Author Topic: PB69 presents "Fire Dave Martinez" (2019)  (Read 40480 times)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
PB69 presents "Fire Dave Martinez" (2019)
« Topic Start: January 26, 2019, 05:23:26 PM »
PB69 presents "Fire Dave Martinez" index:

2017 - https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=35905.0
2018 - https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=38114.0
2019 - https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=38115.0

Martinez is an idiot. He inspires zero confidence. When Rizzo introduced him like 2 people clapped.
He’s said “fundamentals” at least 15 times. “Play the game the right way” 10 times.

Offline rileyn

Re: PB69 presents "Fire Dave Martinez" (2019)
« Reply #1: January 27, 2019, 07:23:54 AM »
They would be best to keep Davey away from any microphones.  Just give him the Bruce Allen treatment.  Avoid press conferences and the media in general.  Every time the guy opens his mouth, he makes it clear that he brings nothing to the table. 

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #2: January 27, 2019, 08:24:26 AM »
They would be best to keep Davey away from any microphones.  Just give him the Bruce Allen treatment.  Avoid press conferences and the media in general.  Every time the guy opens his mouth, he makes it clear that he brings nothing to the table. 

He said that he's spent the off-season watching game film and getting familiar with the DC area. The guy has work ethic and desire, just doesn't seem to have the smarts. I think that if Rizzo called him into his office and said any cliché three times that Martinez would have it on repeat for months.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #3: January 27, 2019, 09:53:24 AM »
Can't  le as rn leadership. Either have it or not.

BTW I hate the "it's too early " talk but isn't it too early to be calling for Martinez to be fired?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #4: January 27, 2019, 10:03:45 AM »
Can't learn leadership. Either have it or not.

BTW I hate the "it's too early " talk but isn't it too early to be calling for Martinez to be fired?

It's too late for an annulment and he sure isn't going to quit, so fire him.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #5: January 27, 2019, 10:11:45 AM »
It's too late for an annulment and he sure isn't going to quit, so fire him.

JHC they’re not firing anybody 3 weeks before training camp starts so give it a rest already.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #6: January 27, 2019, 10:57:59 AM »
JHC they’re not firing anybody 3 weeks before training camp starts so give it a rest already.

He just did his first public appearance in weeks and by all accounts I've read it didn't go well, even though he knew the questions in advance. The fact that the team changed the hot stove format to protect him shows that they are fully aware of his deficiencies, they are just stuck because they want to shed the reputation that they grind through managers.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #7: January 27, 2019, 10:59:58 AM »
He just did his first public appearance in weeks and by all accounts I've read it didn't go well, even though he knew the questions in advance. The fact that the team changed the hot stove format to protect him shows that they are fully aware of his deficiencies, they are just stuck because they want to shed the reputation that they grind through managers.

:blah: :blah: :blah:

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #8: January 27, 2019, 11:08:21 AM »
:blah: :blah: :blah:

MLB message board in January, you had higher expectations?

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #9: January 27, 2019, 11:13:48 AM »
I wonder what our record would have been with no manager last year?  Just use the protocol of whoever makes decisions when the manager gets tossed.  I bet it wouldn't have been worse. 

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #10: January 27, 2019, 11:25:32 AM »
MLB message board in January, you had higher expectations?

You're a one note samba 24/7/365 with your hardon for Martinez. With training camp starting in less than 3 weeks and with the additions that Rizzo has made I'm looking forward to this season.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #11: January 27, 2019, 11:38:49 AM »
You're a one note samba 24/7/365 with your hardon for Martinez. With training camp starting in less than 3 weeks and with the additions that Rizzo has made I'm looking forward to this season.

It's been six weeks, hardly 24/7. But as long as Martinez remains as manager he's the single biggest weak spot on this team, not keeping up the pressure for a change would be irresponsible.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #12: January 27, 2019, 12:59:41 PM »
if his big deficiency is his ability to communicate with SPHs and the media, then that's a big :shrug: to me.  I know it is part of the package now and it helps to have a guy who can deflect pressure off the team, but I care more about stupid baseball decisions, poor attention to detail, and favoritism than how he sounds.  It may be he has problems on the latter two things I care about, but the fact he doesn't wow the SPHs matters little to me.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #13: January 27, 2019, 01:02:51 PM »
if his big deficiency is his ability to communicate with SPHs and the media, then that's a big :shrug: to me.  I know it is part of the package now and it helps to have a guy who can deflect pressure off the team, but I care more about stupid baseball decisions, poor attention to detail, and favoritism than how he sounds.  It may be he has problems on the latter two things I care about, but the fact he doesn't wow the SPHs matters little to me.
Imagine Casey Stengel at one of those. Or Yogi.

Fundamentals! 

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #14: January 27, 2019, 01:15:26 PM »

He led the team to a 15 game drop in wins, in a season when ownership increased payroll to the second highest AAV in the league. This isn't an entry level job, he wasted a year with Harper, Rendon, Strasburg, Scherzer, and Soto, we won't have rosters like that forever.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15: January 27, 2019, 01:18:49 PM »
Imagine Casey Stengel at one of those. Or Yogi.

Fundamentals! 
the two best Red Sox managers between Dick Williams and Tito were Walpole's Joe Morgan (not the 2d baseman) and Jimy Williams.  Morgan was laconic but got a pass because he talked like a New Englander but Jimy got grief for his countryisms ("if a frog had wings, it wouldn't bump its booty").  both came off as kind of dumb at times but were much, much sharper when it came to baseball than they let on.  Yet another reason to hate Dan Shaughnessy.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16: January 27, 2019, 01:32:19 PM »

In today’s baseball world where every team has huge analytics departments, the two main jobs a manager has is to be the face of the franchise to the public and to maintain clubhouse unity.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17: January 27, 2019, 01:42:30 PM »
In today’s baseball world where every team has huge analytics departments, the two main jobs a manager has is to be the face of the franchise to the public and to maintain clubhouse unity.
I just think, short of being an axe-murderer / drunk driver / pedo, the former is a heck of a lot less important than the latter.  I love me some Dave Roberts and Alex Cora, but in-game tactics and longer term strategy matter more than PR BS.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18: January 27, 2019, 07:52:21 PM »
I just think, short of being an axe-murderer / drunk driver / pedo, the former is a heck of a lot less important than the latter.  I love me some Dave Roberts and Alex Cora, but in-game tactics and longer term strategy matter more than PR BS.

I mean do we have evidence that Davey is good at tactics and long term management. Also, I think you are seriously underestimating how being bad at PR can screw up clubhouse chemistry.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19: January 28, 2019, 11:29:05 AM »
I mean do we have evidence that Davey is good at tactics and long term management. Also, I think you are seriously underestimating how being bad at PR can screw up clubhouse chemistry.
I don't think we have enough evidence to say he's good or bad in terms of tactics.  Supposedly understands and uses analytics. There's some evidence the Nats were good at defensive positioning last year, which might support that, and I personally like some of his batting order flexibility.  That said, there were a number of WTF decisions last year too, and I think he mismanaged his bullpen at times (dry humping Madsen kind of burned him out; poor communications with various guys before dl stints, etc...).  If you are saying "chemistry" includes not being able to talk to his bullpen, then you may be onto something.  I don't count that as PR, which is more dealing with grumpy SPHs and social media know-it-alls, as well as scintillating post-games on MASN.  Cora does do this stuff very well, but I think there's more than that that explains how he did v. Martinez.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #20: January 28, 2019, 11:43:59 AM »
I (can only) hope that Martinez learned from last year and that putting fun first and being a player's buddy before being a manager was the wrong way to go. We saw last summer that he does a lot of talking to his coaching staff, wears a worried look on his face way too often. We need to see a man serious about managing, smile or laugh (when appropriate) at times. He was hired to do a job, and too often it seemed like he let the distractions, most of which he created, get in the way of his doing that job. In 2019, he has to show he can do the job, because if the team doesn't perform at least close to expectations, he needs to get fired, even if he's the Lerner's favorite manager ever because he was and still is a cheap hire.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #21: January 28, 2019, 12:51:08 PM »
Unicorn sighting  :shock:

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #22: January 28, 2019, 01:53:38 PM »

Thank you, it's always good to be sighted anywhere...

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #23: January 28, 2019, 02:13:34 PM »
I didn't think it was so rare, but then I thought "Oh, Twitter."

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #24: February 03, 2019, 08:21:10 PM »

:shock: :shock:

Damn, almost 8 years.  I've been to Montreal twice and never bothered to look Ken up cause, well, is he among the living?