, 12:58:55 PM »
I always thought our team had at least an identity with Dusty. It felt like we had some of his old-school swagger. Davey just seems empty. I was hoping he'd bring some actual personality this season sans-Bryce because the manager's personality absolutely rubs off on the team. Just being a positive upbeat guy isn't enough.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #446: April 03, 2019, 01:00:35 PM »
These guys are professional baseball players. If they aren’t playing well because we don’t like Dave, then they shouldnt be professionals.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #447: April 03, 2019, 01:08:22 PM »
There's also Primetime Bryce factor. We knew who we were getting last night, no excuses for not having a better game plan.

The part of the game plan having Scherzer challenge him was good, and it worked.  The rest of the game plan - I agree - no excuse.  The relievers should not have thrown a pitch in the strike zone, even if it meant walking him three times.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #448: April 03, 2019, 01:18:17 PM »
Does an IBB ever work out for Martinez?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #449: April 03, 2019, 01:19:06 PM »
These guys are professional baseball players. If they aren’t playing well because we don’t like Dave, then they shouldnt be professionals.

This.