Author Topic: PB69 presents "Fire Dave Martinez" (2019)  (Read 41443 times)

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
Re: PB69 presents "Fire Dave Martinez" (2019)
« Reply #4075: October 08, 2019, 09:26:13 PM »
The Doyers have Corbin figured out.  He'd be a second to last resort for me...right before Juander.
You must be talking about the fact that the Doyers learned how to lay off his junk.  Well, it's up to him to make an adjustment to that.  He's getting paid BIG  BUCKS to make the necessary adjustments.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #4076: October 08, 2019, 09:28:25 PM »
You must be talking about the fact that the Doyers learned how to lay off his junk.  Well, it's up to him to make an adjustment to that.  He's getting paid BIG  BUCKS to make the necessary adjustments.

He only has so many arrows in his quiver...

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #4077: October 08, 2019, 09:38:51 PM »
Right, because after 109 innings they just now figured him out :roll:

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #4078: October 08, 2019, 09:41:22 PM »
Right, because after 109 innings they just now figured him out :roll:

Have you not been watching the games?

Offline djbaseball13

« Reply #4079: October 08, 2019, 11:22:15 PM »
What choice do we have though?  That's our big disadvantage going into tomorrow's game.  The Dodgers will go with Buehler and Kershaw,  we'll have to back Strasburg up with someone starting around the 6th or 7th (in a best case scenario) to bridge to Doolittle / Hudson.  We need someone to give us 1-2 innings, who's better than Corbin in the current pen?

No!  We need to plan for Stras to go 7, 8 or all 9. Can you imagine a scenario where Stras takes the mound in the 9th?  It would be like Scherzer yesterday in the 7th.  If we need a lefty then we should go with Doolittle. We can all learn from the Astros (especially you Dave martinez!)  Verlander pitched today on 3 days rest and got shelled by the Rays! The extra day(s) rest really make a difference. The only other way is to utilize your bullpen strengths. But, we don't have that option.  There are many ways to win baseball games... The 2019 Nats must have great starting pitching DEEP into games!   

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #4080: October 08, 2019, 11:29:31 PM »
So should the Nats start Suero ?  Then have Rodney for an inning ?  Then have Stras pitch innings 3-9 ?

Offline djbaseball13

« Reply #4081: October 08, 2019, 11:34:11 PM »
I think you're completely right. In my mind, I can't think of a situation where the Nationals take the field in the bottom of the sixth without Strasburg that doesn't have the Nationals in an ugly situation.

here's what I have seen fron Strasburg.  60% good Stras (6-7 quality innings 1-2 runs)  15% bad Stras (5 innings > 4 runs)  15% GREAT Stras (7+ innings and 0-1 run)  So, we should plan for good Stras to go 7 innings which gives us a great chance. We can't win without scoring anyway.  BUT.... if we get GREAT Stras then we shoud let him go 8 or all 9 innings. Do you guys remember when we took out Jordan Zimmermann with 2 outs in the 9th?  was that a good decision? 

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4082: October 08, 2019, 11:45:56 PM »
I think our only chance is to somehow get to Buehler early. I can’t imagine falling behind and then having to face Kershaw then Ryu. Even if Strasburg throws a gem, I can’t see it going well if we don’t get ahead early.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #4083: October 08, 2019, 11:58:00 PM »
So should the Nats start Suero ?  Then have Rodney for an inning ?  Then have Stras pitch innings 3-9 ?
No, those two guys should not be pitching at all tomorrow. 

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #4084: October 08, 2019, 11:59:24 PM »
I think our only chance is to somehow get to Buehler early. I can’t imagine falling behind and then having to face Kershaw then Ryu. Even if Strasburg throws a gem, I can’t see it going well if we don’t get ahead early.
Yes, that would be ideal.  Do you really believe the ideal scenario will play out?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4085: October 09, 2019, 12:09:14 AM »
Yes, that would be ideal.  Do you really believe the ideal scenario will play out?

It’s baseball. Anything can happen. The Nats are due some good fortune.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #4086: October 09, 2019, 12:30:45 AM »
Can you imagine a scenario where Stras takes the mound in the 9th?

:lmao:

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #4087: October 09, 2019, 12:35:25 AM »

Right????
:pray:

Offline djbaseball13

« Reply #4088: October 09, 2019, 04:10:38 AM »

:lmao:

-- Stephen Strasburg was too tough, even for the top team in the majors.  Strasburg (14-4) took over the major league lead in wins after striking out nine, walking none and limiting a potent Dodgers lineup to one run and two hits. He threw 67 of 100 pitches for strikes.

Strasburg beat Buehler in this game Jul 28. And, he was pretty dominant in game 2 in LA.  In that game, he threw 85 pitches in 6 innings.  And remember, he had pitched 3 innnings in the WC game too. Now he's at full rest.  So based on those 2 games, he could go 8 strong innings topping out around 113 pitches.   
I'd consider his 0.64 postseason ERA as another Stat that you can't ignore. It's amazing how Nationals fans only remember the injuries and (the very few) Strasburg's poor pitching games. In this case, I think you can be optimistic and realistic at the same time. 

Offline vicki4471

« Reply #4089: October 09, 2019, 08:24:31 AM »

Ithink between the bloop broken bat single, the Taylor HBP and the error in right we used our good fortune in the Wildcard game. Now we need a miracle.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #4090: October 09, 2019, 08:38:06 AM »
... And I know our bullpen stinks and they know they stink, but for the manager to effectively state that he has no confidence in any one of them can't be great for morale.

Going back to this from a couple weeks ago, when Martinez announced that he'd use all four starters in the wild card before his bullpen. I'm wondering how much that public statement declaring a lack of confidence in the pen has become self fulfilling. These guys aren't great, but they're major league pitchers and now whenever Martinez calls on them they are fully aware that the expectation is that they'll bomb.

In five playoff games Martinez has used bullpen guys other than Doolittle and Hudson just twice, both times when the Nats were behind. Only one of the seven appearances could be described as a good outing (Rainey, game 3). They're bad, but not that bad. Everyone is making excuses for Martinez that he doesn't have much to work with but he sure didn't do anything to help the situation.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #4091: October 09, 2019, 08:41:08 AM »

I'd start Stras, move him to RF to rest his arm for the fourth and seventh, then bring him back to finish.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #4092: October 09, 2019, 09:08:17 AM »
Have you not been watching the games?
Have you? Did you miss his 7 inning shutout earlier this year?

He had a bad game. It happens. The Dodgers haven't figured out crap against him.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #4093: October 09, 2019, 09:08:57 AM »
Going back to this from a couple weeks ago, when Martinez announced that he'd use all four starters in the wild card before his bullpen. I'm wondering how much that public statement declaring a lack of confidence in the pen has become self fulfilling. These guys aren't great, but they're major league pitchers and now whenever Martinez calls on them they are fully aware that the expectation is that they'll bomb.

In five playoff games Martinez has used bullpen guys other than Doolittle and Hudson just twice, both times when the Nats were behind. Only one of the seven appearances could be described as a good outing (Rainey, game 3). They're bad, but not that bad. Everyone is making excuses for Martinez that he doesn't have much to work with but he sure didn't do anything to help the situation.
They're performing in the postseason the way they performed in the regular season.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4094: October 09, 2019, 09:10:32 AM »
I think Corbin was pretty effective in game 1. And some are treating it as a bad start.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #4095: October 09, 2019, 09:15:49 AM »
After Stras I would go with Corbin but on a short leash. Hell, all pitchers are on a short leash tonight. Stras, Corbin, Voth, Doo, Hudson. That's about it.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #4096: October 09, 2019, 09:16:34 AM »
They're performing in the postseason the way they performed in the regular season.

Really? Suero 27.0 (both inherited runners scored), Rainey 13.5, Strickland 18.0, Rodney 0.0 (both inherited runners scored). They were not good but they weren't the complete and total disaster they've been in October.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #4097: October 09, 2019, 09:28:35 AM »
I think Corbin was pretty effective in game 1. And some are treating it as a bad start.
5 walks is not a good start and is the scariest part about putting him for matchup reasons in a tight game.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #4098: October 09, 2019, 10:03:46 AM »

You should consider watching more Baseball and Baseball related content from other teams.

Did you know... in both pregame press conferences for the A.L Wildcard teams, both managers also said what Dave did. All hands on deck, everything including the kitchen sink. Dave's talk and willingness to use SP as RP in elimination or Playoff games isn't unlike any team in the same situation

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #4099: October 09, 2019, 10:04:35 AM »

Keep reaching, man.