Author Topic: A Thank You to the Nationals  (Read 2275 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Re: A Thank You to the Nationals
« Reply #25: October 08, 2019, 09:26:12 PM »
yeah, definitely this and 2012 were my favorite teams.  The Zimm/Willingham/Dunn years were fun too.

EXTEND DUNN!!!

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #26: October 08, 2019, 09:40:29 PM »
What’s not to like? A team that can’t at least make the NLDS. The Mets are hardly ever in the playoffs and made the World Series in 2015.

Let's just say you and I have a different take on what entertainment is.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #27: October 08, 2019, 10:16:22 PM »
For me, it has been an entertaining year and therefore not a failed year. I'm never going to be content unless they advance and eventually win a WS but I'm not going to not enjoy my time as fan in the meantime.

A failed year for me would have been not making the postseason. Instead, we've enjoyed two of the best games in Nationals history in the last week. What's not to like.

I think it depends on what happens with Rendon and Strasburg- I’d they return, I don’t think this season goes down as a failure if they lose to the dodgers, if they leave and the guys we got as compensation for the years of utter suck peak with division series exits, then it’s a massive failure

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #28: October 08, 2019, 11:08:06 PM »
Losing is acceptable when the other team actually beats you. 

never

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #29: October 08, 2019, 11:17:46 PM »
ImRef - that is an interesting analogy.  I have to say 2005 being the 1st year was a fan special.  and I remember 2012, for it was our last year in DC and we all thought the WS was a lock.  But this year - with The shark, the fan shark root, the HR dance, and the coming back after the 1st 1/3 of the season - it moves Nats fans like none of us have seen before.  In a town where we are all suppose to split into 2 groups and not work with the other heathens, the Nats have merged the heathens into a single community that can have fun despite the political barriers.

yeah, definitely this and 2012 were my favorite teams.  The Zimm/Willingham/Dunn years were fun too.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #30: October 08, 2019, 11:48:23 PM »
ImRef - that is an interesting analogy.  I have to say 2005 being the 1st year was a fan special.  and I remember 2012, for it was our last year in DC and we all thought the WS was a lock.  But this year - with The shark, the fan shark root, the HR dance, and the coming back after the 1st 1/3 of the season - it moves Nats fans like none of us have seen before.  In a town where we are all suppose to split into 2 groups and not work with the other heathens, the Nats have merged the heathens into a single community that can have fun despite the political barriers.
Nats would've won the 2012 NLDS if Stras hadn't been shut down.  Total mismanagement of an ace pitcher.  That and the Gio/Storen choke job in Game 5 ruined the entire season for me. 

This season, there was no egregious mismanagement of players.  I just want to see a well played game tomorrow, and I'll be happy (win or lose -- although winning is better).  But if this team blows another 6-run lead, it would ruin the entire season for me.

BTW -- Adam Dunn never appeared in a post season game.  I associate Adam Dunn with losing.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #31: October 09, 2019, 12:27:46 AM »
:doh:

Offline van lingle mungo

« Reply #32: October 09, 2019, 01:41:33 AM »
If they lose it’s another failed year. They need to at least win a real playoff series.

It's as simple as that. Well said. It's gotten awfully sappy here, even more so than usual. Just win, baby.

Offline djbaseball13

« Reply #33: October 09, 2019, 03:53:34 AM »

Yes the 2005 team was special. They were the real underdogs/overachievers. As it turned out, the July 4th game was the turning point as we lost to the Mets and it went all downhill after that. It was a packed RFK stadium and Kieth Hernandez and Ron Darling got the only cab in sight (about 30 seconds before I tried to flag it down)  Livian hernandez, Jose Vidro, Chad Cordero, Vinny Castillo, etc. Too bad we didn't have Vlad Guerro Sr. here for the fun!

Offline Scrapple

« Reply #34: October 09, 2019, 07:04:17 AM »
Let there be no confusion. If we lose, we ALL get sucked into a black hole and DIE.

“failure is not an option”!!!

Stras-burg! Stras-burg! Stras-burg! Stras-burg! #37 :)

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #35: October 09, 2019, 09:35:04 AM »
What’s not to like? A team that can’t at least make the NLDS. The Mets are hardly ever in the playoffs and made the World Series in 2015.
I'll take a Nats fan over being a Mets or Marlins fan any day.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #36: October 09, 2019, 09:35:05 AM »
It's as simple as that. Well said. It's gotten awfully sappy here, even more so than usual. Just win, baby.

Not that simple really. I think different fans want different things from their teams.

Sure, all fans want to win, and win it all as often as possible. But given that's not really realistic, it comes down to how a fan views coming up short just about every year.

To me, if they compete and get in the playoffs and give themselves a chance (like this year), then it has been a good year. If they don't make the playoffs, then for me it has been a failed year.

For others it's good enough just fielding a decent, above .500 team that's fun to watch and follow. I have no problem with that, either. On the other hand, if someone considers it a failed year if they don't win it all, then they're going to be disappointed most of the time. Whatever works for you.

Offline tenken627

« Reply #37: October 09, 2019, 09:41:15 AM »
No matter whether you believe its a failed year or not... lose tonight and that's five NLDS losses in a row...

That's crushing if you take a step back.

Only thing worse I can think of in the modern era is the Minnesota Twin's 16 straight postseason game losses.

Offline mdnatsfan

« Reply #38: October 09, 2019, 09:46:23 AM »
Their guy tonight is no better than our guy.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #39: October 09, 2019, 09:46:51 AM »
No matter whether you believe its a failed year or not... lose tonight and that's five NLDS losses in a row...

Only thing worse I can think of in the modern era is the Minnesota Twin's 16 straight postseason game losses.

Crushing is a bit strong for me but, yeah, a huge disappointment. The first one was the most painful because I think we got hosed by the umps. After that, I've been much more philosophical about it. Keep plugging and we will break through one year. It will be that much more sweeter when we do.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #40: October 09, 2019, 09:47:57 AM »
Their guy tonight is no better than our guy.

Yeah, but their second guy (Kershaw) is way much better than any of our guys that are available and rested. That's what has me wrapped tight today.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #41: October 09, 2019, 10:12:49 AM »
Yeah, but their second guy (Kershaw) is way much better than any of our guys that are available and rested. That's what has me wrapped tight today.
Kershaw Gabe up 3 runs in 6 innings. According to folks here that is awful. Maybe beyond awful.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #42: October 09, 2019, 10:15:53 AM »
Kershaw Gabe up 3 runs in 6 innings. According to folks here that is awful. Maybe beyond awful.

The Nats got to him a bit in the second game but we all know he's tough. And, unlike a lot of starters who are asked to relieve in the postseason, he's done it successfully before.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #43: October 09, 2019, 10:24:05 AM »

That is small stuff compared to the Washington Capitals. Ten playoff appearances and never making to the conference championship series. Like the Nats, they dominated most regular seasons.

The Capitals give me hope. Knock on the door enough times and you may just eventually get through.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #44: October 09, 2019, 10:24:41 AM »

the St Louis Blues of MLB :shock:
If they'd made different moves at the deadline, sure. But you can't win with such a weak lineup and no bullpen.

Offline tenken627

« Reply #45: October 09, 2019, 10:29:40 AM »
That is small stuff compared to the Washington Capitals. Ten playoff appearances and never making to the conference championship series. Like the Nats, they dominated most regular seasons.

The Capitals give me hope. Knock on the door enough times and you may just eventually get through.

The Capitals at least have won a few series though. Starting with just the second year they went to the postseason in the Ovechkin era (Sergei Federov! Dueling Ovechkin-Crosby hat tricks).

Out of those 10 playoff appearances, they won 6 playoff series before their Championship year in 2018.

It's a little apples to oranges comparison with different playoff formats, but at least the Caps have given some postseason joy before winning it all, where the Nats as of yet haven't. Zip. Nada (besides the Wild Card game a week ago)

Tonight at least there is a chance to change that.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #46: October 09, 2019, 10:31:29 AM »
The Nats got to him a bit in the second game but we all know he's tough. And, unlike a lot of starters who are asked to relieve in the postseason, he's done it successfully before.
I don’t recall he pitched that well in relief against the Nats in game 5 2016? He’s not unhittable anymore. You’re supposed to be mister sunshine. Why do I need to point this out?

Offline vicki4471

« Reply #47: October 09, 2019, 10:41:00 AM »
Kershaw is not as scary as he used to be. The Nats handled Ryu decently. Bueller was the scariest we have seen from them so far. I hope we can jump on him early and get him out of there. If they cannot hit him I at least hope they show some discipline at the plate and run up his pitch count. We need him gone by 5

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #48: October 09, 2019, 10:44:58 AM »
I don’t recall he pitched that well in relief against the Nats in game 5 2016? He’s not unhittable anymore. You’re supposed to be mister sunshine. Why do I need to point this out?

I got your sunshine right here. Kidding, kidding. It's just pre-game nerves.

We are going to crush the Dodgers tonight and roll into the NLCS! Is that better?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #49: October 09, 2019, 11:02:52 AM »
I got your sunshine right here. Kidding, kidding. It's just pre-game nerves.

We are going to crush the Dodgers tonight and roll into the NLCS! Is that better?
Yes. Continue to think happy thoughts. I have a more relaxed feeling than other games fives. Maybe the underdog role is the reason.