Author Topic: PB69 presents "Fire Dave Martinez" (2019)  (Read 40615 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: PB69 presents "Fire Dave Martinez" (2019)
« Reply #100: February 21, 2019, 02:43:17 PM »
Damn, I thought you said he was only on for 5 minutes

The interviews with Dozier, Corbin and Adams were only one segment each of about 5 minutes.    It appears they gave dave a few extra minutes and 20 "ya know"(s).    If we cut back on the "ya know"(s) and Paulsen's yammering, it comes to about 5 minutes.   :mg:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #101: February 21, 2019, 03:00:55 PM »
as for tripling up on the you knows, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #102: February 21, 2019, 03:06:31 PM »
as for tripling up on the you knows, you ain't seen nothing yet.

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-aby

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #103: February 21, 2019, 03:48:21 PM »
Mike Wallace should have interview dave...

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #104: February 21, 2019, 08:11:53 PM »
This is as close as I could get with Martinez's response to a question about his bullpen management. Paulsen was constantly talking over Martinez during this portion of the interview, which is why it jumps around so much. What was really frustrating is that Paulsen was cheering Martinez on the whole way, parroting this nonsense. Paulsen ripped Baker day after day for batting Difo second in the lineup but he agrees with Martinez that you need a huge division lead in order to properly balance bullpen usage.

Last year when you are 10, 12, 15 games up you can allow to give days off, you have the luxury, but when you're fighting, we were 8 games back at one time, I can remember getting guys up and saying man I wish I didn't have to use them but we have to win a game, we are going to fall behind. So hopefully this year the emphasis is that we want to get off to a good start.

https://thefandc.radio.com/articles/grant-danny-spring-training-interviews

Offline mitlen

« Reply #105: February 21, 2019, 08:13:03 PM »
This is as close as I could get with Martinez's response to a question about his bullpen management. Paulsen was constantly talking over Martinez during this portion of the interview, which is why it jumps around so much. What was really frustrating is that Paulsen was cheering Martinez on the whole way, parroting this nonsense. Paulsen ripped Baker day after day for batting Difo second in the lineup but he agrees with Martinez that you need a huge division lead in order to properly balance bullpen usage.

https://thefandc.radio.com/articles/grant-danny-spring-training-interviews

Are you insinuating Paulsen sucks up?     :)

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #106: February 21, 2019, 08:31:43 PM »
Are you insinuating Paulsen sucks up?     :)

I don't get to listen to him much so I mostly know him from Twitter. Definitely he should have backed off in this case and let Martinez speak and certainly a little push back would have been more appropriate.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #107: February 21, 2019, 08:35:46 PM »
I don't get to listen to him much so I mostly know him from Twitter. Definitely he should have backed off in this case and let Martinez speak and certainly a little push back would have been more appropriate.

I usually do my walk abouts around 10 AM so I get to listen "regularly".     I find his interactions to be in the vein of "I'm smarter than you and your interpretation/knowledge is lacking."    He even does this occasionally to his partner  ...   Rouhier.    He never fails to mention all his appearances on other media platforms; his dog; his marriage; his diet, etc.     Maybe I listen to the show too much.    :shrug:

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #108: February 21, 2019, 08:39:40 PM »
I usually do my walk abouts around 10 AM so I get to listen "regularly".     I find his interactions to be in the vein of "I'm smarter than you and your interpretation/knowledge is lacking."    He even does this occasionally to his partner  ...   Rouhier.    He never fails to mention all his appearances on other media platforms; his dog; his marriage; his diet, etc.     Maybe I listen to the show too much.    :shrug:
I don't blame him for talking about his marriage--he can't believe he got lucky let alone find a wife.  She must be a saint.

I drove into town this afternoon and turned on 106.7.  Nats starting spring training.  Caps with a trade.  And whathisname the afternoon guy was talking about the Redskins draft and possible trades. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #109: February 21, 2019, 08:41:22 PM »
I don't blame him for talking about his marriage--he can't believe he got lucky let alone find a wife.  She must be a saint.

I drove into town this afternoon and turned on 106.7.  Nats starting spring training.  Caps with a trade.  And whathisname the afternoon guy was talking about the Redskins draft and possible trades. 

Dukes.    BTW, the 'skins were the first segment on Grant and Danny today as well.

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #110: February 21, 2019, 08:54:21 PM »
I usually do my walk abouts around 10 AM

Totally makes sense when you have dinner at 4pm and in bed at 8. I feel ya, bro !

Offline rileyn

« Reply #111: February 22, 2019, 06:55:56 AM »
Paulsen and Danny hated Dusty for batting Rendon 6th all year in 2017.  I will give them credit, they talk about Nats and Caps more than any other radio show in town, but yes, still dominated by Redskins talk.  The programming at 980 is as bad as it's ever been.  They should just convert to an easy listening station and call it a day.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #112: February 23, 2019, 11:13:39 AM »
No updates yesterday, there were no new quotes or interviews that I could find.

I wanted to rip the concept of no batting or pitching, just fielding and base running but in the end I kind of like it. There was one comment on Twitter that Martinez under did it last spring with the fundamentals so he's over compensating now, which has merit, this technique can easily piss of the players and back fire. But quite the opposite, based on the 1067 interviews they have bought in. The reason why goes back to the Boswell column, that Harper did so many basic things wrong that it was impossible to enforce that the rest of the team play the right way. So Martinez has successfully turned basic, boring, high school drills into a team wide eff you to Harper.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #113: February 23, 2019, 11:29:42 AM »
I heard Lovero this morning. He said Martinez probably thought last year he was inheriting smarter players than he actually did. It’s kind of an indictment on the whole organization that they were so poor at fundamentals. Don’t think it was just last year. In previous seasons they had enough pitching  and hitting to overcome. And little or no competition. Team is improved but the division will be much tougher this year.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #114: February 23, 2019, 11:38:32 AM »
I heard Lovero this morning. He said Martinez probably thought last year he was inheriting smarter players than he actually did. It’s kind of an indictment on the whole organization that they were so poor at fundamentals. Don’t think it was just last year. In previous seasons they had enough pitching  and hitting to overcome. And little or no competition. Team is improved but the division will be much tougher this year.

That's such a load of crap. Martinez is chock full of excuses. The team he took over won 97 games despite injuries every bit as bad as last year.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #115: February 23, 2019, 11:39:17 AM »
Harper did so many basic things wrong that it was impossible to enforce that the rest of the team play the right way.

I believe that, and doesn't it reinforce the theory that they never wanted him back to begin with, the 10/300 offer, they knew there was a 99+% chance he would reject it,  the offer was made to satisfy the fans.  I also think all the other teams are smart enough to know this about Harper, and I seriously doubt that he has any offer on the table close to what he thinks he's worth.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #116: February 23, 2019, 11:41:35 AM »
I believe that, and doesn't it reinforce the theory that they never wanted him back to begin with, the 10/300 offer, they knew there was a 99+% chance he would reject it,  the offer was made to satisfy the fans.  I also think all the other teams are smart enough to know this about Harper, and I seriously doubt that he has any offer on the table close to what he thinks he's worth.

I think the offer was made to sate Boras...not the fans...

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #117: February 23, 2019, 11:48:42 AM »
I think the offer was made to sate Boras...not the fans...

$300 million, even with deferrals and without options, was a very serious offer. Ownership wanted him back.

Once it became clear Harper wasn't returning the coaching staff used that fact to rally the rest of the team. I'm not sure if Martinez has the instincts to devise such a plan but he's the manager so he gets credit.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #118: February 23, 2019, 11:53:48 AM »
They just replayed part of yesterday's interview.     My brain just melted.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #119: February 23, 2019, 02:54:36 PM »
$300 million, even with deferrals and without options, was a very serious offer. Ownership wanted him back.

Oh my God. I agree.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #120: February 23, 2019, 03:36:00 PM »
Oh my God. I agree.

Yeah, but they've moved on, if you still think that an offer is open you haven't been paying attention.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #121: February 23, 2019, 03:56:50 PM »
Yeah, but they've moved on, if you still think that an offer is open you haven't been paying attention.

They've always said there's still a chance. Rizzo said it a week or so, and Lerner said it yesterday. And what they say is not not necessarily what they mean anyway. If you believe baseball people negotiate in the press, you haven't been paying attention.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #124: February 26, 2019, 01:14:01 PM »
Do people really subscribe to online newspapers?

capital weather gang is worth the cost of a WP subscription