Author Topic: The Bashin' A's Heading to Las Vegas?  (Read 1130 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
The Bashin' A's Heading to Las Vegas?
« Topic Start: October 08, 2019, 06:17:36 PM »
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mlb-oakland-athletics-may-leave-city-for-las-vegas-stadium-lawsuit-2019-10-08/

Gist of the situation is that the A's are trying to acquire land for a new ballpark, and the city is saying that any land deals must first make room for public space and affordable housing.  Given the housing crunch in that area, it seems that bulldozing both the Colosseum and the Oracle Arena next door to build housing might make more sense than building a new A's ballpark.

The crazy part is that the owner isn't asking for public funds to build the stadium.

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: The Bashin' A's Heading to Las Vegas?
« Reply #1: October 08, 2019, 08:13:21 PM »
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mlb-oakland-athletics-may-leave-city-for-las-vegas-stadium-lawsuit-2019-10-08/

Gist of the situation is that the A's are trying to acquire land for a new ballpark, and the city is saying that any land deals must first make room for public space and affordable housing.  Given the housing crunch in that area, it seems that bulldozing both the Colosseum and the Oracle Arena next door to build housing might make more sense than building a new A's ballpark.

The crazy part is that the owner isn't asking for public funds to build the stadium.

He’s asking for land in the Bay Area which is worth far more than whatever St. Louis or Cobb county pay towards stadiums

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #2: October 09, 2019, 07:29:43 AM »
It's a shame the Giants didn't let the A's move to San Jose. That would have made a lot of sense. Moving the A's to Las Vegas also makes a decent amount of sense, aren't they the most popular team there already?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #3: October 10, 2019, 12:21:41 PM »

The A's ballpark wouldn't be on the Coliseum site - it's supposed to be at Howard Terminal.  The crazier part is that public space and affordable housing is almost exactly what the A's are proposing to do with the Coliseum site absent the City's intervention.

It's a shame the Giants didn't let the A's move to San Jose. That would have made a lot of sense. Moving the A's to Las Vegas also makes a decent amount of sense, aren't they the most popular team there already?

Especially considering that, back in the day, the A's agreed - as an uncompensated gesture of goodwill - to a territorial division that gave San Jose to the Giants because the Giants wanted to move there. 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #4: October 10, 2019, 12:33:16 PM »
bryce harper is going to be so upset that he committed to 13 years in philly when there is a team in vegas

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #5: October 10, 2019, 02:07:12 PM »
Especially considering that, back in the day, the A's agreed - as an uncompensated gesture of goodwill - to a territorial division that gave San Jose to the Giants because the Giants wanted to move there. 

I don't know how 2010, 2012, and 2014 have changed things, but all the tech nerds I knew in college who went on to work in Silicon Valley were big Billy Beane fans who appreciated how the A's saw and ran things and started going to A's games as soon as they moved to Northern California. The professional gamblers I know also all love Billy Beane, though.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #6: October 10, 2019, 02:29:11 PM »

I thought the Dodgers were.  Vegas is closer to LA, and I think the Las Vegas 51s were an affiliate of the Dodgers for a good while.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #7: October 10, 2019, 03:12:46 PM »
I don't know how 2010, 2012, and 2014 have changed things, but all the tech nerds I knew in college who went on to work in Silicon Valley were big Billy Beane fans who appreciated how the A's saw and ran things and started going to A's games as soon as they moved to Northern California. The professional gamblers I know also all love Billy Beane, though.

They've changed things a lot.  The Peninsula is very heavily black and orange these days.  The gameday and night Caltrains are jammed with people from Palo Alto on down to San Jose.