Author Topic: Negativity from a usually positive person  (Read 2441 times)

Offline vicki4471

Re: Negativity from a usually positive person
« Reply #50: October 07, 2019, 02:19:23 PM »

I’m leaving for Santa Fe for a week on Thursday. I’m holding you to your word that it will make me feel better.  8)

Seriously Vicki-I know how you feel. Last night was such a sucker punch. It’s like we’ve all seen this movie before, and no matter how much we want to change the conclusion, the dog always dies at the end.  :'(

And even though they did a remake of the movie this year and changed a few details to create a few more feel good moments, the damn dog is still going to ultimately die.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #51: October 07, 2019, 02:35:00 PM »
“The journey is what brings us happiness not the destination.”

Bruce Allen or Kirk Cousins?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #52: October 07, 2019, 02:37:41 PM »
Off topic , but is pretty much everyone from here either  a resident of the DC area now or was a resident at some point? In other sports who are your faves or does everyone basically cheer for all DC area teams?

I think it's safe to say that most posters here are in the region. But we have our share of out of town posters.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #53: October 07, 2019, 02:44:07 PM »
Can this team really ride 2 pitchers all the way to the world series?

No of course not.  But they can ride these two to an NLDS win, and that'll be more than we've ever accomplished.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #54: October 07, 2019, 02:48:04 PM »

I think it's safe to say that most posters here are in the region. But we have our share of out of town posters.

....   and dual fan loyalty.     :)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #55: October 07, 2019, 02:48:17 PM »

Those out of town posters are the best...

Offline spidernat

« Reply #56: October 07, 2019, 02:58:54 PM »
....   and dual fan loyalty.     :)

:?

Those out of town posters are the best DOUCHEBAGS...

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #57: October 07, 2019, 03:03:34 PM »
Spider must be referring to Skippy

Offline wj73

« Reply #58: October 07, 2019, 04:09:52 PM »
And even though they did a remake of the movie this year and changed a few details to create a few more feel good moments, the damn dog is still going to ultimately die.

Offline vicki4471

« Reply #59: October 07, 2019, 04:37:14 PM »
In this metaphor the Nats are the dog right???

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #60: October 07, 2019, 04:48:02 PM »

:hysterical:

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #61: October 07, 2019, 05:18:37 PM »
...I'm married to a Braves fan...

Wow, talk about "in sickness and in health"  :P

I was thinking, "Til death do you part."

Offline wj73

« Reply #62: October 07, 2019, 05:29:48 PM »

Yep. And we’re all hoping that in this version of the movie, Old Yeller has a current rabies vaccination so he doesn’t get rabies from the rabid wolf, and lives happily ever after.  :mg:

Offline djbaseball13

« Reply #63: October 07, 2019, 05:32:02 PM »
I need a pep talk. I'm usually an optimist and always look for the bright side, but after last night I feel really sad and well... negative. As soon as Corbin imploded it hit me like a ton of bricks. Can this team really ride 2 pitchers all the way to the world series? Because honestly that is what it would take. Sanchez did fine but 5 innings just is not going to work. After that 5th inning what happens next? I feel like a win last night and then Max tonight.... was the only shot we had to wrap this up. Stras is pitching game 5 but its in LA. I really dont feel confident that we can clinch this in LA. Please someone through me some encouragement...

3 things to cheer you up
1. Sanchez can go more than 5 innings.  (pss, someone needs to tell Davey)
2. Max will win tonight
3. Game 2 was no fluke; Stras IS GREAT. Nat's win in 5
4. Corbin will be ok... just not vs Dodgers!
5. Doolittle is back! He just needs another chance

Offline djbaseball13

« Reply #64: October 07, 2019, 05:33:47 PM »
You have your health.

You have access to the internet.

You are capable of going to New Mexico and eating the best food on the planet.

I prefer Tex-Mex

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #65: October 07, 2019, 05:40:55 PM »
I prefer Tex-Mex
Well we've already established that you have poor reasoning skills

Offline djbaseball13

« Reply #66: October 07, 2019, 05:47:12 PM »
Get a prescription as a pep talk won't help. Sorry but you are one of tens of thousands. Watching the implosion was not as bad as knowing Corbin wasn't the answer before he took the mound. I have spent a good part of my morning texting my brother and seat partner about last nite. There wasn't a lot of choices for DM. I would have let Sanchez come out for the sixth with a short leash. Voth is too inexperienced to pitch in a close play off game

Yes, Sanchez pitched great and he could have went 6 innings, but then what?  I actually think Voth would have been a good option, but maybe today? Corbin wasn't fully rested and ready for the task last night. Davey wanted him to go 2 innings which was really a long shot. The master plan had major leaks. I read that Max told Davey that he needed an extra days rest. So, if Max needs it then Corbin and Stras also need it. If you look historically at postseason baseball, you will see many good/great pitchers pitched poorly on short rest.
Here's a plan:  Max and/or Stras can go all 9 innings for a change!  If we need relief then Doolittle and Husdon should get the call. If we make it to NLCS then Sanchez,Corbin (and Voth)  will be fully rested so they can pitch DEEP into games 1 and 2. Nats fans (and managers) need to realise that our bullpen is THE WOSRT. So, armed with this PROVEN knowledge we need to adjust accordingly.

We need 2 things to happen to win from here on out
1. Starters need to go deep into games
2. The bats need to wake up.    Our bullpen IS NOT going to win it for us!

Offline djbaseball13

« Reply #67: October 07, 2019, 05:48:46 PM »
Well we've already established that you have poor reasoning skills

The New Mexico chiles are starting to affect your brain. I know this because I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #68: October 07, 2019, 05:49:46 PM »
I keep thinking, hoping, that maybe, just maybe our offense will break out and open up a can so large that even our bullpen can't blow it.  How about somebody hitting a clutch bomb that just opens the floodgates.  You never know. 

YESSSS! Omg we can't ALWAYS go cold in the playoffs!!!!

Offline wj73

« Reply #69: October 07, 2019, 10:11:15 PM »
OLD YELLER LIVES!!!   :woop: :woop: :woop:

Offline vernon337

« Reply #70: October 08, 2019, 06:20:31 PM »
Don't know whether you're feeling any better after last night's win, but I imagine some of your worries still exist.  And the Dodgers are a formidable opponent. But ...

Even if the Dodgers are "a superior team" (I am not convinced of that) underdogs often win, especially in baseball, especially in a single game.

I am old enough to remember the 1954 World Series, when the Cleveland Indians entered the World Series having set a new American League record for most wins in a season.  They lost in four straight to the New York Giants, and the hero of the series was Dusty Rhodes, a utility player who never got 250 at bats in any season of his short career.

Or how about the 1960 series, when the Yankees scored almost three times as many runs as the Pirates in the first six games (46-17), only to lose in the winner-take-all seventh game on a home run by the weakest hitting player in the Pirates' lineup.

And it wasn't that long ago that the Kansas City Royals, a team that featured a lineup in which seven of the nine had below-average OPS+ numbers, snuck into the playoffs with only 89 wins.  And lost the World Series to San Francisco, which only won 88 games in the regular season. 

Anything can happen in a short series, and that's even more true in a winner-take-all game. And the hero could be anyone -- last year's World Series MVP was Steve Pearce. 

So hang in there.  The resilience this team has shown over the last 100+ games of the regular season and into the playoffs could be the deciding factor tomorrow night.  It's what I'm counting on.   

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #71: October 08, 2019, 10:59:04 PM »
Thanks Vernon, for you are so right.  And I thought I was the oldest geek on this chatboard ...

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #72: October 09, 2019, 04:21:25 PM »
The Dodgers have a deeper team, especially with their extra starting pitcher arms like Urias, Stripling, and "Gingergaard."  That gives them an advantage over the grind of 162.  However, our top of the line guys are every bit as good.  Tonight they are facing a pitcher that is as good as anybody right now.  They are facing a lineup that is dangerous top to bottom as well, with 2 good table setters up top, followed by Rendon, Soto, and Howie...that's tough. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #73: October 09, 2019, 07:56:32 PM »

YESSSS! Omg we can't ALWAYS go cold in the playoffs!!!!

Offline vicki4471

« Reply #74: October 10, 2019, 11:20:15 AM »
 I am obviously feeling much better today. Thanks to all of you for getting me through it. No baseball today and a couple of days to recover before any worry of elimination will rise.. I cant freaking believe they did it.. Is this really happening?